Vent Misuse and stuff

B

bumblewasp

Just lately I seem to see it everywhere :( The other day I saw a guy with a kid who could not have been more than 3, maybe 3 and a half in the front seat of his car, with the seatbelt practically over his ear :( The worst part was there was clearly a HBB in the back of the car, just wasn't being used. A couple of days later, my daughter and I were doing a shop and had just loaded up in the pouring rain ( loving this summer weather!) and a woman with a small child came back to the car parked next to ours and allowed him to get in the front seat as he was whining to be allowed to, again there was a seat in the back of the car, but she drove off, in pouring rain, flustered with a whiny kid in the front passenger seat. My daughter (14) was outraged and actually got pretty upset thinking about all the "what ifs" of the situation.
Then the very worst was last weekend, we were on a camping trip and the people on the next pitch to us were leaving, they had 4 kids, the youngest was boostered, another 2 went in the back with the boostered kid, and then Dad climbed in to the drivers seat, Mum got in the passenger seat and their little girl who was about 7 or 8, got a pillow, put pillow in front of Mum ( who had her seatbelt on at this point), and climbed onto mums lap with the pillow behind her, laid her head on the dashboard and off they drove! My heart was in my mouth, I just felt sick:(
To top it off, was watching TV last night and a car commercial comes on with a yummy mummy type driving with 3 kids in the back seat, all wearing seatbelts, but clearly none of them were 135cm tall, so should all have been boostered. Given that it is now the law to use a seat under 135 cm here, both DH and I got angry at this, how irresponsible of a car manufacturer to show this practice! Am tempted to complain but actually got so cross that I didn't register which car it was! Will have to see if I can catch it again!
It's as if the law is nominal here, the police will stop cars with very young children in Mums arms etc, but over about 3, there doesn't seem to be much implementation of the law, really gets my goat.
Feels good to have a rant though, especially to people who aren't going to say " well, the government just make stuff up to make life difficult, we never had car seats and we were all ok!" :)
B x

ADS

turtlemama

I've gotten to the point of trying to tune it out unless it is absolutely terrible which is when I would say something. For instance my brother's ex posted pics of her 5 and 3 year old in nothing but the seatbelt for the 3 year old, shoulder belt behind him and 5 year old in not even a seatbelt. I said something and she got snippy but I made my point anyway and gave her the number for Safe Kids in her area and linked her to NHTSA's new recommendations.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC