Need to make a decision about this, would love input!

StPaulMom

I can always answer other people's questions, but when it comes to answering my own, I love getting other people's ideas and opinions!
We're going out of town for a week and renting a car. Driving time from airport to destination is approx 3 hours one way. We'll be in the car 5-7 times per day once we're there for an average of 15 minutes per trip. FWIW, we do carry on luggage only, no checked bags at all, and we will also be bringing a harnessed seat for my 3.5 year old (still not sure which one for him, either!!!)

My DD just turned 6 and is just barely 38 lbs (and about 46"). Should we bring the Ride Safer Travel Vest (RSTV), or a booster (either Turbo highback or Recaro ProBooster)? At home, she's still mostly in a harnessed seat but rides very well in a booster and it fits her very well.

Here's what I'm thinking:
-The RSTV will be a lot easier to bring with us on the plane, and DD can even just put it in her backpack.
-RSTV will take up less room in rental car.
-RSTV will need to be removed and put back on for every trip

-Booster wont be as easy to bring on the plane
-Booster will take up slightly more room in car, but not much
-Booster will be easier to use

So, what would you do?

ADS

StPaulMom

Use this as an excuse to buy a Compass Pathway?

Ha, I wish!! I already have WAY too many seats as it is :) I have to use one of the boosters we already have. But I'm sooo tempted to buy my DS a new seat just for the trip. Unfortunately, I'm limited to what I can buy locally in the next 2 days (we leave Wed the 10th). And, I think my choices are pretty much the Maestro and....the Maestro LOL! I really wish the new Euro Sport was out now! I'd totally buy that and then review it :)

monica-m

CPST Instructor
Between the two I would do RSTV.

ETA: If it's not too much of a pain with the many short car trips.

DahliaRW

I'd do the RSTV. With ours we leave it in the car (just undo half of the lap part, unbuckle and unvelcro the vest - leave the rest threaded). It's a lot easier that way.

The other option, if your 3.5yo fits, is to bring the RSTV for him and a booster for your dd.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
What seat are you bringing for the 3yo and which seats does the 6yo fit in?

My worry about the RSTV is my kids were not even remotely comfortable in it for long rides. I worry the EPS of a booster may get broken, or you may be forced to gate check it. She's not really big enough for a NBB to be an option, so I would want to have something I can install on the plane.

StPaulMom

What seat are you bringing for the 3yo and which seats does the 6yo fit in?

My worry about the RSTV is my kids were not even remotely comfortable in it for long rides. I worry the EPS of a booster may get broken, or you may be forced to gate check it. She's not really big enough for a NBB to be an option, so I would want to have something I can install on the plane.

She fits in the TF, Nauti, ProSport (along with the boosters and vest).

I have no idea what we're bringing for the 3yo lol! I"m actually thinking of buying a Maestro because he's SO close to being too tall for the Scenera, I dont want to bring the Nauti- I'm leaning towards hauling the TF with us, but it's a beast :( He's way too small for the RSTV himself, so that's not an option at all.

As for DD, if we bring a booster, DH and I can each bring a piece in a carry-on (we each only have one bag and the pieces will fit). DD hasn't ever been in the RSTV for more than an hour, but she tends to be comfortable in everything.

See why I'm so torn? LOL!! Every time I think I've made a decision, I come up with a different scenario on why something else might be better :)

StPaulMom

And the other issue is that we have to carry ALL of this stuff about 2 blocks from our house to the bus (we are taking an express bus to the airport) and back. The kids can carry their own backpacks but wont be a lot of help with anything else.

DahliaRW

If your ds doesn't fit in the RSTV, I would bring that for your dd. You can put it INSIDE a bag so it's not an extra piece to haul.

Also, your dd should be able to roll a wheeled small bag. I make my 6 yo haul a rolling duffle through the airport! And my 4yo usually lasts about halfway pulling his. And actually, when we flew last my 2yo actually rolled our barely small enough to be carryon rolling suitcase halfway across the airport in vegas on our layover. She was slow, but determined and wouldn't let anyone help. I felt like I was violating child labor laws!

StPaulMom

If your ds doesn't fit in the RSTV, I would bring that for your dd. You can put it INSIDE a bag so it's not an extra piece to haul.

Also, your dd should be able to roll a wheeled small bag. I make my 6 yo haul a rolling duffle through the airport! And my 4yo usually lasts about halfway pulling his. And actually, when we flew last my 2yo actually rolled our barely small enough to be carryon rolling suitcase halfway across the airport in vegas on our layover. She was slow, but determined and wouldn't let anyone help. I felt like I was violating child labor laws!

Yeah, we planned to just pack the RSTV in one of our bags. And we dont have rolling bags for the kids- they each just have a backpack and it fits everything they need for the week and can wear them comfortably. We're pretty light packers :)

Jan06twinmom

Yeah, we planned to just pack the RSTV in one of our bags. And we dont have rolling bags for the kids- they each just have a backpack and it fits everything they need for the week and can wear them comfortably. We're pretty light packers :)

How in the world do you get enough stuff for them to carry for a week in the backpack? I don't think I could get 2 days worth of clothes/pjs and toiletries in my kids backpacks. My kids put their toys in the backpack to entertain themselves for the trip.

Melanie

StPaulMom

How in the world do you get enough stuff for them to carry for a week in the backpack? I don't think I could get 2 days worth of clothes/pjs and toiletries in my kids backpacks. My kids put their toys in the backpack to entertain themselves for the trip.

Melanie
LOL! Yeah, it definitely surprises a lot of people! But we're serious about packing smart :) DH and I went to Europe for 2 weeks in early May (read: 45-60 degrees so heavy clothes) and still only brought one carry on bag plus one small backpack each- with room to spare! No baggage fees, no waiting for bags at the carousel and no lost luggage! We just hop off the plane and leave. It's one of the most liberating things to not have to carry so much that you CANT carry it :)

We dont pack seven completely separate outfits for 7 days. Maybe 2 pairs of shorts, 1 pair of pants and 5 shirts, 6 pair of underwear and a swim suit. Add in jammies, toothbrush/paste and a few small toys and their backpacks are full but not jam packed.

DahliaRW

LOL! Yeah, it definitely surprises a lot of people! But we're serious about packing smart :) DH and I went to Europe for 2 weeks in early May (read: 45-60 degrees so heavy clothes) and still only brought one carry on bag plus one small backpack each- with room to spare! No baggage fees, no waiting for bags at the carousel and no lost luggage! We just hop off the plane and leave. It's one of the most liberating things to not have to carry so much that you CANT carry it :)

We dont pack seven completely separate outfits for 7 days. Maybe 2 pairs of shorts, 1 pair of pants and 5 shirts, 6 pair of underwear and a swim suit. Add in jammies, toothbrush/paste and a few small toys and their backpacks are full but not jam packed.

You must not have night wetters!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC