More preschool field trip (van) questions

Lemonade

DS's class is going about 10 minutes away tomorrow for a short field trip. On a van with (probably) lap belts. Which is somewhat irrelevant because even if it has shoulder belts, they wouldn't fit him properly, KWIM? (43" and 36#)

I talked to the director who was VERY receptive but said DPW requires them to use the belts. Even on the regular school bus, which they use during the year, and only has lap belts. My understanding is that school buses are better without lap belts, but I know there was something about school buses only being safe for kids over 5 and 50(?) pounds?

Should I just drive him? It's slow roads but one small piece would be a 35-40 mph road for less than a mile. I did let him ride on this van earlier in the year when I thought it would be a school bus and he also rode on the school bus once when I didn't think they'd need to wear belts. Both very short trips.

I told director I was working on certification and she was interested. (When I can take the class I will.) She has said they've had lots of issues with kids being in boosters too early or not at all and it bothers her. I told her I could get her some current info to hand out and she welcomed that. I'll put together a basic sheet. Very basic.

Thx

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Ideally, if he goes on the bus, he should use a harness (ideally something designed for buses, like the EZ-On Y harness for buses) and yeah, I'd not be allowing him on that van myself.

CrunchyMaineMama

Senior Community Member
Did you ask about installing a seat for him in the van? That is what I did for DD when she had field trips this past year. Of course, they actually use 5-pt harnesses for the kids that fit and HBB for the rest in the van which is better than most preschools it seems. They even knew to put the 5pts in the lap belt only positions to save the shoulder belts for the boosters. I still preferred to install our own seat though and they had no problem with that.

bnsnyde

Here (in preschool) the kids will use a mini-bus for any transportation, or a full-sized school-bus. That goes for the after-school or school transportation. My 3-year-old gets a harness. I don't know that the 5-year-old gets a restraint.

I don't allow them in regular vans. It it were me I'd just drive him in my own car or mini-van with his own carseat. :)

I was very vocal about asking exactly how transportation works with all our programs. And the agencies are very receptive. It seems mini-bus is the vehicle of choice here, so that's good.

Lemonade

If it's a lap/shoulder I could send the RSTV, right? I do have a PWY SGL that we don't use yet that would also be fine but not as easy as the RSTV. I've let him ride in it for very short rides and he was fine. (he's 36# naked so close to 40# with clothing I imagine. Close enough for my comfort given his age.)

If he wore the RSTV with a lap belt only would it be better than just the lap belt only? I'm not planning to do this, but I know it's got the material that seems like it would at least provide better cushioning/force dispursement vs the actual belt.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
RSTV with lap only and no tether is no better than lap only.

If there's an open lap-only belt behind him you could tether to that, though. But you'd have to be there on both ends to get him in, probably, I'd not trust someone else to do that...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC