Regarding selling used seats come January 1st, 2012

tam_shops

THANK YOU Trudy!!! :eek::eek: for explaining this again! Now that you mention it, that was one of the reasons I opted to sell my other MA awhile back, I totally forgot that!

THANK YOU Panonim!! Seats "currently being sold in stores may or may not be compliant to the new standards" :eek::eek:

My first reaction was, poop I didn't grab a sale Frontier while I could b/c I just debated this, again! Figuring there are 2-3 good sales at TRU a year, hoping they're be another one before/after Christmas, closer to when I need it....Thinking, now they're all gone. But, if it's possible that I won't be able to sell that Frontier (and who knows what's going to come out in the next 8 years that I might want more), then I best stick w/ the few year old seats I already have and hope I can sell them when the time comes...

So, best case scenario, there is a Britax sale in Nov/Dec when the new seats are out and I pass of my MA to CL then. Worst case, I'm stuck with it. Or, I sell the *cover* for $100 and give the seat away for free like people are currently doing w/ recalled cribs. Who'd put their baby in a re-called crib instead of spending $100 and getting one from Ikea!? :eek:

THANKS everyone for stating the obvious!

tam

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
THANK YOU Trudy!!! :eek::eek: for explaining this again! Now that you mention it, that was one of the reasons I opted to sell my other MA awhile back, I totally forgot that!

THANK YOU Panonim!! Seats "currently being sold in stores may or may not be compliant to the new standards" :eek::eek:

My first reaction was, poop I didn't grab a sale Frontier while I could b/c I just debated this, again! Figuring there are 2-3 good sales at TRU a year, hoping they're be another one before/after Christmas, closer to when I need it....Thinking, now they're all gone. But, if it's possible that I won't be able to sell that Frontier (and who knows what's going to come out in the next 8 years that I might want more), then I best stick w/ the few year old seats I already have and hope I can sell them when the time comes...

So, best case scenario, there is a Britax sale in Nov/Dec when the new seats are out and I pass of my MA to CL then. Worst case, I'm stuck with it. Or, I sell the *cover* for $100 and give the seat away for free like people are currently doing w/ recalled cribs. Who'd put their baby in a re-called crib instead of spending $100 and getting one from Ikea!? :eek:

THANKS everyone for stating the obvious!

tam

I'd put my baby in those re-called cribs - the fix kits addressed it no problem, lol. OTOH, I'd never put my baby in an Ikea crib. ;) Actually - I take back the comment - it might be hard to get baby out, then again, none of them have drop-sides anymore...

tam_shops

Trudy, LOL Guess that was a value based judgment about the cribs, wasn't it! Sorry!

I wasn't talking about the cribs w/ the recall that made the drop side crib not drop anymore. The ones that were put together wrong and then broke b/c people didn't read instructions. And, no if you're short you can not get your kid out, I needed a step stool if i don't drop the side on mine. Boy that's safe at 3am.

I was talking about the Storkcraft ones that had the brackets that were breaking (though they were also installed wrong I think) and people are asking $200+ for a 2nd hand crib mattress b/c they have not bothered/able to get the recall parts and now can't sell it and people are (seemingly) buying them b/c they want the *pretty* one not the *safe* one. Drives me nuts!

At any rate, Cribs and car seats are the only things I wouldn't buy used. Who knows what they did w/ that mattress and if/what/how they stored it when between kids. If there is mold on the mattress and/or frame. Best of all, the entire Bed Bug warning that's been going through our area! :eek: Nope, no used cribs in my house. We were actually offered one, we paid less for our Sears one. I didn't buy the Ikea one either, it didn't look sturdy enough! LOL

tam

snowbird25ca

Trudy, LOL Guess that was a value based judgment about the cribs, wasn't it! Sorry!

I wasn't talking about the cribs w/ the recall that made the drop side crib not drop anymore. The ones that were put together wrong and then broke b/c people didn't read instructions. And, no if you're short you can not get your kid out, I needed a step stool if i don't drop the side on mine. Boy that's safe at 3am.

I was talking about the Storkcraft ones that had the brackets that were breaking (though they were also installed wrong I think) and people are asking $200+ for a 2nd hand crib mattress b/c they have not bothered/able to get the recall parts and now can't sell it and people are (seemingly) buying them b/c they want the *pretty* one not the *safe* one. Drives me nuts!

tam

All the ones with the dropside recall were also recalled for the brackets - and all the bracket ones with dropsides were recalled for drop side. ;) I own one of them - got the kit for the brackets but never did it. Then again - ours would've been assembled properly. The drop side thing stinks though... I do get your point, but actually don't have the same types of issues with cribs as with used car seats. You can replace a crib mattress, and wood won't be hiding bedbugs. (I fail to see how a vinyl covered mattress could hide bedbugs either for that matter, but I've never had reason to research them.) I didn't take offense from your comment, was just pointing out that the generalization didn't fit with everyone. I've seen plenty of people replacing their recalled cribs because they're not comfortable with them anymore, so I do understand it - I just don't stick it in the same category as carseats.

(and now back to your regularly scheduled programming of the topic of the thread, ;) )

tam_shops

Trudy, LOL. I see it as cribs recalled b/c of death vs car seat poorly used equals death. Mine didn't get replacement brackets, was told just a piece to hold the the side up is coming. Which is good b/c the piece which guides it up/down wasn't staying put. I'd have replaced it if it were recalled before he was born, but it wasn't. Then they did that new recall/ban on drop side and ours was included in that. I kind of figure he's 2 now, he'd scream if he got stuck...And, mine's put together following the instructions...I SOooooooo want a 2nd hand crib/toddler bed on CL right now, it's the same set from Ikea that our bunk beds are made of, but the bed bug thing freaks me out. You'd see/know about an infestation, but it only takes 1! LOL So, I'm controlling myself!

tam

April

Further derailing this thread... I sold Riley's recalled Storkcraft dropside crib and bought a used IKEA one with no instructions off craigslist. Lol. I guess we are all different hey? And it probably doesn't really matter since Gracie doesn't sleep in it anyways. I feel the used ikea crib is very safe for storing my folded laundry that won't fit in my drawers. ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

mommycat

Or, I sell the *cover* for $100 and give the seat away for free like people are currently doing w/ recalled cribs.
What does the new regulation say about this? Because the old Hazardous Products Act actually prohibited lending or giving the items away for free as well, and if you did and injury resulted you could still be held liable even though the item was free (red bolding mine):
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/cps-spc/pubs/cons/garage-eng.php
The Hazardous Products Act is administered by Health Canada. It has safety requirements for certain consumer products, many of which are intended for use by children. Under the law, you cannot import, sell, give away (including lending), or distribute products that do not meet the requirements of the Hazardous Products Act.

sparkyd

My apr 2011 radian says on the box that it meets the new standards.

My new Radian has that on the box as well. But as soon as I saw that I grabbed the manual and neither it nor the stickers on the seat have the proper wording about walking unassisted for FF. So they are actually lying by saying the seat is compliant. For all I know it complies in every other way, but that part is most definitely missing.

tiggercat

sparkyd said:
My new Radian has that on the box as well. But as soon as I saw that I grabbed the manual and neither it nor the stickers on the seat have the proper wording about walking unassisted for FF. So they are actually lying by saying the seat is compliant. For all I know it complies in every other way, but that part is most definitely missing.

Hm, I didn't check the stickers *cough*.
I'm also wondering about our giveaway seats, we won't know if they meet new standards, so can we still give them away in Jan?

Last edited:

acoro

I think I am getting confused because of talk about Hazardous goods. To be clear the seats I've purchased this year are most likely not 2012 compliant due to labelling is that correct? Or would they actually not pass current standards?

selinajean

I think I am getting confused because of talk about Hazardous goods. To be clear the seats I've purchased this year are most likely not 2012 compliant due to labelling is that correct? Or would they actually not pass current standards?

They are most likely not 2012 compliant but they will still be safe and legal for you to use. We are just unsure of whether or not this will affect whether you can re-sell the seat next year.

Keeanh

Bumping this thread to find out if we have any definite answers on private sales. I have a couple seats that I want to unload soon-ish. I'll probably just end up lending them to friends, but I'd still like to know.

Oh, just had a thought... if I lend my seats out in 2011, will it be illegal for my friends to give them back in 2012? :p

acoro

Well that's crappy. So basically the SR35 I bought earlier this year is garbage after my baby outgrows it. That's crap. Basically that means I'm using an unsafe seat for my baby if I can't give it (not sell) to someone when I'm done

snowbird25ca

Well that's crappy. So basically the SR35 I bought earlier this year is garbage after my baby outgrows it. That's crap. Basically that means I'm using an unsafe seat for my baby if I can't give it (not sell) to someone when I'm done

It's not that it's unsafe for your baby to use - we know that the seats in use right now and over the last number of years have done a very good job of protecting their occupants. It's simply that passing a seat on to someone else to use won't be legal if it doesn't meet new standards.

I think in some ways it's a case of needing to have a firm line just to standardize things.

That being said, the new standards are an improvement, so while seats which meet old standards aren't dangerous, they're potentially not as safe as ones that meet new standards. Not everybody who gets used seats gets them because they can't afford a new one - some people do it to avoid being wasteful or any other number of reasons. So if this act forces those people in to buying a new seat which is possibly safeR than one that doesn't comply with new standards, then it's a good thing.

It also means that it's illegal for those people still trying to sell the ancient OHS seats or infant seats that were made back in the 90's. Overall it will benefit a lot of babies and children. It's just more difficult to see that if you have a seat that you bought just a few months ago and have no choice but to destroy once you're done using it for your own children... (Destroying a 5yr old seat is a lot easier to do than a 1yr old seat - even if it's the same exact seat...)

I got rid of my extra seats with the exception of one a few months ago. I'll keep using my one extra personally as needed - it was used just over a week ago even. No, it doesn't meet new standards, but it's still a safe seat and it's good to have an extra seat around for the times when it's needed. For that matter, none of my kids seats are certified to new standards. And it's not something I'm going to lose sleep over - the one I've already owned for a number of years and it will likely get used until it expires. :thumbsup:

In reality, there is going to be a gray area surrounding seats that there weren't noticeable changes to, and I have no clue how they're going to tell those apart if they choose to enforce it. Many seats have such obvious changes though that it'll be blatantly obvious to anyone who is given a brief training on old vs. new... I am personally surprised on the give away or loan part - I have no clue what the reasoning is behind that unless it's just trying to close loopholes and expedite getting seats which don't comply to the updated standards out of circulation?

snowbird25ca

I'm wondering though how this will be enforced.

And I better decide which seats I have to sell or keep.

Honestly? With great difficulty. I imagine health Canada will have to send a notice to the management of sites like CraigsList and Kijiji or something so that they can update their "buying" info for consumers or something?

In the end, sometimes something being illegal is enough to stop people from doing it. They don't have the manpower for widespread enforcement, so hopefully the legality of it is enough to make most people listen.

acoro

I think it would have been better if they stated seats can be used/loaned as long as they are not expired BUT non 2012 compliant seats cannot be sold. Saying I can't loan out my seat sort if implies it is unsafe after 2011. I guess they have to draw a line in the sand somewhere but this seems pretty extreme :shrug:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC