HELP! In an accident..car totaled..now what??

smileybrea

CPS Technician
I haven't been car shopping in 5 yrs and that was before I got into CSS. I was rear-ended last week..she was going 50mph and wasn't even trying to stop..yeah ouch. Ended up being a 5 car pile up with me being the first hit so 2 cars were totaled. Thankfully my kids weren't in the car..just me and I'm doing ok. Could've been worse but my neck and back are pretty messed up :(

Anyway...all that said, we will be shopping this weekend as we can only keep the rental until Tuesday and I have NO idea what to even look at. I had a 2007 Dodge Charger and loved it. Hated the loooong belt stalks, locking latchplates, and ELR (made for some challenging installs) but it had 3 sets of anchors in the back and 3 top tethers so it was workable.

We'd prefer something with 3rd row (we'll be TTC soon) but our budget is around $20,000 and under (preferably under) so anything that is big enough for 3 across will work too. B is boostered in a Monterey but still needs the Regent for some trips and C is in an XTSL. Not opposed to anything just something that's car seat friendly.

Thanks so much!

Last edited:
ADS

valleyfam

Sorry to hear about your accident. So glad your children weren't with you. I certainly hope your back and neck get back to normal. I don't really have any suggestions as your totaled car was newer than any of mine but I would think you could find a nice van in your budget if you are thinking in that direction. Good luck with new seat and car choices. That's a lot of decisions! Hope you get some new recommendations soon.

Mags462

Oh no! Glad you are OK and the kiddos weren't with you!

Are you looking to buy a car that will last a very long time? (eg buy and drive it until it "dies" or do you intend to drive it a few years and then trade it in for something newer?).... I ask because that will detemine my recs...

I always choose imports over domestics - they have better reliability and have higher resale. I love my Sienna, but a van may not be what you want to look at. Honestly i *drool* over the Toyota Venza - not sure about the seating arrangements, but man alive that thing is freakin slick!

The Acadia's are very popular but i think the first few years of that model have proven to have major problems. :eek:

What about a Ford Taurus X or Flex?? My friend had a Taurus X and really liked it. Stay away from the Freestyle years of it though because they tried a different tranny in it that is known to be problematic.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
My best friend has an 08 Mazda CX9 and it's awesome! I've done 3-across with a huge variety of seats. No center LATCH, but you can borrow if the CR allows, also no tether anchors for the 3rd row though so you wouldn't want a FF harnessed kid back there.

I really like the Highlanders too, I haven't put as many seats in them, longer buckle stalks but nothing that can't be overcome with a couple twists.

smileybrea

CPS Technician
Thanks for the recommendations so far. My grandpa is good friends with the owner of a Chevy dealership so we're headed down there tomorrow morning to see what we can find. I'm really nervous...our credit has taken a fall and DH isn't too optimistic we'll be able to get what we need for the payment we need.

Are you looking to buy a car that will last a very long time? (eg buy and drive it until it "dies" or do you intend to drive it a few years and then trade it in for something newer?).... I ask because that will detemine my recs...

Definitely a drive until it dies type of vehicle :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC