When talking rfing with another parent....

Ladyl

what is your recommended minimum? I know the official minimum is two years (or really to the limits of the seat) and parents have various limits for their own children. Do your recommendations vary when talking to parents? Do you stick with two years or your minimum for your children?

Last edited:
ADS

MorgieBear'sMama

It depends on the person for me. Some people will just think you're an absoulte nut when you mention rf'ing to 4 or 5.

I always start at 2 being the bare minimum.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I tell them that 4 is our family minimum, and that that's supported by evidence, but then I REALLY STRESS 2 and 30 lbs. is the bare minimum recommendation, since that seems more "achievable" to many.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I usually mention both. The short-version spiel goes something like, "You know, most people are familiar with the recommendation to turn kids around at a year, but that's actually a bit outdated. Current recommendation is to rearface for at least two years, or better yet until they max out their seat. Now, based on everything I've seen/heard/read, I feel so strongly about the benefits of rearfacing that my kids sit backwards until they're much older... usually four or so." They usually have a response at this point, even if it's "Wow!" in a tone that says, "you're crazy!", lol. Then I continue with "I think a lot of people think that recommendation is nuts, I know I was like "ummm.. no thanks," when I first heard it but here's why we suggest it -- blah blah blah, 1/2" vs 2", blah blah, internal decapitation, blah blah." Response: look of horror and seat goes in RF.

I think, as pp have mentioned, that if you throw 4-6 out there as an initial goal people will write you off immediately. I find that I have a lot of success by conceding the point that it's very different, and sounds slightly nuts, which gets parents to listen long enough to get to the WHY of the rec. It's been highly effective for me, though it may not work for everyone.

bnsnyde

I personally like 4 as a minimum but my oldest son would not have even made that RF in his radian. My other boys might not, either.

But my girl can go to 4 or 5 in the Radian. She is 3.5 now and has room to grow.

I see a lot of FF at the old minimum of a year, or RF to the absolute max. Not much in the middle...

I post a lot on Facebook of my RF kids, and now my baby cousin has a new Radian, and I have a feeling he'll RF to the max!

Pixels

At private checks I mention the absolute legal minimum (1 and 20), the AAP says 2 or limits of seat, NHTSA says 4. Those who have sought me out for a private check are usually quite receptive. At public check events, I start with mentioning absolute minimum 1&20, better is 2/limits of seat, and gauge the reaction. If age 2 seems like a leap for them, I stop there. Sometimes I mention age 4 and if their eyes go big I say "aim for two, two is an excellent goal." I hope that mentioning four will help them actually make it to two, since two is "close enough" :rolleyes: to the loftier goal of four.

LuvMyCharlie

I never give a number, instead use the 'to the maximum of the seat.' If I know what kind of seat they have, or are interested in buying, I can normally give a guesstimate of when that would be.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
What I say at checks is that kids "should remain rear facing for at least two years, ideally three to four. Then when they get turned forward at three or four years old they should use a harness and top tether until at least five to six years old." That way I say it twice, that they should aim to three to four. I also have a handout that says at least two, preferably longer. And then I usually have (I'm out now) the NHTSA's page, and I go over that quickly as well showing that they recommend rear facing to four years old.

Wendy

hrice

I say minimum of 2 but preferably 3 or longer. I stress AT LEAST 2 years old. Then I tell them after that they should remain in a FF properly fitting harnessed seat until they are mature enough for a booster which is around 5-6 years of age.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC