Booster with tether?

ajay

Is there such a thing as a booster with a tether or some kind of way to secure it other than just the seatbelt? Thanks in advance!

ADS

scatterbunny

The convenience is not to have to buckle up the empty booster so it doesn't become a projectile. :)

I like it from a safety standpoint and a comfort standpoint. It just seems safer to have the booster hooked to the vehicle; there's no data supporting that, though, so it's just a feeling. The comfort standpoint is that you don't have to worry about a tipping booster/complaining child. :p

If you think the Jane Indy Plus is spendy, you don't want to know about the other booster that can be hooked to the vehicle--the Recaro Start. ;) The IP uses lower anchors; the Start uses a top tether.

If I had LATCH I would seriously consider a Jane Indy Plus.

ajay

Ahhhh, I understand now!

What about the Safeguard Go? I see a pic of it at EliteCarSeats.com that shows in the backless booster mode (I would be using it with the back attached if possible) with the LATCH, but I can't tell if that's just a mistake in the picture.

scatterbunny

Yes, the Go uses the lower anchors in booster mode, but booster mode is only backless, which only positions belts properly to avoid seatbelt-syndrome injuries, it doesn't provide side impact protection like highback boosters do.

The Go must use the top tether at all times. In harnessed mode it is basically a travel vest/harness, so the top tether is what holds it up.

Many of us here feel like the Go is an awesome product for travel, but don't feel comfortable with it as an everyday seat because the lack of seat shell translates into less side impact protection.

ajay

Are there any options for a safer booster, then? (short of the Recaro Start) Having a tether or LATCH would make me feel better, but maybe it's all in my head! :)

Chameleon

I'm pretty sure you can tether the cargo in booster mode. I could be wrong, but it's one of those combinations boosters that you can use the tether in booster mode. Not that I think it makes a good booster.

scatterbunny

I personally feel that any booster that has energy absorbing foam and semi-deep headwings and (preferably) is subjected to some kind of side impact testing is a great booster. :) The Britax Monarch, Parkway, the Compass B510, the Recaro boosters (Young Style, new ones coming out soon), the Evenflo Confidence and the Graco TurboBooster are all good seats. They all have different pros and cons, but all have EPS foam. Most undergo side impact testing. Most have very deep sidewings, some are more confining than others. Some are easier or harder to buckle than others due to the path the lapbelt needs to take. Some provide more or less leg support than others. Some adjust taller than others. Some are more tippy than others (and this can depend on the vehicle, too).

CPSDarren has a good review of the Indy Plus in the review forum here. :) It's a pretty adjustable booster, so the price tag reflects that, and the LATCH capability.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC