Critique my car possibilities

Aurezalia

...For HOPEFULLY the last time. :p

I'm looking at:

2006 Pontiac Vibe
Thoughts - MPG is very good. May be smaller than I'd like. Doesn't look like it'd do well with RF RN. Smaller cargo area than I want. Gets at least one 3-star safety rating. Perfect price point. Available AWD.

2007 Jeep Patriot
Thoughts - Fixed headrests in the back could make it incompatible with FF seats. MPG is very good. 3-across would be very hard at best. Small cargo area. Available in AWD. Good price. Good, but not spectacular for safety. Ability to do some minor off-roading.

2006 Saturn Vue
Thoughts - Good for 3-across. 3 full sets of LATCH. Don't think it does well with RF RN's. CVT tranny. Smaller cargo area than I would like, but more doable than the others. MPG is okay. Good price.

2006 Mazda5
Thoughts - MPG is okay, not great. I would only be able to use it with the 3rd row folded down, so that makes it a 4-seater, and cargo wouldn't be contained at all, although it would be a large space.

2009 Dodge Journey
Thoughts - More expensive by everything else I'm looking at, but may be able to swing it. Has a 3rd row that gives impressive cargo capacity with it folded down. Plays with RN's well. Gets okay gas mileage IF I get the 2wd, wimpy engine (Which is hard to find). Gets great crash test ratings.

ETA: Ally just reminded me about having the Chevy Malibu Maxx on my list too. So, that also. :p It has okay gas mileage, cargo is good.

So.... ugh. I have no idea what to do. Any input/experience with the vehicles I listed? Any other vehicles you think I should add to my list? Hhhhh

Last edited:
ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
The CVT (continuously variable transmission) on the Vue caught my notice when looking through your list and I'd steer clear of that one because the CVT in the Vue is notoriously unreliable. :( It might have an extended warranty on the CVT because of its reputation for breaking down if I'm remembering correctly how GM handled the CVT failure issue several years ago, but not sure if it's a transferrable warranty beyond the original owners, and even so it could still fail and strand you, not a good situation to find yourself in. :eek: I'd go with the Vibe (essentially a Toyota Corolla/Matrix in Pontiac clothing :)) or the Mazda 5 of the models you're considering on your list.:twocents:

P1ally

Mazda5 hands down. Not all vues had CVTs, but they still have some funny issues. The journey is poop. I wouldn't buy the vibe because pontiacs are unreliable.

If you can stomach it, get an MPV! :p

Aurezalia

P1ally said:
Mazda5 hands down. Not all vues had CVTs, but they still have some funny issues. The journey is poop. I wouldn't buy the vibe because pontiacs are unreliable.

If you can stomach it, get an MPV! :p

Missy, YOU'RE the one that got me started worrying about the cargo thing! You are do not helpful! Rofl.
And the Vibe is pretty much a toyota. Literally. They're built together and most of the vibe is actually built with toyota parts. It's a rebranded and slightly less expensive toyota matrix.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Reliability mainly combined with functionality for carseats and mpg. Those Jeep headrests in particular pose compatibility concerns for carseat installs. Pretty much all 4-cylinder ~2002-2006 Vues except those with manual transmissions have CVTs. You could consider a manual transmission 4-cylinder Vue if you can find one of those to avoid the CVT and still have better mpg than a V6 equipped Vue. The mpg on the V6 equipped Vues is pretty gas hoggy based on the V6 equipped '03 Vue with AWD I had for a couple of years (I typically get the same or better gas mileage in our Sienna compared to our former V6 '03 Vue). But non-CVT Vue reliability isn't likely as good in general compared to the Vibe or Mazda5. :twocents:

theannex2

I'll throw in a vote for the Vibe! We have a 2003 with 140k miles. Consumer Reports has glowing reliability ratings on all years, last I checked. I've had our Radian 65SL installed RF in the center and behind the passenger, with the seatbelt. It does take a few buckle twists, and I'm not thrilled with the tightness (used to rock solid Britax), but it installs upright enough to fit 2 tall-ish adults in front just fine.

HTH,
Anne

cupcakepirate11

Mazda is owned by Ford which would be my only qualm with the Mazda, silly or not. It seems like the wisest choice to me at least

I would just get a Toyota if you are looking at vibes. Which I know is not even on your list! They do have great longevity however. :sorry!:

Aurezalia

Reliability mainly combined with functionality for carseats and mpg. Those Jeep headrests in particular pose compatibility concerns for carseat installs. Pretty much all 4-cylinder ~2002-2006 Vues except those with manual transmissions have CVTs. You could consider a manual transmission 4-cylinder Vue if you can find one of those to avoid the CVT and still have better mpg than a V6 equipped Vue. The mpg on the V6 equipped Vues is pretty gas hoggy based on the V6 equipped '03 Vue with AWD I had for a couple of years (I typically get the same or better gas mileage in our Sienna compared to our former V6 '03 Vue). But non-CVT Vue reliability isn't likely as good in general compared to the Vibe or Mazda5. :twocents:

Ok, thanks! I've pretty much ruled out the Vue anyway, but good to read. :)

Do you mind sharing your budget range?

What about the Toyota Highlander?
Budget, I'd like to top at about $10k. The Journey is several thousand more than that, but I'd really only want to do that if I absolutely can't find anything else.
Honestly, I'm not a fan of the Highlander (At least not the ones I can find near my price range), and would like to stay away from Toyota, mostly because of their no-touching rule. I prefer cars I can brace in.

I'll throw in a vote for the Vibe! We have a 2003 with 140k miles. Consumer Reports has glowing reliability ratings on all years, last I checked. I've had our Radian 65SL installed RF in the center and behind the passenger, with the seatbelt. It does take a few buckle twists, and I'm not thrilled with the tightness (used to rock solid Britax), but it installs upright enough to fit 2 tall-ish adults in front just fine.

HTH,
Anne

That's really great to hear! Thanks for the input about the Radian, that's something I had been trying to find. As far as the cargo area, how much can you realistically fit in it? What stroller do you throw back there, how much space does it have, etc?

Aurezalia

Mazda is owned by Ford which would be my only qualm with the Mazda, silly or not. It seems like the wisest choice to me at least

I would just get a Toyota if you are looking at vibes. Which I know is not even on your list! They do have great longevity however. :sorry!:

Oops, we cross posted!
Why would Mazda being owned by ford trouble you?
And as far as the Matrix vs the Vibe, the difference is that I can get essentially the same car with the Pontiac for less, and the Pontiac allows bracing (Pontiac airbag sensors are under seat, not in seat back). I don't care about resale value, I'll drive it into the ground. It has the same reliability and build as the Matrix, but with a few perks. :)

Melanie

And as far as the Matrix vs the Vibe, the difference is that I can get essentially the same car with the Pontiac for less, and the Pontiac allows bracing (Pontiac airbag sensors are under seat, not in seat back).:)

I thought I heard this same thing somewhere about them being the same. That would make me really like the Vibe. My cousin has an older Matrix and it's been a great car. It has a ton of cargo room for a car it's size. She hauls 2 adults, a car seat child, 2 100+lb dogs and luggage in it. One dog goes in the cargo area and the other on the 1/2 folded down back seat.

theannex2

O
That's really great to hear! Thanks for the input about the Radian, that's something I had been trying to find. As far as the cargo area, how much can you realistically fit in it? What stroller do you throw back there, how much space does it have, etc?

I have a pretty compact stroller (Mac Quest), but with some patience we can fit that plus suitcases for 2 adults and 2 kids, and a Pack-n-Play, with some room left for shoving in smaller items like pillows, Christmas presents, etc. With seats etc folded down, we've fit in some big items from Ikea like the Kura loft bed boxes. We bought the roof rack too, thinking we might need it for vacations, but actually never needed the space.

HTH,

Superman9379

Though I do love my Mazda5, I would caution you to tread carefully with the 2006 Mazda5. The 2006-2007 years had some tire wear problems. Please check the inside of the rear tires for uneven wear. You also will not get any rear air conditioning vents, those were added in 2008 I believe. My third row passengers already complain about the air conditioning even though I have the rear air conditioning console. I also think the 2006 may be missing some arm rests that were added in later years. Minor, but might matter to you. Really, the tire wear issue will cost you the most over the life time of the car if your particular car has the issue. It may not though.

I also like the Pontiac Vibe. What is the mileage and price for the Vibe and the Mazda5? From your list, those two vehicles would be my top choices.

Superman9379

I thought of another car possiblity. The Kia Rondo. No longer sold 'new' in the United States, but still sold and popular in Canada. As long as you get a 2006+ Kia, it should be as reliable as a Hyundai as Hyundai bought/partnered up with Kia in 2006. The Kia Rondo was Mazda5's biggest rival until it stopped being sold.

SavsMom

The Vibe and Matrix are the same vehicle with only minor differences on the exterior. I wouldn't hesitate to get a Vibe at all.
Having said that though I would look at the Mazda5 first, Vibe the Vibe and/or MalibuMaxx second. I wouldn't even look at the Patriot...they are small and have their share of problems.

Sent from my Vortex using Car-Seat.Org

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC