Need advice on which seat to buy

A

AmyLM

I need some advice on buying a new car seat. DS (9mo, 17 lbs) is 29" and needs to move out of Snugride. DD (3y, 32 lbs, 37") is FF in Marathon. The options I've considered are to get a roundabout for DS and leave DD in Marathon or get a Frontier 85 SICT for DD and move DS to Marathon. The thought with a roundabout vs a 2nd marathon is that when we travel, I DESPISE hauling the marathon through the airport. I was hoping that when DS grew out of roundabout, we could move him to marathon and DD would be ready for a booster. I like the idea of the Frontier 85 being the last seat we'll need for DD but is it the safest option for her? Are there other seats that use a 5 point and then change to a booster that are less expensive? I would love to have an extensive car seat collection but DH does not agree :) Please advise on some good options keeping in mind safety (of course), price, and minimizing car seat purchases in the long run. Thanks!

ADS

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
Unless the Marathon is close to exipiration or something, I'd go with a combination seat for your oldest and pass the Marathon down to the baby.

Besides the Frontier, other good options are the Graco Nautilus ($140) and the Evenflo Maestro ($85). The Frontier has 20" top slots and an 85# harnessed weight limit, the Nautilus has 18" top slots and a 65# harnessed weight limit, and the Maestro has 18" top slots and a 50# harnessed weight limit.

The Nautilus is as much (least? lol) fun to carry in the airport as the Marathon, guaranteed, but for about the same cost as a Frontier, you could buy a Nautilus for home and a Maestro for travel/spare. The only thing I dislike about the Nautilus is that it doesn't have good head support for sleeping, and kids heads slump forwards - not a safety issue, but a comfort one if you do road trips or your kiddo is a car sleeper.

CrazyBoysMamma

I agree, if the Marathon isn't close to expiring I'd get a combo seat for the oldest. I really like my Frontier 85, don't think I'd go with the SICT version though. I also really like the Recaro ProSPORT.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC