Forever Cool as an Aftermarket Product

Would you use this behind your child's back in a car seat?

• Yes

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • No

Votes: 12 52.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bella_1818

It's sold at Walgreens for $19.99 and is called Forever Cool. It claims to be "...a gelmat that stays cool and absorbs heat from the body and keeps you cool..." It's 15.38 inches X 11.5 inches and about the thickness of a nickle. It's very pliable and feels like a wet-suit.

It does NOT need to be frozen first- it stays at room temperature. Our Walgreens had them over by heating pads and muscle cream.

I used it in the car today and it actually works. It felt like a cool cloth that I had just taken out of the freezer :love:

Would you feel comfortable placing this behind your child's back in their car seat?

Last edited:
ADS

leighi123

Do you have to loosen the harness any to make it fit? Does it get in the way of the straps? Does it work if you just put it on top of the kid?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I would prefer a product that you put in the seat when you're out of the car and cools down the seat, but is removed before the child gets in.

bella_1818

I have a black sedan with black upholstery. DS is rear-facing and doesn't get a lot of air flow. We use a reflective shade in the front window and also a reflective seat cover when the seat is not in use, but DS still arrives at locations sweat soaked (through the shirt, hair looks like he just showered).

I did not have to adjust the seat in any way to make it fit, but it works on contact so I don't think it would work on top of the child unless they held it very tight to their body, which would be difficult to do with the harness straps and chest clip.

bnsnyde

Great questions on a 100+ degree day (for some!).

If I blast the air the van is cool almost right away, but in the car it's another story. No tinted windows = hot!

Interesting post!

Kat_Momof3

it's as thick or thicker than that nickel, so no.

I doubt it would compress, so it may be safe... but without having crash tests to show me it wouldn't manage to slip out from under a booster rider, I wouldn't use it with a booster.

and for harnessed seats, I just wouldn't go there for the same reasons... I want crash tests.

Brianna

I may consider it on extremely hot days only if J still passed the pinch test after the pad was removed.

msg221

I would prefer a product that you put in the seat when you're out of the car and cools down the seat, but is removed before the child gets in.

That would be the Cold Seat, which I have. It is still be on the Baby Half Off Archives, and it's only $5 more (well, plus shipping).

http://babyhalfoff.com/Baby-Half-Off-Archives

I even use it when the kids aren't with me. For example, I have those insulated bags that I use when I go to the store and will be buying refrigerated or frozen food. I put my groceries in that insulated bag then throw the Cold Seat in there and it keeps everything nice and cold. Last weekend I bought chocolate at Costco, packed it like I mentioned, shopped for another two hours and the chocolate was perfect when I got home. This was when it was about 105 out, and obviously way hotter than that in my vehicle when it was parked!

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
That would be the Cold Seat, which I have. It is still be on the Baby Half Off Archives, and it's only $5 more (well, plus shipping).

I even use it when the kids aren't with me. For example, I have those insulated bags that I use when I go to the store and will be buying refrigerated or frozen food. I put my groceries in that insulated bag then throw the Cold Seat in there and it keeps everything nice and cold. Last weekend I bought chocolate at Costco, packed it like I mentioned, shopped for another two hours and the chocolate was perfect when I got home. This was when it was about 105 out, and obviously way hotter than that in my vehicle when it was parked!

I have a Cold Seat that I bought for our dog when we travel. She sits in the 3rd row where there's no air vents. I admit I've used it a time or two on *my* seat!

bella_1818

DS tried the Forever Cool yesterday for the first time. The "feels like" temperature was 110 with 79% humidity. I did not have to adjust his harness in anyway for him to use it and he still passed with pinch test with or without the forever cool without any harness adjustment. It's the first time this summer he's arrived anywhere without being sweat soaked and he's in love with the product. I'm not saying it's the right choice for everyone, but we are choosing to use it for now. I feel like it's the best of my bad options.

sunnymw

I live in the deep deep south, and have no air in my car... And the vents blow hot air. We restrict travel to early morning or night, but sometimes it is unavoidable during the day, when the inside of the car can be 120+ . I wouldn't hesitate to buy three of these if I could.

Typed with fat fingers on a tiny touchscreen keyboard, please excuse typos and autocorrects...

cookie123

So, the Forever Cool doesn't go in the freezer first? You just sit on it and it draws away your body heat?

bella_1818

So, the Forever Cool doesn't go in the freezer first? You just sit on it and it draws away your body heat?

That's right. It does NOT go in the freezer first. I bought it at Walgreens and used it on the way home from Walgreens. The box says not to leave it in a hot car, and since it trifolds I've been putting it in the diaper bag where the changing mat used to go (DS is almost 4).

msg221

That is neat that you can just keep it in the diaper bag. The Cold Seat is only good when I remember to get it out of the freezer! I might try that Forever Cool for me! I hate when I get all sweaty in the car, even with the AC on high!

Kobain's Mommy

Thread Crap...

What the heck are the things next to the Cold Seat?!?!:eek::eek::eek:
http://babyhalfoff.com/Snugzee-Car-Seat-Neck-Support?___store=default

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC