Vent Why don't parents get it? (kinda long sorry but I need to get it out)

Kobain's Mommy

So my car has been acting up. I haven't driven it in over 2 weeks. Last time it was driven DH was driving. The check engine light came on and the speedometer stopped working at the same time. Then the car (an automatic) wouldn't get out of 1st gear. We took it to my parents' house and DH hooked it up to my dad's code reader. It threw out 3 codes. Not having the funds to take it to the shop I Googled the codes and found a board where a guy with the same year and car described the same issue and got the same code numbers. DH had finals last week for summer classes so he was to busy to work on the car. He thought it was the computer box that controls the transmission. We just wanted to price out the computer $700 :eek:. Then it would be an extra $100 for them to program the computer even if DH installed the computer.

Well yesterday my dad gets this hair up his butt the car needs to get fixed now. He's afraid if something happens to DS I'll need the car... The ER is 2 blocks from my house so I've not been worried about it. Anyways dad takes the car to his house. He thinks it's two senors. So today he goes and buys those. It clears 2 codes, the third is still there, then throws out two more codes. Same thing happened to the guy on the board I mentioned. The guy took his car in and it was the harness between the main computer and transmission computer. So my dad decides to take the car in and just have us make payments to him and my mom. DH talk and agree that it's fine for them to help us. I just requested we either be there when they take it in.

DH gets home and we wait for like 2 hours for them to call. I keep calling their house but no one answers. I know I should have called my mom's cell but she told me she'd call before they go. Finally she answers and said they just got home from the dealership.:mad::mad: I'm instantly mad! My CCO was still in the car, along with my iPod in the transmitter (on the floor behind the driver's seat), DS's stroller, and my Goddaughter's birthday present. I asked my mom if they took anything out of my car. She said "No, they asked your dad if anything was needed in the car and he said no." At this point I can just feel myself getting red. I'm like I don't trust them with the car seat and my iPod was in the car. She acts like it's no big deal. I tell her if I had to replace the seat it will be $250. She still not getting it says "well if they do something to it or break it they'll have to pay for it." I told he it doesn't work that way. They'll ask for proof the seat wasn't broken when my dad brought the car in. Then she says the unthinkable... "Well the seat will be fine, you can use it broken." :eek::eek::eek: Also while Googling things I noticed there was a few recalls and TSBs on the car. I wanted to make sure they were all checked/fixed as long as the dealership had the car.

Still angry I hang up with her to call the dealership to see if DH and I can go there to get stuff out of the car. They tell me I have 30 minutes till they close to get there. We hurry up and get there. The guy was nice. I just had to show my ID that it was my car. They had already started on it and put it on the lift, so the guy lowered it so I could get my stuff out. I get the stroller and GD's birthday present out of the trunk. Then to the seat. It was still fine, but I was glad to just get it out(plus I need to change the cover since the one on it needs to be washed). The guy tried helping me but had no idea how it buckles in. I got DS's car toys out and into DH's truck so he'll have something in there till I get my car back. Well I see the iPod dock was partly under the seat. I pull it out and the iPod was gone. I thought well maybe my dad saw the iPod and grabbed that already. So get back to DH's truck with my stuff and call my mom again. She then informs me my dad had no idea the iPod was in the car.. Big shocker there:rolleyes:, why did they think I wanted to be there when they took it in.

After I get off the phone I'm fuming mad. DH he thinks that when he worked on the car last week the iPod was off the dock but on the floor next to the dock, on the floor behind the driver's seat. He said it may be under the seat. I had tried feeling under the seat when I saw it wasn't on the dock but didn't feel anything. There may be a chance it's under there, but I'm doubting it. DH feels that if the iPod is gone we should take that off what we owe my parents, since I told them I wanted to be there when they took it in. My dad was being impatient like normal and just took it in not knowing what was in the car. And even once they got there never called to ask if there was anything in the car I needed out.

If you made it this far THANK YOU for reading the vent. Cyber cookies to you.

ADS

amymariee

I would totally take off the cost of a new one off of what you owe ( personally for him going against your wishes -- I would upgrade to a better iPod if there is a better!

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
Crazy! But sounds like something my dad would also do. Hope you find it or I would take it off what you owe them since he said you could.

mommycat

Mmm cyber cookies. Sorry about the hassle and the potentially gone ipod. hope it turns up under the seat after all.

jnamommy

Ugg, I hope your iPod is under the seat.

But from another perspective, I don't think you should deduct the cost of a replacement iPod from what you would owe them. Yes, they absolutely should have called you first. But they WERE trying to help, they didn't know you specificially wanted to take the iPod and carseat out, and it sounds like they were concerned about you and ds in case of am emergency - so it seems like they truly were trying to help. Mistake? Absolutely. Good Intentions? Yes. But they are your parents - would arguing over the cost of an iPod put a strain in your relationship? If so, it's probably not worth it IMO.

Not trying to be harsh, just my :twocents:

emtb79

What did the people say at the dealership? Im sorry its lost I am lost without my iPod and my iPhone.

I lost my ipod in the house and it had all the daycare music on it.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Ugg, I hope your iPod is under the seat.

But from another perspective, I don't think you should deduct the cost of a replacement iPod from what you would owe them. Yes, they absolutely should have called you first. But they WERE trying to help, they didn't know you specificially wanted to take the iPod and carseat out, and it sounds like they were concerned about you and ds in case of am emergency - so it seems like they truly were trying to help. Mistake? Absolutely. Good Intentions? Yes. But they are your parents - would arguing over the cost of an iPod put a strain in your relationship? If so, it's probably not worth it IMO.

Not trying to be harsh, just my :twocents:

I'm sorry that happened, but I agree. They were trying to help. I would tell them that the iPod is now missing, and if they offer to cover/replace it I would accept, but I would not just decide not to pay them back what I owed them.

Kobain's Mommy

My mom didn't even tell my dad the iPod was missing apparently. The car is done. Our main wire harness was completely tore up. They think it's because our ally is so full of pot holes, there is a group of like 4-5 of them in a row that a toddler could fit in, and the car bottoms out if we use the north side of the ally. I already put in a complaint to the city to get the ally fixed.

I'm hoping and praying it's under the seat. But am not holding my breath. My mom thinks I should just "eat the cost" of the ipod if it's not there. We are paying them back for fixing the car. I actually found out it was a lot less then we were quoted and I had enough money on my emergency CC to cover it. I know the car needed to be fixed, but it irritates me they didn't even bother to call and ask if there was anything in the car before they took it in, or said they were taking it in and to meet them at the dealership.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
If its not in the car, I would complain to the shop also. They need to know if it was taken/possibly taken while in there care. It might not be the first time.

ahgirls

pippi2077 said:
If its not in the car, I would complain to the shop also. They need to know if it was taken/possibly taken while in there care. It might not be the first time.

I would too but don't use the guys at the repair desk, ask for the GM.

Kobain's Mommy

When I got the car back I looked under both seats and no iPod. I then looked in the counsel... Sure enough it was there. My dad said he saw the transmitter, but the iPod wasn't on it and he didn't even know the iPod was in the car. I then asked DH again. He said he may have moved it when he worked on the car on Sunday, but can't fully remember. I know I didn't move it because I was holding the dock with the iPod in it when the check engine light came on so I put it back on the floor. I'm happy I found it! And my car is fixed. They even fixed the two recalls on the car.

If the iPod was gone I know there would have been hell to pay. My dad is friends with the GM of the dealership. My mom told my dad it was missing when they went to pick it up. He said if I hadn't found it, he would have went to talk to his friend. Over the years my parents have given that dealership a lot of money. Last year alone they bought a new Challenger there. Either way it's a happy ending. I got my CCO's other clothes on it before it went back in the car, still Cherry Pie. And DS was happy to have his CCO back. When I was done changing the cover today it was still in the house and he wanted to sit in it while he watched YoGabbaGabba.

Kat_Momof3

so glad for a happy ending... but the comment about a broken seat from your mom... OMG.

and knowing that your dad is friends with the GM explains them not being concerned about SOME stuff being left in the car, but I still view those situations as this (in my case, one of the mechanics in charge is my brother-in-law)

I may have this close relationship with one of the people in charge, I may have bought my car there, always take my car there... but does this mean I can trust every single mechanic that works for them? No... and my brother in law has chastised his own daughter for leaving her ipod in her car when she took it in (same dealership)... granted, he knows most of them to be good, honest people, because they've been there a long time, but it's just easier to not put yourself in the situation of the possibility of something happening.

Because what could happen is this... sure, "item of whatever value" could have been broken because of you... but if you didn't know it and didn't clear out the car, and when you pick it up, your "item of whatever value" is broken, we all know who would get the blame... and who the people in charge would blame. And of course, because again, as well as a manager can trust his employees, you never REALLY know someone unless you ARE that person, and you never know what might possess an otherwise honest person... so it's just better to protect yourself and your belongings.

Anyway, you were already thinking that, I know, but was hoping it would help you explain it to your dad.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC