Reason with me please

mamakc

I'm thinking about the 1 big rule of car-seatdom. The best car seat is the one that fits your child, fits your car, and will be used correctly every time.

I have nothing against extended harnessing. I recommend it daily to friends. Most kids aren't ready to booster until age 6 and I see that displayed in other people's kids all the time. But I am considering boostering my DD full time in my car sooner, rather than later. She is 4 years 7mos. It sounds crazy even to say it, but I think it might be what works best in my car, with this child. I am constantly having to rearrange seats. We babysit, we carpool, we have friends of different ages go with us places, etc. DD is mature way beyond her years and actually is excellent at staying in position. When I look at MY situation and consider everything I've learned over the last few years, I think it's reasonable to consider it with a 4.5 year old child, over 40lbs, who is mature for her age. Also knowing myself and how I'm fairly scatterbrained and have been known to forget to attach a top tether (out of sight, out of mind..) Or I'll be in a hurry and after a particularly challenging installation I'll realize I forgot to change the harness height between kids on the radian. I might choose to leave it for this one trip. With frequent re-installation I risk misuse. I would keep her harnessed in DH's car because we never have to move those seats.

But at the same time, I would NEVER advise someone else to consider full-time boostering at her age. I'm torn. Thoughts?

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I figure if they are over 4, and are mature enough, then they can go in a booster. I personally don't. I keep them harnessed a good looooong time.

lovemybabies924

If your child can stay in position while asleep as well then I think it is ok if it's what works best for you, but if there is any doubt...

Sent from my iPod touch, sorry for any auto-correct typos!

cookie123

I like them harnessed. THen there's no worry they're out of position. Also, booster crash test videos scare me.

SAHDADDY

I figure if they are over 4, and are mature enough, then they can go in a booster. I personally don't. I keep them harnessed a good looooong time.

If your child can stay in position while asleep as well then I think it is ok if it's what works best for you, but if there is any doubt...

Sent from my iPod touch, sorry for any auto-correct typos!

i agree with this, big test would be if shes asleep, if thats the case then go for it as long as you feel she is safe that way

mamakc

she does, actually, which surprised me! Although she rarely sleeps in the car. Don't get me wrong, I like my kids harnessed, too, but I don't like installing seats every day.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I might consider doing it as a trial run, IF you are going to keep a harnessed seat around/in storage until it's been successful for a good six months. That way you have a backup available if you're having issues with her being boostered, or if she's less able to do it once the novelty wears off.

My 4y6m nanny charge will be full-time boostered by the end of the month. He sits well, and he has a significantly better chance of being properly restrained than he has been in a harness. It's not often that I would recommend it, but there a circumstances.

That said, if it were my kid, I would probably use the booster on occasion but the harness as a general rule, making a commitment to make sure I installed correctly, every time. This might mean making different transportation choices, or getting seats that are less prone to error (like something with an infinite harness.) If you really feel that it's unrealistic for you to do that, then you need to do what you need to do to keep your child safe, and if you genuinely feel like that's boostering her, then you need to do it.

Phineasmama

I would do it...my DD is 4 1/2 and I know for a fact she could ride in a booster correctly. I would still probably use a harnessed seat for long trips though.

BUT we have 3 across in a small SUV so it's easier just to keep her harnessed.

Have you considered getting a HBB and keeping it in the trunk/back of your vehicle so you don't have to uninstall her primary seat all the time?

ElfJewel

If you think it will work better then you should try it. I would harness for long trips though. Or get a booster for rides in other cars and leave the harnessed seat in your car, so you don't have to move it.

mamakc

Thanks for the thoughts. I feel a better about it and think it's the best choice. I think what I'll do is use the Maestro as a booster. It fits her good and that way there will always be the option to covert it back to harness mode if necessary.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
My 4.5 yo is more booster ready than my 6 yo. She rides in our original Parkway in grandma's car.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC