Harness slots *really* high

tjham

http://www.chop.edu/traumalink/pcps/popups/harness_arrow.html

I saw this picture several years ago and emailed them about it. They said the mother in the picture is a SafeKids instructor or something like that and the child was hers and she felt it was OK. (Personally, I think the kid should still be RF!)

So, fast forward to Saturday. I had my 2 yr old grandson (who is still RF in my car but FF, as of 22 months in parents' car). His dad came to pick him up with my grown son and didn't have a carseat. My son had his daughter's Radian in the back seat, empty. Rather than make the dad go home and get his car and come all the way back (another 30 min), or uninstall the Radian and change the straps (UGH!), I remembered the picture!

The seat was on the top slots for GD. I put the 2 yr old in the seat and he was just a bit below the second from the top slots, very similar to the picture. (I do think he is going to be long torsoed!) After getting him in good and tight, chest clip on properly, I sent them off, luckily mostly on country roads, knowing I wouldn't usually do it again in regular circumstances.

So...what do the techs think of the picture? Do you think that is a good example of proper use?

Last edited:
ADS

becca011906

Senior Community Member
I think that it was a pic that was mainly used b/c the top slos are the only ones that are reenforced in that seat and many older models that are still used, ect.

scatterbunny

I think that it was a pic that was mainly used b/c the top slos are the only ones that are reenforced in that seat and many older models that are still used, ect.

Yup yup. That seat required the top slots to be used when forward-facing.

My instructors told us to always read the manual to find out if the particular seat we are dealing with requires the top slots to be used when forward-facing, and to advise parents that straps are fine above the shoulders, even quite a bit above, but that they didn't feel comfortable with the straps up by the ears.

However, as far as I know, there is no data suggesting it is unsafe. A snugly-adjusted five point harness should provide excellent protection even with straps very high above the shoulders (forward-facing).

sirrahn

Not a tech (anymore at least....for various reasons I let my cert. expire), but several years ago that was pretty much the norm. Almost all convertible seats required top slots forward facing and with most seats having 22lb rear facing limits (as that Century seat had), kids were still pretty small when they were turned so that's how the straps had to fit.

Obviously with more seats having mulitiple reinforced slots and higher rear facing limits, you shouldn't see a harness fit like that very often anymore.

becca011906

Senior Community Member
Yep i have a centery seat similar to that with a few more months or so left before it expires and dd uses it in my grandmas car some times only the FF slots and only has the 22rfing limit the seat sucks, but it was before i knew of better options! :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC