$1,000 carseat?

bnsnyde

This is more a market question. I'm just pondering this and found it interesting, after reading the book Parenting, Inc. I just want to initiate discussion. Feels like grad school a bit.

I never saw a very expensive stroller until the $800 ones hit the market. Suddenly all others were "cheapened." A $400 stroller? Why, that's half as good as the $800 one. See the psychology there? Smart marketing. And now strollers can cost even more now. Sure the expensive ones are better than the $50 ones, but there is nothing to warrant $800 at all besides playing with the consumer's mind. Even people w/o a lot of money scrimped and saved to get the $800 stroller. They wanted it THAT bad.

So, I wonder why carseat manufactures don't jump at the chance to raise the price a LOT (like a $1,000 carseat). The market would change. This is purely from an advertising/marketing point of view. Of course, we as consumers don't want to pay more for carseats. But if in the world of strollers they can get away with it (and honestly, a stroller is just a stroller and all it does is moves the kid), a carseat can be the line between life and death. That's huge! Psychologically the masses would WANT to pay $1,000 for a carseat. Not that everyone could or would even want to, but the aspiration would be there at some level.

Again, this is theoretical. I majored in advertising and I am simply curious. :)

ADS
I feel like strollers are a status symbol-- people see you walking out and about with them, they have many bells and whistles to make your life easier. Carseats just sit in your car, dirty and gross, nobody else really sees them.
I feel like, unless a celebrity or someone started buying the 1K carseat and started talking about how plush and comfy and easy it was to use, people would just throw their kids in $40 boosters and save their $$ for the 1K stroller.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
Sure the expensive ones are better than the $50 ones, but there is nothing to warrant $800 at all besides playing with the consumer's mind.

Have you ever had a $1000 stroller? If so, you might sing a different tune.

T4K

You have an interesting point. I will add that for some people, strollers are their way of life, their baby's transportation. They may live in urban areas and don't own vehicles, where wearing your baby or $50 strollers just don't cut it.

emandbri

I don't know about people buying expensive strollers only as a status symbol, but by that logic there shouldn't be a market for expensive high chairs because they only people who see them come to your house.

I admit I thought the idea of an expensive stroller was crazy until I pushed my friends MBUS! ;) I've never pushed an $800 stroller with a kid in it. I played with a bugaboo at the store but had no kid to put in it so I can't say if it is worth the money or not.

I admit I was disappointed in my baby jogger but I was using it with 2 almost 5 year olds very close to the weight limit and I'm still not convinced there isn't something wrong with it.

I can't imagine paying $1000 for a car seat but more money doesn't always mean better quality. I have two graco nautilus that I'm very happy with and could have paid more for the britax frontier.

Last edited:
I think expensive strollers are absolutely a status symbol in the same way an expensive purse or expensive pair of shoes is.
The expensive purses aren't that much better, but people buy them because of the brand name, the status that comes with it.
I see it all the time with my facebook friends. There is a ton of social pressure to buy the very expensive strollers. If I go on facebook, and ask my friends to recommend a stroller, maybe 1 person would come on and tell me that the expensive stroller wasn't worth the $$. Everyone else will rave about their ultra expensive strollers. Nobody wants to admit that they spent a crapton of money on a stroller that ended up being just a little better than the other strollers that were half or a third of the price.
I've pushed both kinds of strollers, and while I liked the expensive stroller better, thought it was better made and everything, I didn't think it was worth more than triple the price of the stroller I ended up buying.

cookie123

While I'd WANT the $800 stroller, my practical side is just too cheap. I'd buy the knockoff for much less, used. On the other side of that is that the cheaper baby stuff is adorned with cutesy animals and such and I prefer more classic looking stuff that.

Also, it does seem like we're slowly working up to the $1000 car seat. More gadgets on them at increasingly higher prices seems to be the wave of the future.

Phineasmama

Well I only paid $400 for my BJCS double and I think it's pretty darn awesome and just as good as if I had paid double that amount for it!

I doubt car seats will go up *that* much, at least there will always be cheaper ones. You HAVE to have a car seat, nobody HAS to have a stroller.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Many people in my area would buy a $1,000 car seat. Because the more expensive it is, the safer it is, dontcha know?

That's why I see more Peg infant seats than SnugRide 22s. The Pegs are the most expensive, and therefore the best.

It's also why Britax is better than the other brands.

So yes, I think there would be a market for a $1,000 car seat, but it would be a small market. Most people can't afford that, and manufacturers know it. In the time it takes a company to sell a $1,000 seat, another company has sold 25 $40 seats.

Jessica61624

Britax has some very expensive seats. Many people think they're safer because they're more expensive. They're one of the most popular seats also.

I dont get the stroller thing. I'm happy with my $25 first years stroller. I'd never pay more than $100 for a stroller.

macmomma

Well- if I had my kids back home (Germany) I would have bought a nice expensive, great quality stroller because you walk everywhere.... you use it a lot!!! But here where we live we use it sometimes at the flea market, the zoo and such... not worth it to me. I rather buy a nice car seat with all the whistles and bells... I use that several times a day:D

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
The vast majority of kids can be restrained according to best practice from birth to seatbelt age for $200 total (Scenera40RF => Nautilus harnessed, HBB, NBB). It may be interesting from a marketing POV, but as a carseat educator/activist, I would be against the perception that more $$ buys more safety.

AtTheSouthDam

Well- if I had my kids back home (Germany) I would have bought a nice expensive, great quality stroller because you walk everywhere.... you use it a lot!!! But here where we live we use it sometimes at the flea market, the zoo and such... not worth it to me. I rather buy a nice car seat with all the whistles and bells... I use that several times a day:D

Yep!

Ok, so I don;t think there were $1000 strollers when we had DD1 back in 2003. In fact our Bertini was near top of the line then. And we walked EVERYWHERE so it was totally worth it! (but, honestly, there was no way we could afford it, it was a gift. I have to wonder what people thought of a $500 stroller in the back of an S10 blazer that was worth the same :p)
So yeah, there is a reason those strollers cost so much and they are worth it, even without cup holders.
Carseats... eh, the manufactures have figured which market will pay they much so they slap the words "special needs" on it and a few zeros to the price. Most parents will not spend that much on a seat.

Phineasmama

I have to wonder what people thought of a $500 stroller in the back of an S10 blazer that was worth the same )

That you'd rather be walking? :p:cool:

As for the high chair things, we have two of those Stokke Tripp Trapp whatever the heck you call them. Did I pay retail? NO WAY! I found them for $50 each at the bi-annual kids consignment sale. They were brand new or looked it...and I have to say they were definitely worth the $100 I paid! My kids are 4 and 2 and I can see my 4yo DD using hers for several more years. I might get the baby accessories to make it an actual high chair and sell my Fisher Price high chair this year.

bnsnyde

Kept upgrading joggers, and with those I find an increase in price can bring some benefits but there is a ceiling. The perfect jogger does not exist! It's like the best features of many of them need to come together in one.

The really expensive strollers I've owned have been too heavy. So, lol I could not use them!!!!
I end up taking the Volo everywhere. It's so easy!

SeattleRain

I have an UppaBaby Vista with the carseat adapter, which all in all, cost me close to $800. I like the stroller. I don't love it. I also have a BJCM which is what I should have gotten in the first place, for 1/3 of the price.

There will be at $1000 carseat when car seats and car safety become as much as a status symbol as strollers are. Which is to say, probably never. Maybe I don't live in the right neighborhood, but most of my friends are buying their carseats from Target. So unless the $1000 carseat was at Target, I don't know anyone who would buy it.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I NEED a good all-terrain stroller, living where I do. But I'd never pay full-price, that's not how I roll. I paid $430 shipped for my MBUD with carrycot. It's been sooo worth it (we went to Honolulu last week and I so appreciated it!)

Some of the Swedish seats are quite high-priced, especially when you add in shipping... I do occasionally see that status-symbol mentality pertain to them. :whistle:

sixmaybemore

You have an interesting point. I will add that for some people, strollers are their way of life, their baby's transportation. They may live in urban areas and don't own vehicles, where wearing your baby or $50 strollers just don't cut it.

This is really true. When we lived outside of Philly and were going into the city once a week (on the train and walking a lot) the stroller needs changed, and yes, what fit the needs and what *worked cost more.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC