Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

weight limit for latch?

I've heard that there is a weight limit for using latch in the car and I have checked my owners manual in both our cars and cant find anything about it. We have an 04' Mitsubishi Lancer and an 03' Nissan xterra. We are using the Graco Nautilus in both cars (5pt hardness, not booster).

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar

Re: weight limit for latch?

Hi and welcome to car-seat.org. According to the LATCH manual, Mitsubishi vehicles have a LATCH installation weight limit of 48 lbs. Nissan states to use LATCH up to the weight limit stated by the carseat manufacturer for LATCH installation, which is 48 lbs. in the case of your Graco Nautilus in harnessed mode.
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 14, 65" 5 steps
    DD2 Age 11, 61" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

You didn't mention where in the car you're installing, but I wanted to mention that neither of your cars allows for LATCH use in the center.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 61", 99#, seatbelt
    laine 9/16/09, 46", 54#, Diono Monterey, Chicco KidFit Zip Air
    in a 2015 BMW M235i, and my 2011 Mercedes E350 wagon

Unregistered

An add-on to that question...when calculating the weight for LATCH limits, do I add the weight of the child to the weight of the carseat (ie, my 18 mo old is 25lbs, her car seat is 20 lbs, are we effectively dealing with a 45 lb LATCH attachment)? Alternately, do car manufacturers assume a maximum car seat weight and then publish a limit over and above that weight, that refers to the child occupant of the seat only?

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar

The carseat weight is technically factored in and the specific LATCH installation weight limit is stated in terms of the child's weight only in most cases. If you happen to have a Subaru, though, that's the one vehicle manufacturer which currently states the combined child weight plus the weight of the child's carseat cannot exceed 60 lbs. total for a LATCH installation.
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 14, 65" 5 steps
    DD2 Age 11, 61" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar

Unregistered

Hi, thanks so much for that answer....my daughter will be riding LATCHed for quite a bit longer then. Appreciate it.

Thank you! The seats are being used with LATCH on the drivers side, not in the middle

Unregistered

Thanks! I have a 10 Nissan Cube and just won a beast of a Smart Seat. I am excited but the seat weighs 33 lbs and my twins weigh 15 lbs. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to use the LATCH system.

I still have to figure out if I can showhorn it into the Cube in the first place tho...