How do you keep a LO warm in their infant seat?

krfogle88

This one will be born mid-late February and I have no clue how you keep a winter baby warm enough. Normally it's cold here until mid March. I will be using a Snugride 35 with Teutonia clothes. I really don't want to use a shower cap cover as I found with DN it made her too warm and was kind of a pain to remove, put on, etc. So is there any alternatives to the shower cap cover?

ADS

Pixels

I have a shower cap cover with two zippers down the sides. It makes it so the front is a big flap, easy to flop open to prevent overheating and easily get baby in/out.

The alternative is to just pile blankets in baby's lap, but I find that baby kicks them off anyway.

NVMBR02

Blankets.

I didn't have a cover for my oldest. I tucked a receiving blanket (two when it was really cold) around her over the harness then put a heavy blanket on top of that. I could pull the heavy blanket over the handle if I needed to keep the wind off over her. She also wore a warm hat. I didn't like it when the blanket would blow around if it was really windy though.

With my younger two I had a shower cap style that had 2 zippers so it opened up really wide. Then I just unzipped it all the way when we were inside or in the car. Very little of the cover went over the baby when it was unzipped and I never found them to be too warm.

Katy

I have a shower cap cover with two zippers down the sides. It makes it so the front is a big flap, easy to flop open to prevent overheating and easily get baby in/out.

The alternative is to just pile blankets in baby's lap, but I find that baby kicks them off anyway.

I had that same shower cap cover wth the the two zippers. We live in MN and we have had one born at the end of oct and one born in feb. They never got to hot or too cold. Plus it was really nice not having to deal with rearranging blankets and the wind blowing them off while bringing the bucket in. It was the sherpa lined one at walmart for $10

aeormsby

I had Dec & Jan babies in CO - so we dealt with the cold. I had a cheap shower cap cover that didn't fit right, I think I used it once. I just put them in fleece hoodies or hooded sweaters for 'jackets' and then tucked blankets around them. Usually one blanket tucked around them and if it was really cold another draped over the entire seat.

featherhead

I'm in Manitoba Canada, where we frequently get temperatures down to -30C with windchills below -40C. With my first I had a fleece snowsuit along with a showercap cover, and also blankets. With my second I only used the fleece snowsuit on the coldest days, and stuck with a fleece sweater, blankets, and the cover. Both of them were a little older by winter time. This time I am due in December. I'm planning to get a fleece jacket/sweater, a showercap cover that is windproof and lined with fleece, and then blankets.

luckyclov

Blankets! Fleece blankets, in particular. I would sorta half-butt "swaddle" by tucking the blanket all around them (but not underneath or over their arms). :)

We also use fleece jackets.

You can cut the back out of a BundleMe...but, well, that's basically...a blanket with elastic around the end.:p

AtTheSouthDam

Blankets and a hat over their fleece jacket. If you are using tetunia clothes do you have the little bunting/foot cover thing? I used that with DD2's snugride and it did a great job of keeping the blankets at least in the carrier if not on her. She wold just kick them down by her feet. (We lost less toys this way too! She was 6-9 months during the coldest months).

Reactions: Mae

Baylor

We just heated up the car and then put LO in the warm seat in the house. Blanket to car and they were fine.

Emi's Mommy

This is what I did along with a fleece snowsuit. Mine was a Jolly Jumper cover. It's is really unobtrusive.

Kobain's Mommy

I have a double sided fleece shower cap cover I got on Ebay. It has a large flap and zipper on the front. I dressed DS in what he was going to wear. I put a fleece jacket on and hat, then a thin fleece blanket over after he was buckled. Then zipped the cover. I live in ND where like a PP said it's not abnormal to have a regular temp of -30*F with a -40*F+ windchill. He was warm enough. When I got to the car I lifted the flap and unzipped the cover.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC