Question Chaperone insert

Bansheefaerie

I got a cowmooflage Britax Chaperone. My question is when is the low birth weight insert supposed to be used? For what weight and height? My son isn't due until Thanksgiving weekend.
I got it from NBD as on open box MOD date Jan 2011 for $107 shipped. It has all the tags on it still. I'm very excited because it fits in our Nissan Versa next to DD2's Radian XTSL and our almost 9 year old still has room.

ADS

NVMBR02

It can be used for babies 4-11 pounds. DD2 was about 5 1/2 pounds and 19 inches when we came home from the hospital and I did not have the low birth weight insert in since I was expecting a much larger baby. I did end up putting the foam in when we got home since the straps were above her shoulders. She used it for about 6 weeks and we took it out.

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
I'd have to double check my manual, but I believe the weight range for the low birth weight foam is 4-11lbs. It's not always necessary though. My son was 8lbs at birth and never needed the foam. I didn't like the way he fit with it.

cryswilkins

I don't mean to derail, but tell me more, about you 3 across in the Versa. We have one and all I can't see it with a chaperon in the mix. I am impressed.

Sent from my Droid using Car-Seat.Org - excuse my autocorrect.

Bansheefaerie

I have the Chaperone behind the drivers seat using latch. The Radian XTSL in the middle using the seat belt and my oldest will be 9 on the 14th. She passed the 5 step test and is no longer in a booster. I still have to take my car to have the seats checked to make sure they are in correctly, but I think they are fine. It took a few times to get the Chaperone installed with the bubble between the lines. The drivers seat had to be moved forward a couple clicks.

bnsnyde

My son was 9.6 lbs. and the insert wasn't a hit with us. I had to take it out right away. Had he been small I think it would have worked great.

NVMBR02

I think most full term babies wouldn't need it. DD2 was full term but still under 6 pounds and she has a small torso. When we took the insert out at around 6 weeks she was closer to a normal full term weight at 7-7 1/2 pounds and her shoulder were even with the lowest setting.

The harness goes pretty low and tightens well. Even at birth when she was below the slots I was able to get a tight fit with the harness.

Bansheefaerie

The radian is FF. We are going to buy a van and she will be turned RF again. Right now the Versa is our only car.

I tried putting the insert in. I can't imagine having a baby that small. I took it out, but I'll bring it to the hospital with us incase he us small.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC