RF RN concern?

zactayaus

Is anyone else concerned about the possibility that their RF child that is in an RN will accidentally unbuckle their siblings seat belts with their feet? Since I switched Gavin to his RN in dh's truck this has been a concern of mine and even have Austin flipping the female end of his buckle so Gavin's little toes don't pop it open (I also have Gavin's buckle flipped-it's a seat belt install). He hangs his legs completely over the sides of the seat and his legs are long enough to reach the belt buckles. Gavin's also taken to kicking his brother with his feet because of the freedom this seat has offered his legs. He's already had Austin in tears at least two time in the past week because of this. I'm seriously thinking of switching him back to the MA until he reaches the RF limit because of these two things. Anyone else have these issues? Would you switch him back if it were your child?

Here's a pic of his foot hanging over the seat and in relation to the buckle. It's the same on the other side with Austin's buckle. He is also barefoot about 90% of the time (he hates to wear shoes and socks).

101_1681.jpg

ADS

mkmama

My middle child started kicking his older brother when we first put them next to each other and DS1 was in a booster and DS2 was RF in the Radian...after a few weeks, and telling DS1 to ignore DS2 and telling DS2 that we do NOT kick, he eventually tired of the game. I just always made sure to take his shoes off during that week or two in the car.

The thought of the buckles did cross my mind...so I just put the Radian outboard and booster in the middle so the booster buckle was on the opposite side of the Radian, though I realize this isn't an option for some because of lack of lap/shoulder belts in middle seating positions.

The few times I've had to have the Radian on the side with the booster's buckle, I simply tell DS1 to keep an eye on it...our seatbelts are pretty easy to tell when they're unbuckled because they immediately start moving, so he'd have known if DS2 accidentally unbuckled it.

Pixels

In my cars, when we do side by side installs there isn't enough room for DD to get her foot to the buckles. If they're both outboard, she can't reach all the way over to the other buckle.

Has G actually succeeded in unbuckling A? If A is mature enough to ride in a booster then he should be mature enough to realize he's been unbuckled and tell you.

The kicking is a greater concern of mine. Even with both outboard and both RFing, DD kicks DS's seat. Since you have another seat that eliminates the kicking, I would switch back to it just for sanity.

zactayaus

In my cars, when we do side by side installs there isn't enough room for DD to get her foot to the buckles. If they're both outboard, she can't reach all the way over to the other buckle.

Has G actually succeeded in unbuckling A? If A is mature enough to ride in a booster then he should be mature enough to realize he's been unbuckled and tell you.

The kicking is a greater concern of mine. Even with both outboard and both RFing, DD kicks DS's seat. Since you have another seat that eliminates the kicking, I would switch back to it just for sanity.

Yeah we have huge back seats in both of our vehicles with plenty of room to reach between seats. Gavin is center with Taylor and Austin outboard (this is how it needs to be). He can't reach Taylor's buckle because of the way it's positioned (and he tends to bug her less any way). I'd prefer to keep Austin where he is though instead of switching with Taylor because he is a horrible booster rider and it's easier for me to keep an eye on him and give reminders when I'm a passenger in dh's truck.

Gavin has not actually unbuckled Austin's belt yet and yes Austin would tell me immediately if he did.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC