HELP!!! 3 Across in Chevy express???

widgetwick

Right now we have 7 kids, ages 10, 7, 5, 4, 3, 2, 9 mths in our 12 pass Chevy Express van. The 10, 7, and 5 yo are all in the back row in Frontiers, harnessed. The 4 and 9 month old are middle row RFing in a Boulevard and Chicco keyfit. The 3 and 2 yo are RFing in a Advocate and Boulevard in the first row. So.....here is my problem. We are adding 2 more kiddos to the family, and would like to delay buying the 15 pass. Is it possible to have 3 kids per bench, RFing hopefully, maybe in Radians? For now my back row, that seats 4, only has 3 due to keeping my big kids in the HBB (due to lack of headrests). Is there a way to put aftermarket seats w/headrests in the Express? Any other seats that are super narrow that would fit 3 across?
Thanks so much!
Stephanie

ADS

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
Send a PM to Keeanh

She has the same van and I think the same # of kiddos. She can tell you everything there is to know and how to do it! :)

Keeanh

Hi :) Congrats on the big family & the van. Getting kiddos into bed & such, but I'll get back to you tomorrow.

Keeanh

Thanks Jourdysmom :)

Widgetwick, what year is your van? We only drive ours a few times a year. Normally I just use the Safari & DH drives his own car.

1. If you read your manual, it will tell you you're not supposed to put 3 car seats in one row. It's on one of the pages that shows tether anchor locations. No-one at Chevy has ever been able to explain this to me. The best I can figure is that it's because they think people will put 3 seats on 2 tethers. I have chosen to ignore it when necessary, but just wanted you to know it's in the manual.

2. Aftermarket headrests... I've been told "no" by Chevy and by several conversion places because of liability. BUT Chex knows someone who has a solution for the non-shoulder-belt benches. Unfortunately she has all shoulder-belt benches, but is working on another solution for that (welding on permanent headrests). I have the benches with a lap belt in the middle, so I'm currently working on finding someone who is willing to drill holes in the top bar & install headrest sleeves. I'll let you know if I get anywhere with it.

3. You can absolutely fit 3-across. You might have to go with Radians. Or 2 Radians & a MyRide. I can go out & try some of my seats later today & see how they do with 3-across. At the moment, I only need 2 seats in each row.

4. Do you have all shoulder belts in the very back? I'm assuming you have the Frontiers installed with the long belt path. The seatbelt anchors are so far forward of the bight that I find them incompatible with some FF seats, so watch out for that.

5. Could you list how tall & heavy all your kids are? If any of your kiddos are over 65lbs, they need their Frontiers tethered. Since you don't have tethers in the back row, you may have to do some re-arranging.

ETA: I found your old thread. I thought this sounded familiar ;). A 2008, so all shoulder belts. Here's a thread about headrests: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=167842
Your 10yo either needs a tether anchor or go to booster mode, and your 7yo is getting pretty close to the limit.

Last edited:

widgetwick

Thanks for the response! :) Kids are already in bed, but will get their measurements, and post tomorrow.

Thanks for the reminder that over 65# needed to be tethered in harness mode. Question from hubby...(who installs all the seats), what is the use of the tether strap that is included w/the car seats? He has used them to attach where there isn't a tether (like in the back row, attaching using the strap to the seat frame). Is this not acceptable? So, in our 12 pass. van, I will need to have 9 seats. How to arrange so all are tethered appropriately?

Thanks so much for the help!!! Appreciate it!
Stephanie

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
Is he tethering ff to the frame? Or are you meaning rf?

Ff must be to an approved tether. The frame is not an proved tether location, so that is not okay.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC