How well does the MR fit small babies?

karina250

Just wondering if anyone had any comments on how well the MR fits small babies. Like 5-6 lbs and short? We found out today that baby girl is going to be very tiny (she is measuring 3 weeks behind right now.) and that she will most likely be tiny at birth. I am hoping she is at least 5lbs so she can use this seat to bring her home, but I know that if she is smaller and able to come home we will have to get something else.

ADS

nevaehsmommy

My niece rode in one shortly after her birth. She was 5# and a few ounces. With the infant padding in the straps were just even maybe a smidge above her shoulders. I was not able to get the straps as snug as I would have liked.

However around 7lbs the fit was perfect

zeo2ski

First of all, I LOVE the name Hallie, my DD was very close to being a Hallie. :)

Second, you know ultrasound measurements are not very acurate, especially this late in the pregnancy. Are you expecting to deliver early?

I'll try to find you a link, I posted my DD in some seats as a newborn. Her smallest weight was 5 lb 15 oz, 19.5" and I didn't try her in the MR til about 2 weeks, so definitely over 6 lbs. It actually fit her better than the SR22 (front adjust), but it wasn't perfect.

zeo2ski

Agh I can't click the linky button...but here's my post url: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=130535

So in it I said she was 6.5 lbs and 20.5" at 2 weeks and I wrote that I wished I had tried that out to come home from the hospital. So if I were in your position, I would plan on using the MR you already have. Bring it in to the hospital as soon as possible to try her out in it, and if she really is too small, have DH go buy something else. That's actually what happened to me, I knew DS2 had been too short for the SR but I used it anyway, and found c-s.o a few months later... So I researched what seats would fit a smaller newborn (my babies are late term preemies) and had that list in my hospital bag. Brought in the SR the first day she was born, she was much too small for it so DH went off to BRU with the list and got a KF30. Probably could have paid a little less for it if I'd bought ahead of time, but there was the possibility that we could just use the SR we already had and save much more $$ still.
Just an idea.

karina250

First of all, I LOVE the name Hallie, my DD was very close to being a Hallie. :)

Second, you know ultrasound measurements are not very acurate, especially this late in the pregnancy. Are you expecting to deliver early?

I'll try to find you a link, I posted my DD in some seats as a newborn. Her smallest weight was 5 lb 15 oz, 19.5" and I didn't try her in the MR til about 2 weeks, so definitely over 6 lbs. It actually fit her better than the SR22 (front adjust), but it wasn't perfect.

I have no idea if she will come early or not. I have already had the steroid shots in case she does, but as of right now there is not reason to take her early. She is being monitored closely for other things besides her weight though. Overall they say she is small (both at the local hospital and the larger hospital with the NICU) both weight wise, and in her arms, legs, head, abdomen, etc. Also her cord doppler readings have been high, but as long as nothing changes she doesn't need to come early, but it wont be stopped if she does. I realise that the ultrasounds can be off, but I feel pretty confident considering two different hospitals told me the same measurements within 2 oz. Also I had an ultrasound with my DS a week before he was born and they were very close. He was 5 lbs 7oz at birth and I was told he was right around 5lbs. Cant remember the ounces as that was 3 years ago, lol.

Thank you so much for your advice. I really hope that she is able to make it to term and put on some more weight, but overall I just want her to be healthy. Your advice has been very helpful though as well as your photos. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC