TSA and my Radian

SavsMom

Flying back from a trip to see family today I was detained by the TSA while they "stripped" dd's Radian, why you ask? Small town airport screeners have never viewed a steel re-inforced seat on their scanners before, they actually gasped when it came through. They actually thought I had a rifle hidden in her car seat!!! After some explaining about the seat and how to remove the cover they let us go. That was fun, LOL!

Sent from my Vortex using Car-Seat.Org

ADS

Aurezalia

Oh my gosh! :ROTFLMAO: I'm sure that wasn't funny until you got it all worked out, but oh my gosh!

crunchierthanthou

:ROTFLMAO:

Being from the same state, I can totally see that. I thoroughly dread small airport screenings. You wouldn't think so, but they are so much more hassle than big airports where everything is streamlined. Small airport TSA personnel are wound super tight. Like anyone is going to try to take down a 50 seater. :p

stephpook

That's awesome!

My parents buy big bricks of brick cheese whenever they go back to visit family in Wisconsin and my mom always puts it in her carry-on for the flight home. Last time we flew back the airport security people had to do a test on every single package of cheese she was carrying to verify that they weren't explosives.

We flew out there one time when my oldest was a baby and brought the Fisher Price aquarium toy that attaches to the side of the crib to help my son get to sleep at night. My mom carried it and the cheese back in her carry-on and the security people just about had a heart attack because of the way the batteries in the toy and the cheese lined up. Apparently it looked like a bomb on the scanning machine.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Wow.

Posted by a robot and susceptible to unrelated and potentially inappropriate AutoCorrects.

Phineasmama

That's awesome!

My parents buy big bricks of brick cheese whenever they go back to visit family in Wisconsin and my mom always puts it in her carry-on for the flight home. Last time we flew back the airport security people had to do a test on every single package of cheese she was carrying to verify that they weren't explosives.

We flew out there one time when my oldest was a baby and brought the Fisher Price aquarium toy that attaches to the side of the crib to help my son get to sleep at night. My mom carried it and the cheese back in her carry-on and the security people just about had a heart attack because of the way the batteries in the toy and the cheese lined up. Apparently it looked like a bomb on the scanning machine.

OMG that's hilarious! I wonder what they thought when they figured out it was actually just cheese and a baby toy :p

Calleiah

Is anyone else having flashes of the I Love Lucy episode where she smuggles a baby sized chunk of cheese onto an airplane by pretending it's a baby? Hahahaa. Sorry, had to throw that out there. So happy I don't fly anywhere.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Calleiah said:
Is anyone else having flashes of the I Love Lucy episode where she smuggles a baby sized chunk of cheese onto an airplane by pretending it's a baby? Hahahaa. Sorry, had to throw that out there. So happy I don't fly anywhere.

That's my favorite I Love Lucy episode EVER! (And one of my favorite TV episodes of all time.)

stephpook

OMG that's hilarious! I wonder what they thought when they figured out it was actually just cheese and a baby toy :p

I'm pretty sure everyone laughed about it when it was all said and done, but they were dead serious when they told her she needed to step to the side and have her bag checked. :p

SavsMom

TSA was dead serious and they seemed confused as to why I would possibly have a gun. Needless to say it didn't bother me a bit as I am harmless and I also realize they have probably never seen a Radian before. I told them how to remove the cover and about how the seat in re-inforced, they looked it over, helped me put it back together and we were on our way, LOL! And here I was worried about my carry on being too large!

Sent from my Vortex using Car-Seat.Org

TiaxMarie

That has happened to me in THREE different airports. The worst was Manchester, NH, they took my seat and wouldn't let me help them take the cover off, and as you all know, the Radian covers can be tricky. Then after everything was said and done, they used it for some training and brought over several agents to watch it go through the xray machine.

Now I always arrive really early when I travel with the Radian.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC