Please help me with the logistics of DD on the bus with special needs

Mommy0608

From our house, the school is maybe 2 miles away. We're kind of a rural district though so the buses travel farther away. I'm not sure if she'd be picked up on the way out or on the way back in (we live right in town).

I actually don't know what sublingual meds are. :eek:

ADS

Mommy0608

Ah, thanks. That makes sense. Might be worth looking into for the future.

I showed this thread to DH and we discussed it. I'll be driving her to and from school every day, and she'll ride the bus in a harness for field trips.

Thank you everyone for your help, I really appreciate it. Your comments helped us look at it from all angles and make a decision. Haven't told DD yet though.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
cat mommy said:
I would not feel comfortable with the bus driver near my daughter's naked butt. I would feel comfortable with either her teacher or a properly trained aide.

Mommy0608 said:
Ah, thanks. That makes sense. Might be worth looking into for the future.

I showed this thread to DH and we discussed it. I'll be driving her to and from school every day, and she'll ride the bus in a harness for field trips.

Thank you everyone for your help, I really appreciate it. Your comments helped us look at it from all angles and make a decision. Haven't told DD yet though.

I was also thinking along the lines of the other kids seeing the meds being given. There needs to be some kind of plan in place as to how public dosing can be done in a way that doesn't involve 25 6 year olds watching.

Evolily

I agree with driving her now.

At her next IEP I would request, with documentation from her neurologist, to have a trained aide on the bus with her so maybe she can ride it in the future! The aide need not single her out, just be an extra trained person nearby should she have a seizure.

Mommy0608

I was also thinking along the lines of the other kids seeing the meds being given. There needs to be some kind of plan in place as to how public dosing can be done in a way that doesn't involve 25 6 year olds watching.

Yeah, that's definitely another concern. In the classroom, the other kids are ushered out of the room. Not as easy on a bus of course. Perhaps there would be a blanket on board that someone (driver?) could hold up while the aide administers the medicine. I don't know. Definitely something to consider for the future.

I agree with driving her now.

At her next IEP I would request, with documentation from her neurologist, to have a trained aide on the bus with her so maybe she can ride it in the future! The aide need not single her out, just be an extra trained person nearby should she have a seizure.

Yeah, this might be something to consider for 1st grade next year. I keep hoping she'll just outgrow it, but the longer we go, the less likely she'll outgrow it (she's had it since birth). She has to go 2 years seizure-free in order to try going off meds to see if it's possibly outgrown. Her last seizure was in March, so two years from then puts us almost to the end of 1st grade. Even if she doesn't have another, there will be a period of time after that where she'd still need access to Diastat incase she had seizures off the daily medication.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Yeah, this might be something to consider for 1st grade next year. I keep hoping she'll just outgrow it, but the longer we go, the less likely she'll outgrow it (she's had it since birth). She has to go 2 years seizure-free in order to try going off meds to see if it's possibly outgrown. Her last seizure was in March, so two years from then puts us almost to the end of 1st grade. Even if she doesn't have another, there will be a period of time after that where she'd still need access to Diastat incase she had seizures off the daily medication.

You can have it added now (see my post way above). You just need an addendum to her IEP. If the IEP team (yourself included) doesn't want to write an addendum, just call another full IEP meeting.

Mommy0608

You can have it added now (see my post way above). You just need an addendum to her IEP. If the IEP team (yourself included) doesn't want to write an addendum, just call another full IEP meeting.

Yeah, that's true. I don't know if I want to do it this year or not. She can't ride the bus home anyway (only to school) because it's half-day and the AM/PM sessions are decided by street address. We're a PM address but she's going to AM because they are placing her with a couple of the kids from her ECDD class who have AM addresses. Next year when she's in school all day, she'd be allowed to ride the bus both ways, so it might be more worthwhile to go through the process next year.

I sure hope she outgrows this by 2nd grade when DS will be going to Kindergarten... there's no way she'll like being in a harness if DS is not! Guess we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

cat mommy

Is it possible to move her during a seizure? Because I am thinking driver pulls over, kids are ushered to the front, aide/teacher takes her to the rear seat and places a blanket over the seat to administer the medicine, while driver blocks the aisle so other kids don't go peeking.

Is it possible to get this drug in injection form? Cause that would just be so much better in terms of administration. Even if it had to go into her butt via IM injection, it would be into the top of her butt, so the aide could just pull down her pants a little. That would be a lot less traumatic--on a bus full of kids--than having to spread her butt cheeks and insert something into her rectum. KWIM?

Mommy0608

Is it possible to move her during a seizure? Because I am thinking driver pulls over, kids are ushered to the front, aide/teacher takes her to the rear seat and places a blanket over the seat to administer the medicine, while driver blocks the aisle so other kids don't go peeking.

Is it possible to get this drug in injection form? Cause that would just be so much better in terms of administration. Even if it had to go into her butt via IM injection, it would be into the top of her butt, so the aide could just pull down her pants a little. That would be a lot less traumatic--on a bus full of kids--than having to spread her butt cheeks and insert something into her rectum. KWIM?

Yes, it's possible to move her. She's small and light enough that she can be moved. She doesn't thrash around when having a seizure.

No idea if the med is available in injection form, but yes, that would be much less traumatic.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC