What seat is this?

illumini

Is it expired? Or just an older type that is close to expiring?
I saw it in a parking lot and was very confused by it.

Thanks!

ADS

Pixels

That's an overhead shield seat. Many are expired but I don't think all of them are yet.

christineka

Looks like it has an aftermarket cover on it. My rough guess, looking at it and the pictorial is that it's the enspira, which was made from 2005-2009.

illumini

Thanks! I know there's a type of shield (sold in Europe mainly, right?) that is "safe" but these types aren't as safe? Also there's one of the European type shield seats coming on the market here, correct?

Thanks again!

Pixels

This kind of shield is dangerous. It looks/feels "safe" because there is this safety bar between the child and Other Stuff. What actually happens is the child face-plants on the bar, which has no energy absorbing properties.

European shield seats don't have a harness at all. They are shield boosters. They are fine because they work in a completely different way than anything that has been on the North American market.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Thanks! I know there's a type of shield (sold in Europe mainly, right?) that is "safe" but these types aren't as safe? Also there's one of the European type shield seats coming on the market here, correct?

Thanks again!

Correct. This type of shield is not desirable at all. It is DESIGNED to have the child's body (or head, or face, or whatever is in front of the shield) slam into it in an accident.

Kat_Momof3

safe shields are made almost entirely (or truly entirely) out of eps foam... these are hollow hard plastic... and not secured snug to the torso of the child like the acceptable ones...

what happened in crash test videos was that crash test dummy heads were hitting the shield... aka... head injuries waiting to happen.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC