Antique Car and Booster Child.

crstcrzy

A friend of mines mom drives an antique muscle car. Child in question is 5 years old and 54 lbs. She is full time boostered.
Muscle car has Lap Belt only. She does not have, nor is she willing to get a 5pt harness for child, given that they are moving to Utah in 3 weeks. In the mean time, what is the safest option for child to be transported in said muscle car (this is their primary means of transportation).
Advice?

ADS

christineka

Get an 86y universal harness to use with the booster. Or buy a ride safer travel vest. Both require a top tether, I believe. Does the front seat have a shoulder belt? If so, then just move the booster up front. (Not the safest option.)

Baylor

Why won't she get a harness for that child? That makes no sense to me. How people sacrifice safety for a few dollars.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
The new booster with the shield. I doubt she will want to drill into the old car for a tether anchor.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Judi said:
The new booster with the shield. I doubt she will want to drill into the old car for a tether anchor.

Doesn't that still have the 40-lb limit on it, though?

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Oh. Sometimes I'm not so bright. Sorry.

Can she *get* an American seat now? I'm generally against importing and rule-breaking, but I'd not throw a hissy fit over her using an American seat for three weeks.

crstcrzy

We are in Canada (NS to be exact). I don't have a seat that I can lend her for the time being, nor does the vehicle have a top tether (or able to be fitted with one and keep its "original condition" title.) The front seats are Lap Belts only as well. Is there a safe (or "safer") option for the next 2-3 weeks before they move?

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
If there are only lap belts and she can't harness, she needs to decide if the risks of boostering with a lap belt exceed the risks of not boostering with a lap belt. People are sort of torn on the issue and I'm not sure there's a definitive answer.

crstcrzy

There is no head rest, and with the booster, child's head is just about too high (seat back is right about the middle of her ear). Unfortionately, I don't see any "win" situation here :(

monica-m

CPST Instructor
Why won't she get a harness for that child? That makes no sense to me. How people sacrifice safety for a few dollars.

Being judgmental does not help the OP find a solution to recommend.

I agree with Judi, boosterless for now (and pray she doesn't get in an accident) and then help her find a solution that will work for after they move and the top tether is no longer required by law.

hrice

Judi said:
I would go boosterless and help her make a game plan for after the move.

I agree with this. I'd add to have the child in the center of the back seat if possible. Obviously this situation is far from ideal but I think this is "best" of she won't purchase a harnessed seat.

It's very hard to wrap our minds around these situations and very easy to judge and get angry. But judging and getting angry will get us nowhere. All we can do is offer the best advice given each individual situation and hope for the best.

Chely7425

It's very hard to wrap our minds around these situations and very easy to judge and get angry. But judging and getting angry will get us nowhere. All we can do is offer the best advice given each individual situation and hope for the best.

Yes, this ^^ Very well put.

Pixels

CHOP says no booster in a lap-only belt. So does the CPST curriculum. With a booster, you dramatically increase the risk of head injury. Without a booster, you increase the risk of seatbelt syndrome, which includes bleeding out from abdominal organ injury or paralysis from lower spine injury. Bleeding out takes time, while spinal and head injuries are instantaneous.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC