Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Where to put RF car seat in Odyssey?

We just bought a 2006 Odyssey. We have a FF Britax Marathon for our 3 year old & RF Roundabout for our 18 month old. We are thinking of putting our 3 year old in the back row & our 18 month old in one of the captain's chairs in the 2nd row. For every day travel we'll likely have both in the 2nd row captain's chairs. However, we'll be going on a trip & the plan is that I will sit in the other captain's chair in the 2nd row and entertain the 18 month old, who is not the best traveler. I looked at the Odyssey installation on this site, so we currently have him behind the passenger with the tether on the bolt beneath the folding tray. Would he be better in the middle position even though there is no front seat for him to brace against?

Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus UlrikeDG's Avatar

Re: Where to put RF car seat in Odyssey?

I think side curtain airbags were standard in 2006 for the Ody (which is what I drive, BTW), so you're probably in one of the safest vehicles on the road when it comes to side impacts. Add to that the added benefit of riding rear facing and the fact that the RA is tethered, and you 18 month old is remarkably safe. Because the RA is tethered, there's probably not a whole lot of benefit to having it braced. I wouldn't let that be a deciding factor. I had my DD behind the driver when she was rear facing for ease of loading and unloading.

Also, my DD has never been the best traveler in the car, but at that age, she did worse with me sitting beside her than with me where she couldn't see me. If I was right there, she would get very upset that I couldn't take her out of her seat.
    Ulrike, mom to:
    Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)

See an inappropriate post? Don't reply to it; report it!
    Thanks for your help in keeping this a safe, SPAM-free zone!

I don't think it makes much difference. As long as you have the seat properly installed in a back seat and the child is in the harness correctly, that is by far the most important. Rear-facing is already inherently very safe, being braced is just icing on the cake if the child is otherwise properly restrained.

My daily arrangement in our 2006 Odyssey is my 8yo son behind the passenger seat in a booster, aisle in the middle of the second row and my 2yo son RF behind the driver. My daughter is front-facing in the "40" section of the 3rd row behind the driver in a 5-point harness.

On our last long trip, we moved my son to the third row, slid the passenger side second row seat to the middle and my wife sat there to occupy the baby. I could have had the baby in the middle and my wife behind the driver, too, but the seat was already installed there and it made it easier for her to get to the third row to help the other kids if needed.

So, I'd say to go with the arrangement that is most convenient for you as long as all the kids can be properly restrained in a 2nd or 3rd row seat.

My arrangement is the same as yours now, Darren. Except that my youngest turned front facing a few months ago, and the ages of my kids are a little different.
    Ulrike, mom to:

I'm about to move my youngest to a FF Expressway ISOFIX in the minivan. His Wizard will then go to our wagon, where he will be a little more protected since it doesn't have side curtain airbags and the seating is a little lower.

Carseat Crazy

The expressways are still safe? i mean they have not expired? I thought they stoppedmaking those around 2000 or 01?

I have my boys in the middle captains chairs in my ody and dd in the driver side side 3rd row in her booster.

But i have a rental toyota minivan which is an 8 passenger. So I have one boy in the 3rd row passenger with LATCH, dd in the 3rd row driver side with booster, and lastly the other twink in 2nd row drivers side with LATCH. the middle seat in the 2nd row is useless to me to use as I cannot see out the RVmirror with either booster or carseat there. So i leave it empty and fold it down. then i have to leave the other 2nd row seat empty so it can fold up for me to get dd and ds in the 3rd row. WHEW. i cant wait to have my ody back!
    Tracy momma to
    Felicia Rose (1/31/2000) Tiffany Parkway - 9 years old 50" 60 lbs~!
    Zach & Josh (2/17/05) In MAs and FPSVD - 4 yrs old and 35 and 38 lbs and 38 and 40 inches

Quote Originally Posted by reader View Post
    We just bought a 2006 Odyssey. We have a FF Britax Marathon for our 3 year old & RF Roundabout for our 18 month old. We are thinking of putting our 3 year old in the back row & our 18 month old in one of the captain's chairs in the 2nd row. For every day travel we'll likely have both in the 2nd row captain's chairs. However, we'll be going on a trip & the plan is that I will sit in the other captain's chair in the 2nd row and entertain the 18 month old, who is not the best traveler. I looked at the Odyssey installation on this site, so we currently have him behind the passenger with the tether on the bolt beneath the folding tray. Would he be better in the middle position even though there is no front seat for him to brace against?

Thanks.
    For everyday I would do this:

Put the 3 year old in the passenger Side Captain's chair slid over to the middle (You may still use the flipdown tray to rf to). Then put the rf'ing 18mth old behind the driver in the second row Captains chair.

For Travel I would keep the RF'ing 18mth old behind the driver, You sit in the passenger side captain's chair (slid over the middle again), and put the FF'ing 3 year old in the middle position in the third row
    Melissa
    Peyton 10
    Camden 9
    And a new baby on the way

The Expressway was made until 2005. I believe it was introduced in 2001, so only the very oldest Expressways would be expired at this point.
    Ulrike, mom to:

The Expressway ISOFIX was released a bit later. Mine was made in 10/2002 so it's not quite 5 years old. Plus it's been stored in a cool, dry, dark place for about 4 years now.

It believe it is still sold as the ISOFIX DUO in Europe with a few minor changes. Rigid LATCH is the standard there. In fact, you can see the ISOFIX Duo label under the Expressway label on mine...