SKJP has a new name, new seats - Diono RXT

Pixels

It would likely expire before you're done with boosters altogether, but it's likely that the child would have already outgrown or be close to outgrowing it anyway. I highly doubt that it converts to a backless, as it would be too much to ask of a seat that also rear-faces. That's just too much strain on that joint. And 7 years old is fine for a backless booster.

ADS

misstj9

I also wanted to add it starts at 50# as a booster... that's a first for any seat as a lower limit for booster mode.

Wow, thats great...I think. I was hoping this seat would be a possibilty for dd2 but she won't hit 50lbs. until she's probably 8 :eek:

I'm torn on this one. DS1 is now in a booster and still not 50#. DS2 will be 50# in the next 6 months and won't be in a booster for a while cause he still fits harnessed in the Frontier. BUT I know DS1 is in like the 25% or lower for weight so i'm not surprised he wouldn't fit. For me personally that might make this a problem (no idea who DD will be like) but for the majority of the market, I think it could be a good thing... definetly better than 3yrs & 30#!!

I dont know if this has been mentioned yet but is anyone else worried about the weight of this thing if it cant be/isnt tethered and latched as a booster? I know there are seats in europe that are required to be tethered/latched in booster mode because they are so heavy and there is a supposed risk of the seat crushing the child into the seat belt etc.

:yeahthatsad: That would definitely worry me!

RanaAurora

Can someone post the picture from the site? The link is being wonky on this computer. Any idea on release day? I was about to buy a R XTSL for my 2 year old daughter (Advocate doesn't have enough legroom anymore), but maybe I want to hold out...

And 50 pounds? Yeah. My 7 year old is going into second grade and is 42 pounds.

Pixels

I want to know what is the minimum height limit for booster mode. If it's 44 inches or more, then I have a major problem with this seat as a booster.

oddduck

Wow, 50lbs for a booster is quite high. I'm figuring at the rate that my DD1 is growing she'd his 40lbs by 5.5-6 and we'd start booster training. I have no idea when she'd hit 50lbs. I personally was under 50lbs at 8...

bnsnyde

My 5-year-old is 46 pounds but I don't think we'll need a booster until he is 8 or 9. He is very tall, so we'll see.

So 50 lbs. for a booster would work for us. Does this seat use Superlatch as a convertible? I hope so b/c we can't do seatbelt FF in some seating positions.

I have so many questions! Ahhh!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'm thinking that Diono will be the brand that they market under internationally, and SK may still be a brand they use here in NA. Though they may be trying to distance themselves from their "image problems"...

T4K

ketchupqueen said:
I'm thinking that Diono will be the brand that they market under internationally, and SK may still be a brand they use here in NA. Though they may be trying to distance themselves from their "image problems"...

Or maybe SKJP will keep the Might Tite (sp?) and other carseat/stroller accessory type stuff under SKJP and use Diono as their branding for seats and other future endeavors.

tl01

I love the concept of a 50 lb weight minimum for the booster but I agree it is a little unrealistic for some kids. Maybe 40 and an age constraint would be a good idea. DS1 is 52 lbs at 5 years but he's basically outgrown the seat b/c he's just about even with the top slot of the seat. The head wings are just about perfect now. If they don't go higher on the new seat then he really wouldn't have had the ability to use it as a booster.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
It would likely expire before you're done with boosters altogether, but it's likely that the child would have already outgrown or be close to outgrowing it anyway. I highly doubt that it converts to a backless, as it would be too much to ask of a seat that also rear-faces. That's just too much strain on that joint. And 7 years old is fine for a backless booster.

Ya, and MOST families want to use that bucket, so with an 8 yr expiration, and a first year spent in a bucket more or less, really you are going to get a lot of kids to 7.5-8.5....

Kayleen

monica-m said:
Interesting. I am curious as to why the name change. Hopefully we will get more reports and possibly some pictures from the folks that when to KIM soon.

Is it because of all the bad press/word of mouth regarding their response to the super latch issues? Rename to something new to hide from the bad publicity?

yetanotherjen

CPST Instructor
I dont like that. My dd will likely outgrow it in height before she's 50 lbs. Now if it ff from 2 AND 30 lbs that'd be great!

I agree!!! My son is 5 and 37lbs and is 1" away from outgrowing the GN. There is NO way he could make it to 50lbs for a booster, I personally think that is overkill, 4yrs AND 40lbs is a great minimum IMO. And like you said I'd LOVE to see a 2 AND 30 min for forward facing, heck 2 AND 25lbs and I'd be jumping for joy!

babygirlsmom1005

Wow, the 50# weight limit will basically make the booster portion of this seat useless to us....Madeline is about to be 6 and is a whooping 38 lbs....she still within the weight limits for the RNXT, but outgrew it by height rear facing....I cannot even tell you when she'll hit 50#'s....

DaniannieB

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I don't think the top harness height will be significantly different.

They seemed to indicate these seats (the 3in1 versions of each seat) would replace the other seats, but I can't say for sure.

I sure hope they allow LATCH to secure in booster mode (not sure why they wouldn't since the Monterey is LATCHed); I think they just didn't want to say "yes" until they were sure.

It sounded like ALL their marketing would be under Diono, not under SKJP which would be under Diono.

Like PPs have noted... although this may be a good 3in1, it's probably not going to be the only seat a child ever needs.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC