Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Graco Nautilus Seat Belt Install

My husband and I are trying to do a seat belt install of my 5.5 year old's Graco Nautilus. It is necessary to do this because he is 48 lbs and that is the limit for the latch. We have a 2009 Toyota Sienna with locking seat belts. We are not able to get a tight install. There isn't much movement side to side but we can pull the seat forward a few inches. Any ideas?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Have you adjusted the recline foot to the most reclined position? In my van, I find it is extremely difficult to install if I forget to do this. Also, how do your seatbelts lock?
    Natalie, CRST-I, mum of Greg (15), Megan (10), Benjamin and Samuel (6).

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Graco Nautilus Seat Belt Install

What if you pull the cover away, push back with your upper thighs, and then tighten everything down that way?

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 61", 99#, seatbelt
    laine 9/16/09, 46", 54#, Diono Monterey, Chicco KidFit Zip Air
    in a 2015 BMW M235i, and my 2011 Mercedes E350 wagon

Have you tethered the seat?

CPS Technician

I find that I can get a much tighter install if I recline the vehicle seat back all the way, install as tightly as possible, then un-recline the vehicle's seat back. I have to do this in my 2008 Sienna when I install the Nautilus anywhere in the third row.
    Proud mama to:
    DS1 - 9 yrs, Harmony LiteRider
    DS2 - 6 yrs, Harmony LiteRider or Frontier
    DD1 - 4 yrs, FF MyRide or Radian
    DD2 - 2 yrs, FF in TrueFit

Quote Originally Posted by Kac View Post
    Have you tethered the seat?
    Just curious, if she's testing for front to back movement at the belt path, how is tethering coming in to play? It seems that would only stop movement at the head of the seat.
    Anna

Senior Community Member rxmommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by honeydew View Post
    Just curious, if she's testing for front to back movement at the belt path, how is tethering coming in to play? It seems that would only stop movement at the head of the seat.
    I was just coming here to post the same question - can't get it tight in a '06 Odyssey captain's chair. My seat is tethered properly but it doesn't stop the movement at the belt path.

I'm giving the Nauti to a coworker, so my question is sort of moot at the moment I guess. I'm going to put the Boulevard back in for now because that's a 30 second easy install. But she does not have long left and we both prefer the Nauti (cupholders! LOL!).
    Annie, mommy to...
    Olivia 8/04, Evelyn 3/06, angel #3 10/08,
    Sophia 1/10 and
    Isaac 6/11/12

Senior Community Member Jennifer mom to my 7's Avatar

The belts lock at the retractor. It takes a bit of play, but you can get a tight install in the sienna. Between pushing down and tightening, and then pushing back and tightening a few times, I can install the nautilus well in my 05 8 passenger. Even in the third row passenger side, without reclining the vehicle seat and putting it back in place.

Sort of like how Heather installs the regent with the short belt path seat belt in her videos.

http://carseatsite.com/videos.htm#regent videos
    Whatever Wendy said

"No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you, after all, you're the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." -Unknown