Should i replace? :(

krissybear25

So I have a decision to make and it's driving me nuts. We had some crazy rain last night and there was some flash flooding. Some friends got stuck in the water and they managed to get out of the water but not off the road. Their car would not start so we tried to tow them off the road. They had dd ( in a cosco scenera) in their car but we took her out and put her rfing in a MR next to my DS who's RF In a CA. So anyways dh forgot to tell the person driving the car to use the handbrake because his pedal brakes won't work. So he landed up hitting the bak bumper on my van :( there is no damage to my van or his car. We were going really slow. I know the car seat companies say to replace in any kind of crash. But I don't really think this qualifies. I'm sure I could have put more stress on the seats if I had to slam on my brakes. We really can't afford to replace the seats right now, and my spares seats are outgrown rfing so I would have to FF DS and my friends DD( I drive her quite a bit) which I wouldn't feel comfortable doing.
Anyways can u guys please tell me If u think I should replace them or not?

ADS

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
The mfg say replace after any crash. If you feel that this was a bump - not a crash - then they don't need replaced.

Was there any damage to either vehicle?

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Honestly then... it's really on you. None of us were there and felt the impact, kwim? So if you don't feel that there was stress on the seats, that needs to be your parental decision.

Here's another way to think of it. If, a couple of years from now -- when this incident should be long forgotten -- you get into a crash and there's a problem with the seats, are you immediately going to go "OMG it must have been that bump with the flood!"? Or would it be long forgotten? If you think it's going to weigh on you, then you need to replace.

TBH I would probably strip the seats, check for stress, and be tempted to not replace -- as a caregiver. As a tech, you should follow your manual, which means crash = replace. If it wasn't a crash, then no replacement is necessary.

Hopefully someone else will chime in here so you have more opinions than just mine. :)

monica-m

CPST Instructor
If it was no more jarring than if you slammed on your brakes then I would not consider it a crash. We don't consider seats crashed if they were in a car that braked suddenly but did not crash.

If there is no damage to the seats or the vehicles, no one is sore the next day and you truly feel that it was not a crash but a bump then the seats should be fine.

mandynee22

I wouldn't. Can you imagine replacing everytime you, say, hit a curb? No damage to vehicle, no seat belt marks on the people in the car? I'd consider it just like bumping a curb.
I once hit a deer and had no problem not replacing (this must have been like 3 years ago so Ii have since then). There was no damage to my car, not even a scratch. The deer fell over...but got right back up and ran away.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC