12 month check-up

Brigala

CPST Instructor
My pediatrician was very happy to hear that I was going to continue RFing my daughter well past the legal minimums. She said she'd like to see the law changed to require rear-facing to age four! :love:

When I told her I had a seat that rear-faced to 45 lbs, she wanted to know what it was and where I got it. She'd never heard of a Radian. She wants me to fax her some information so she can hand it out to her clients, especially those who have unusually big/tall children.

Just had to brag on my pediatrician a little. I know a lot of people get lousy car seat advice from their peds. We don't always see eye to eye on the vaccination schedule, but at least we agree on car seats.

Too bad the official documents the clinic gives out for the after visit summary still recommends FF at 1 & 20. :thumbsdown:

ADS

Jan06twinmom

Sounds like a step in the right direction for the pediatrician. Hopefully they can get the documents updated soon too.

Melanie

farrbabies

My family doctor was the same for extended rear facing and harnessing and breastfeeding! She was very supportive! I love doctors like that!

agave

Wow, car seats barely came up at my kids last visits but we've had some good chats. She is supportive and curious about extended RF (and BF) but doesn't promote past the minimums. She didn't know there where seats with a 34" height requirement to FF.

SeattleRain

My ped (who is awesome and usually up to date with everything) literally has never said anything to me about a carseat, other than to make sure I had one before she discharged Daniel from the hospital. At his 1 year appointment, he wasn't quite 20lbs so I thought that's why she didn't say anything to me about turning him around, but I recently brought him in and she didn't say anything then either and he weighed about 21lbs (in a huge wet diaper and fully clothed). I wonder if her policy is to say nothing. I was actually a little disappointed.

Jessica61624

That's disappointing. Our pedi brings it up at every check. She even told me at my 4 yr olds check to keep her in a 5 pt harness as 4 and 40 are bare minimums! She's got kids the same age as my two though.

CrazyBoysMamma

I love that the word is finally starting to get out. I've had numerous lengthy discussions with our ped, heck, I've done a Safekids seatcheck at his office building! He used to pish posh my opinion, he even went as far as to tell me I didn't need to "torture" my kids by RF "forever", that they'd be fine, blah blah....until one day in the middle of his office in front of everyone, my almost 6 year old had a complete and total meltdown. Over carseats. He got weighed and discovered he had maxed out his Radian RF. He DEMANDED that I head straight home and order him a Swedish seat because he did.not.want. to FF.:ROTFLMAO: That was the one and only time I've ever been proud of one of my kids temper tantrums!:D The very next visit I get a pamphlet with current recommendations and a "talk" about how kids really should RF for as long as possible....:rolleyes: So, I can talk until I'm blue in the face, give references, yada yada, and my kindergartner succeeded where I failed miserably. Oh well, at least the info is getting out now. I:love:that kid...he wants to be a CPST and a pediatrician when he grows up!:cool:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC