Probably only want a Recaro

U

Unregistered

Friend wants to get seats for foster/adopted children (no newborns) and probably only wants to consider Recaro. I agree that she wants something that passes side-impact testing from Europe, and Recaro passes the ADAC.

Any other seats compare?
Not interested in seats that don't pass the side-impact tests, so that throws out most seats on the US market, as there are no standards. Crazy there are none, but that's how it is.

We played with seats in the store and agree that Recaro seem great, with lots of side impact protection. Yes, she'll RF to age 2 or more and legroom is not a concern.

For older kids, the Prosport will keep kids harnessed a long time. (Don't want to just assume that the Frontier85 has decent side-impact protection, so that is out).

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I hope your friend enjoys her Recaros! Like you said, there are no standards. So there are no answers for her questions. We just don't know. If she'll only go by European testing, then she can only use seats that were tested in Europe. So whatever she gets would have to have the same copy here, then she has to assume that they didn't test them to US standards, rather than European standards. It's law here that seats must be tested to US standards.

So good luck! Sounds like she's limited herself into a box. But she should be happy with her purchases. The ProRide, ProSport, and ProBooster will work for a wide range of kids, provided she doesn't have newborns.

Wendy

flyever

True Fit Premier: it says "Deep side wings, side-impact tested to international standards" in their website. I asked them what international standards they followed. They never answered my question.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
True Fit Premier: it says "Deep side wings, side-impact tested to international standards" in their website. I asked them what international standards they followed. They never answered my question.

They could also make up whatever they wanted. In this country, right now, there are no standards. And since international standards are not upheld, they're irrelevant.

Now, do I think that matters (keeping in mind I own and use a True Fit Premier daily)? No. Any rear facing seat will have a lot of side impact protection. Any of them.

Here are the Euro NCAP tests for side curtain airbags. Start watching around the 1:12 mark. They have a rear facing seat back there (I don't know what it is, but it doesn't look like the ProRide). You can see how relatively minor that collision (on the carseat's side) is for the baby compared to the others in the car.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C10hE5wrMVM"]Crash Test 2010 - 20** Suzuki Swift (Full Test) EuroNcap - YouTube[/ame]

Wendy

henrietta

Friend wants to get seats for foster/adopted children (no newborns) and probably only wants to consider Recaro. I agree that she wants something that passes side-impact testing from Europe, and Recaro passes the ADAC.

Any other seats compare?
Not interested in seats that don't pass the side-impact tests, so that throws out most seats on the US market, as there are no standards. Crazy there are none, but that's how it is.

We played with seats in the store and agree that Recaro seem great, with lots of side impact protection. Yes, she'll RF to age 2 or more and legroom is not a concern.

For older kids, the Prosport will keep kids harnessed a long time. (Don't want to just assume that the Frontier85 has decent side-impact protection, so that is out).

Okay, I'm sorry, but I don't get it. She's obviously already decided w/the info she has (or thinks she has). Lots of companies advertise SIP. You can read all about what they offer on their websites. Many of them may not have been tested by those "international standards", but if you study what they're offering, you'll find that they are doing very similar things w/SIP.

Besides that, just by the nature of the seat being rearfacing, it offers tremendous side impact protection. I can understand choosing the ProSport over some other combo seats...but as far as rearfacing is concerned, I'd choose a True Fit, Radian, or Britax over the Proride.

Also, she says "leg room isn't a concern"...well, wait till she has a long legged and very opinionated 2 yr old. It might be a concern for the kiddo--just depends on the kid! The Recaro that may friend has really has NO leg room for rearfacing--my kids would have HATED it and they have shorter legs. It also has zero padding under their tush.

I totally agree that the US should require side impact testing and develop standards for it here, but I don't understand why companies in the US should be expected to test to other countries' standards. I don't think we can expect them to, even if it's a good idea. Many companies are trying to meet US consumers desire for more SIP--Britax, Evenflo, even Dorel (Cosco/Safety First/Eddie Bauer). All have some form of additional SIP that isn't required here.

I think it's a lot of money for your friend to spend on seats that may not work as well for her situation as seats from other companies. There are other seats that will be more comfortable for a wider range of rearfacing kiddos and can be adjusted easily b/t kids. My friend's almost 3 yr old looks like a stuffed sausage in his Recaro convertible, b/c it's very narrow and he's a broad kid.

GL!

henrietta

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC