You wont believe what I saw!

mommy2env

The other day, I went shopping Downtown. I was in a store where they sold strollers, walkers, and all kinds of toys. Keep in mind that in downtown L.A there is mostly wholesale. ( I was looking for goodies for grab bags, for dd b-day) I was just looking around as I always do. So I see this carseat, it was small, and only had a lapbelt. You know like the ones that umbrella strollers have. Anyways, I noticed that there was a lady looking at it, and the guy who worked there was helping her. I couldnt believe my eyes:eek: I didnt know how to jump in and say something. I dont want to get into a fight over telling someone what is safe. So I asked the guy " thats a toy seat, right?". he said "no, its real" I responded with " you have to be kidding me, It must be a toy". My mom was with me, so in a loud voice I said. "there is no way anyone should put a baby in that seat, they would be killed." The people who were looking at the seat just walked away. I know I should have addressed the issue with the store owner, but ( NO OFFENSE INTENDED) they were asian, and they didnt speak english well enough to understand me. I feel I could have done more, :(

ADS

TXDani

Senior Community Member
Was it second hand? I know they used to have infant carriers that look like infant carseats but they were just carriers and not meant to be used in vehicles. Maybe it was one of those and the store worker/owner didn't know it.

babychild taxi

I had a similar experience yesterday-I was walking around in a thrift store just see what they had. I shocked to see the number of used infant car seats there and they were ALL expired and in very bad shape. I could tell just by looking at them. I spoke to the store manager, explained the "rules" of carseats and if sold, it would put a baby's safety/life at great risk. She said she would have them all removed. Now, I guess I'll have to go back and see if they folllowed through...

The good thing is she want the info from here (car-safety.org)

K.

mommy2env

It was new, probably made in china. they guy had it in his hands or else I would have checked the brand and dom. I am tempted to go back and try and snap a picture:whistle: If I do go back what do you think I should tell the store owner, is there any way I can make her take it off the shelf? You know by telling her she will be liable for any harm done. I might even buy it just so nobody will actually use it.;)

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Yeah, money (being sued) usually will take care of it. Explain their liability.

Loves2sing

After you find out all the info about the seat, I would check to see if it is even legal in the States. With that kind of harness I can't see how it would pass saftey standards at all, and then after educating the Store Owner, if he is unreceptive, I would call in the authorities. I just can't imagine a death trap like that passing. It sounds way worse than an OHS!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC