weight limit for latch?

Bella85

I've heard that there is a weight limit for using latch in the car and I have checked my owners manual in both our cars and cant find anything about it. We have an 04' Mitsubishi Lancer and an 03' Nissan xterra. We are using the Graco Nautilus in both cars (5pt hardness, not booster).

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Hi and welcome to car-seat.org. :) According to the LATCH manual, Mitsubishi vehicles have a LATCH installation weight limit of 48 lbs. Nissan states to use LATCH up to the weight limit stated by the carseat manufacturer for LATCH installation, which is 48 lbs. in the case of your Graco Nautilus in harnessed mode.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You didn't mention where in the car you're installing, but I wanted to mention that neither of your cars allows for LATCH use in the center.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

An add-on to that question...when calculating the weight for LATCH limits, do I add the weight of the child to the weight of the carseat (ie, my 18 mo old is 25lbs, her car seat is 20 lbs, are we effectively dealing with a 45 lb LATCH attachment)? Alternately, do car manufacturers assume a maximum car seat weight and then publish a limit over and above that weight, that refers to the child occupant of the seat only?

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
The carseat weight is technically factored in and the specific LATCH installation weight limit is stated in terms of the child's weight only in most cases. If you happen to have a Subaru, though, that's the one vehicle manufacturer which currently states the combined child weight plus the weight of the child's carseat cannot exceed 60 lbs. total for a LATCH installation.

U

Unregistered

Hi, thanks so much for that answer....my daughter will be riding LATCHed for quite a bit longer then. Appreciate it.

U

Unregistered

Thanks! I have a 10 Nissan Cube and just won a beast of a Smart Seat. I am excited but the seat weighs 33 lbs and my twins weigh 15 lbs. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to use the LATCH system.

I still have to figure out if I can showhorn it into the Cube in the first place tho...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC