Where to put RF car seat in Odyssey?

reader

We just bought a 2006 Odyssey. We have a FF Britax Marathon for our 3 year old & RF Roundabout for our 18 month old. We are thinking of putting our 3 year old in the back row & our 18 month old in one of the captain's chairs in the 2nd row. For every day travel we'll likely have both in the 2nd row captain's chairs. However, we'll be going on a trip & the plan is that I will sit in the other captain's chair in the 2nd row and entertain the 18 month old, who is not the best traveler. I looked at the Odyssey installation on this site, so we currently have him behind the passenger with the tether on the bolt beneath the folding tray. Would he be better in the middle position even though there is no front seat for him to brace against?

Thanks.

ADS

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
I think side curtain airbags were standard in 2006 for the Ody (which is what I drive, BTW), so you're probably in one of the safest vehicles on the road when it comes to side impacts. Add to that the added benefit of riding rear facing and the fact that the RA is tethered, and you 18 month old is remarkably safe. Because the RA is tethered, there's probably not a whole lot of benefit to having it braced. I wouldn't let that be a deciding factor. I had my DD behind the driver when she was rear facing for ease of loading and unloading.

Also, my DD has never been the best traveler in the car, but at that age, she did worse with me sitting beside her than with me where she couldn't see me. If I was right there, she would get very upset that I couldn't take her out of her seat.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I don't think it makes much difference. As long as you have the seat properly installed in a back seat and the child is in the harness correctly, that is by far the most important. Rear-facing is already inherently very safe, being braced is just icing on the cake if the child is otherwise properly restrained.

My daily arrangement in our 2006 Odyssey is my 8yo son behind the passenger seat in a booster, aisle in the middle of the second row and my 2yo son RF behind the driver. My daughter is front-facing in the "40" section of the 3rd row behind the driver in a 5-point harness.

On our last long trip, we moved my son to the third row, slid the passenger side second row seat to the middle and my wife sat there to occupy the baby. I could have had the baby in the middle and my wife behind the driver, too, but the seat was already installed there and it made it easier for her to get to the third row to help the other kids if needed.

So, I'd say to go with the arrangement that is most convenient for you as long as all the kids can be properly restrained in a 2nd or 3rd row seat.

UlrikeDG

My arrangement is the same as yours now, Darren. Except that my youngest turned front facing a few months ago, and the ages of my kids are a little different. ;)

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I'm about to move my youngest to a FF Expressway ISOFIX in the minivan. His Wizard will then go to our wagon, where he will be a little more protected since it doesn't have side curtain airbags and the seating is a little lower.

1girltwinboyz

The expressways are still safe? i mean they have not expired? I thought they stoppedmaking those around 2000 or 01?

I have my boys in the middle captains chairs in my ody and dd in the driver side side 3rd row in her booster.

But i have a rental toyota minivan which is an 8 passenger. So I have one boy in the 3rd row passenger with LATCH, dd in the 3rd row driver side with booster, and lastly the other twink in 2nd row drivers side with LATCH. the middle seat in the 2nd row is useless to me to use as I cannot see out the RVmirror with either booster or carseat there.:eek: So i leave it empty and fold it down. then i have to leave the other 2nd row seat empty so it can fold up for me to get dd and ds in the 3rd row. WHEW. i cant wait to have my ody back!

lovinwaves

We just bought a 2006 Odyssey. We have a FF Britax Marathon for our 3 year old & RF Roundabout for our 18 month old. We are thinking of putting our 3 year old in the back row & our 18 month old in one of the captain's chairs in the 2nd row. For every day travel we'll likely have both in the 2nd row captain's chairs. However, we'll be going on a trip & the plan is that I will sit in the other captain's chair in the 2nd row and entertain the 18 month old, who is not the best traveler. I looked at the Odyssey installation on this site, so we currently have him behind the passenger with the tether on the bolt beneath the folding tray. Would he be better in the middle position even though there is no front seat for him to brace against?

Thanks.

For everyday I would do this:

Put the 3 year old in the passenger Side Captain's chair slid over to the middle (You may still use the flipdown tray to rf to). Then put the rf'ing 18mth old behind the driver in the second row Captains chair.

For Travel I would keep the RF'ing 18mth old behind the driver, You sit in the passenger side captain's chair (slid over the middle again), and put the FF'ing 3 year old in the middle position in the third row:)

UlrikeDG

The Expressway was made until 2005. I believe it was introduced in 2001, so only the very oldest Expressways would be expired at this point.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
The Expressway ISOFIX was released a bit later. Mine was made in 10/2002 so it's not quite 5 years old. Plus it's been stored in a cool, dry, dark place for about 4 years now.

It believe it is still sold as the ISOFIX DUO in Europe with a few minor changes. Rigid LATCH is the standard there. In fact, you can see the ISOFIX Duo label under the Expressway label on mine...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC