Is the Radian still pretty much the only option?

fyrfightermomma

It's been a while since I've had a larger RFing child. S has been FFing for over a year now.

Joey is currently in a RA50 in both cars. He has about 1 to 1 1/2 inches left to grow before he outgrows it. He still has room weight wise. His weight has really slowed down. He hasn't gained since 5 months old LOL.

So since he's pretty tall, I need to get him a decently tall seat but don't need a huge weight limit. The girls had Radian XT's when they outgrew their Marathons but i know there have been several issues with Radians since my girls used them last (2 years for E and 1 for S). So I'm not sure how comfortable I am with those seats now.

Are there any new options out? I do not want a Comfort Air (due to the recline issue and 40" height rule which I'm choosing to follow) or a TF (just didn't work out when my girls had them). I also hated the MR :eek: I don't want anything with a continuous harness. I also prefer a seat that is low profile. I don't like seats with bases for older kids over age 2ish. Too hard to load

So yeah I'm picky. :whistle: I hate RFing seats with a passion. The Marathon/RA clone are really the only seats I've ever liked. The Radians were okay. They did the job.

So is a Radian pretty much it for a tall kiddo or are there new seats I'm missing? If I don't use LATCH with the Radians there really isn't any other issues with them right?

Oh and he's 18 months, 36" and 27 pounds. He wears a size 3 shirt. He's all torso and he has no legs. I've dreaded this day since he was born....both him and S outgrew their Marathons uber early and I hated RFing after that! Hopefully I can get through winter at least but I want to plan ahead in case that does happen sooner

ADS

zactayaus

I'm wondering the same thing and feel the same way as you about the seat choices that are out there. I think the RN's are our only choice right now though. Gavin has about 2" of room to grow in his MA's. I have switched him to an RN already in dh's truck (which I'm just not feeling the complete love for at this time and am debating putting his MA back in there). I already have an RN for my truck as well but I love my MA's so much I'm having a horrible time making the switch.:eek:

Kat_Momof3

well, the true fit would be the tallest and probably the one I'd recommend, but you said you don't like it... so yeah, after youruled out the complete air, I'd say the Radian is probably it.

monica-m

CPST Instructor
The seats that RF and have the tallest harness slots are the CA, the TF and the Radian. It sounds like the Radian is your only option that does not involve importing.

Phineasmama

I also wish they had more "low profile" seats. Especially since the Radian won't install RFing in my vehicle.

Brycen'sMommy

I'm in the same boat. Our kiddos are close in age and size. My DD rides in a Roundabout 55 right now, which I love, except for the lack of leg room. It is getting too hard to cram her into her seat.

I won't do Dorel. I can't reach the harness adjuster on the True Fit, the straps are too wide for her narrow shoulders and I don't like the continuous harness. The MyRide is too high on a base. The Radian won't install upright enough in our van and doesn't leave enough leg room for the driver or passenger seats plus I loathe the harness adjuster. I wish there were other options.

I have always hated RF once my kids got bigger and the lack of good options for tall RF kids has played a role in me turning my kiddos a little sooner than I should have.:eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC