Car Seat Laws?

luvmy2

Why don't they just change the 1 year/20 lbs RF law since it's so much safer for them to RF longer?
And why are all the states different? I think we should all take a tip from Maine and use their car seat laws!

ADS

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
What are the laws in Maine? I was just thinking last night that they should just go ahead and change the law to RF to 2 yrs or 30 lbs. I know it's not easy to change laws and the current laws are based on what they think parents will be willing to comply with, :blah blah blah: But, why don't they just change them and make parents follow the rules?

scatterbunny

Because the politicians that ultimately vote for or against the laws usually do not want to risk upsetting their constituents, so they "err on the side of caution" in their minds, not voting for stricter CPS laws because they don't want to appear to be telling folks how to raise their children. :( So people continue to believe that what the inadequate laws say is actually what is "safe" for their children.

vonfirmath

Because no matter what the laws say, it is still the parents' responsibility to raise their children, determine what the current state of safety is, etc. And the standards do keep changing, after all.

And because we live in a country where states' rights to set rules for their own citizens is still acknowledged. If you love Maine's rules, you can always move to Maine :)

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
Because the politicians that ultimately vote for or against the laws usually do not want to risk upsetting their constituents, so they "err on the side of caution" in their minds, not voting for stricter CPS laws because they don't want to appear to be telling folks how to raise their children. :( So people continue to believe that what the inadequate laws say is actually what is "safe" for their children.

Oh, I get it. That really sucks! :(

scatterbunny

Oh, I get it. That really sucks! :(

Yes, it really, really does. :( It's so hard to convince politicians that tougher CPS laws are needed.

I mean, really--the laws should be there to protect the vulnerable, the ones who cannot protect themselves: the children. Yes, parents have every right to raise their children as they see fit, within reason. If a parent is neglectful in other aspects of childrearing, they would be charged with neglect. If a parent neglects to keep their child safe in the car, it is called a parental decision.

Kids have the right to be protected to the fullest extent from the #1 killer of kids. If parents won't protect them willingly, laws need to be put in place so the kids are protected.

luvmy2

Yes, it really, really does. :( It's so hard to convince politicians that tougher CPS laws are needed.

I mean, really--the laws should be there to protect the vulnerable, the ones who cannot protect themselves: the children. Yes, parents have every right to raise their children as they see fit, within reason. If a parent is neglectful in other aspects of childrearing, they would be charged with neglect. If a parent neglects to keep their child safe in the car, it is called a parental decision.

Kids have the right to be protected to the fullest extent from the #1 killer of kids. If parents won't protect them willingly, laws need to be put in place so the kids are protected.

Exactly. I wonder why other countries can have such stricter laws than we do?

luvmy2

Because no matter what the laws say, it is still the parents' responsibility to raise their children, determine what the current state of safety is, etc. And the standards do keep changing, after all.

And because we live in a country where states' rights to set rules for their own citizens is still acknowledged. If you love Maine's rules, you can always move to Maine :)

I wonder if the military will move us to Maine if I ask? :p
I really have no clue if there are any bases there.

luvmy2

What are the laws in Maine? I was just thinking last night that they should just go ahead and change the law to RF to 2 yrs or 30 lbs. I know it's not easy to change laws and the current laws are based on what they think parents will be willing to comply with, :blah blah blah: But, why don't they just change them and make parents follow the rules?

I also think they should change it to 2 or 30 lbs. Maine law is that they have to be in a booster or car seat until 8 or 80 lbs.

Pawy

Does any one have any ideas how we can make them listen to us about changing seat laws..? I know ive written away a few times but it seems like i am talking to a wall...

Paul

Melizerd

Wisconsin's laws have gotten much much better. Now you can't take your child out to "attend to their needs"
* Children must be in a car seat until they reach age 4 and in a booster seat until they reach age 8
* Tiered structure now applies:
o Less than 1 year old, or less than 20 lbs. must be in a rear-facing child seat in the back seat (if so equipped)
o Age 1 to age 4, or less than 40 lbs. must be in a forward-facing child seat in the back seat (if so equipped)
o Age 4 to age 8, between 40-80 lbs., and no more than 4 ft. 9 ins. must be in a booster seat
* The fines remain the same, although tiered for ages 0-4 and ages 4-8
* The exemption allowing temporary removal of a child from a restraint to attend to personal needs has been removed
* The exemption for physical, medical, or body size condition still applies to booster seats and seat belts

Maine's laws are:

Maine state law requires babies and children weighing under 40 pounds to ride in a federally approved, properly secured car seat. Maine's new child passenger safety law further requires children under age eight and under 80 pounds to ride in a car seat or belt-positioning booster seat. Children under age 18 must wear seat belts if they are not in a car sat or booster seat, and children under age 12 and weighing less than 100 pounds must ride in a rear seat if possible.

Morganthe

I wonder if the military will move us to Maine if I ask? :p
I really have no clue if there are any bases there.

DH was stationed at Loring AFB in "occupied Canada" northern Maine as his first base in the late 1980s. It's between Caribou and Limestone towns/cities. The base is mostly closed down, but there is still active duty assigned because it's a Superfund site. The State of Maine has refused to take back the property due to toxicity levels. Might be considered controlled tour. Don't know for sure.

There's always AD Guard & Reserve 'stuff' (as dh puts it :rolleyes: ), maybe even Navy assignments at Portland, ME.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician

But the law governs everything there is to say about how to make a car... why not make it law to make the cars SAFE for children? (built in boosters and harnesses...right along with the laws about three point seatbelts for adults and even the position of the gas pedals and gear shift designations). They force us to purchase cars that don't suit our children, then won't support our children's safety by enacting laws about carseats that would keep them safe. They have already removed my freedom to buy a safe car for my children (seats and belts that fit them, airbags that won't hurt them), the onus is on them to make up for that mistake by enacting appropriate carseat laws.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
Wisconsin's laws have gotten much much better. Now you can't take your child out to "attend to their needs"
* Children must be in a car seat until they reach age 4 and in a booster seat until they reach age 8
* Tiered structure now applies:
o Less than 1 year old, or less than 20 lbs. must be in a rear-facing child seat in the back seat (if so equipped)
o Age 1 to age 4, or less than 40 lbs. must be in a forward-facing child seat in the back seat (if so equipped)
o Age 4 to age 8, between 40-80 lbs., and no more than 4 ft. 9 ins. must be in a booster seat
* The fines remain the same, although tiered for ages 0-4 and ages 4-8
* The exemption allowing temporary removal of a child from a restraint to attend to personal needs has been removed
* The exemption for physical, medical, or body size condition still applies to booster seats and seat belts

I'm in WI, too, and am very impressed with the new laws. They don't seem to be enforcing them in my neck 'o the woods, though. :(

luvmy2

DH was stationed at Loring AFB in "occupied Canada" northern Maine as his first base in the late 1980s. It's between Caribou and Limestone towns/cities. The base is mostly closed down, but there is still active duty assigned because it's a Superfund site. The State of Maine has refused to take back the property due to toxicity levels. Might be considered controlled tour. Don't know for sure.

There's always AD Guard & Reserve 'stuff' (as dh puts it :rolleyes: ), maybe even Navy assignments at Portland, ME.

Interesting! We will be moving end of summer/beginning of fall, but I have no clue where yet!

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
But the law governs everything there is to say about how to make a car... why not make it law to make the cars SAFE for children? (built in boosters and harnesses...right along with the laws about three point seatbelts for adults and even the position of the gas pedals and gear shift designations). They force us to purchase cars that don't suit our children, then won't support our children's safety by enacting laws about carseats that would keep them safe. They have already removed my freedom to buy a safe car for my children (seats and belts that fit them, airbags that won't hurt them), the onus is on them to make up for that mistake by enacting appropriate carseat laws.

:yeahthat: While I understand the concept of states' rights, it's ironic that federal regulations are in place or can be enacted for certain vehicle safety features, such as mandatory stability control in a few more years for new vehicles, or shoulder belts for all seating positions going in effect for '08 models. Yet we don't have consistent child restraint laws in place nationally. The laws of physics are no different here in Michigan than in states with more stringent booster laws enacted. There are extra strong inertial forces from the auto industry to contend with here to a degree, and elected officials who tread lightly to avoid ticking off the auto interests, tourism industry, and the individual rights proponents. :rolleyes: :soapbox:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC