can shoulders go over top slots in Britax ma

asch884

Can someone help me out.

I was on anther board were a person was asking about carseats one of the replys said that a child can still use the Britax marathon when there shoulders go over the last slot until there ears get to the top of the seat. Correct me if I am wrong here but I thought the only seat that allowed that was the radian. This lady insists that this is correct and it is in her manual. I can not find it in my classic ma manual anywhere.

So is this correct or am I correct and it can only be used until the child is even or under the top slots?

I had a ma and my youngest outgrew it by my way of doing it shoulders going over the top slots at 2.5 years old.

ADS

Lea_Ontario

NO.

Only Sunshine Kids allows shoulders going over the tops slots. NOT Britax.

On page 7 of the Marathon manual :

WARNING!
Do NOT use the child seat forward-facing if any of the following apply:
• the child is less than one year of age or
• the child is less than 20 lbs. (9.1 kg.) in weight or
• the child exceeds 65 lbs. (29.5 kg.) in weight or
• the child exceeds 49” (124.5 cm.) in height or
• the top of the ears are above the top of the child seat shell or
• the harness straps are in slots below the child’s shoulders, parallel to
level ground (Fig. B)

Jennifer mom to my 7

She may have a much older marathon that is expired. In the original manuals, I believe the harness height was left out of the outgrowing part.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Wow, that's interesting that old MAs could go over. I know the newer ones cannot.

emtb79

I just traded one in that had that rule in it saying you could go over the top slots. Mine in fact still had one more year so there are some floating around with that wording in it.

aeormsby

I think mine that expire next year might have that wording also (but I'm too lazy to go out in the hot car to check). Not that I would use them that way knowing what I know. Just like I wouldn't feel comfortable using the Radian over the top slots either even though they allow it.

asch884

So how old are the ones that you can go over the top slots as in when were they manufactured. My old ma which i got in 2005 didnt have that in the Manuel. So just wondering when they would have expired.

I sent her a message but she has not replyed back to me.

emtb79

My newphews was made in 06 bought at BRU in the Platinum fashion. I had one I bought like that too a couple months earlier. And I also bought one at Target and it didnt have the wording in the manual.

aeormsby

This is what my manual says for harness height:

Fullscreen%252520capture%252520822011%25252014157%252520PM.bmp.jpg

Like I posted earlier, they expire next year (Manuf dates of April & July (I think) of 2006)

Jennifer mom to my 7

THat makes a bit of sense, but I want to think that britax wanted to retro the new rules to the old seats, even if they didn't actually say so. I mean, if you look up an old manual for that seat, you will get the newer manual with the harness height rule. NOt that I agree, just that that is how it is.

LIke, my decathlon manual (2006 dom) states that child can be even with the top of the seat rear facing, but newer manuals state the 1 inche rule.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC