Would you find this annoying?

Loves2sing

A couple of weeks ago, my husband's aunt had made a remark about how Dh's mother and sister were planning on coming to Calgary this week. So last night, I was thinking, hmm, I should make sure. Mil hasn't mentioned anything about it, and we have spoke a few times this week. Sure enough, she is coming, so I assumed, well they must be staying with dh's aunt. Well, mil is, but sil + 2 kids, are staying at my house. Um, okay! What? I couldn't believe that they just assumed that I would be all prepared for them. If I hadn't called to see if they were coming, they would gave shown up tonight, with out clean beds to sleep in. Does this sound rude to anyone else?

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Ayup... annoying as all get-out. Good thing you called her! (DH invites all of his friends and relatives here with little or no warning at all times...after 10 years I've managed to get used to it, but it used to drive me up the wall. ):whistle:

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
YIKES!!!

That is quite entitled to assume that you would be prepared for them with no warning! Geez!

Jewels

Senior Community Member
:eek: Yes that would annoy me! I like to be prepared for company ie: beds made up, extra food in the house, laundry done etc.

jn__

sounds just like my husband's family. They're family, so they're entitled, you know... totally rubs me the wrong way. I'm the kind of person who will say yes if you ask me nicely, but get downright petty if you just assume you can take, and trample all over me like that.

They also invite themselves along when I am having a get together with my friends at my house, or even if they get wind that my family is coming, then they must come too even if I didn't want them to, and no one invited them, they just ask what time to come!

mominabigtruck

Funny and true! I use sexual favors to keep dh from telling them:p His dad isn't welcome in my house anyways so it doesn't make that big of a difference, I just feel better knowing that they don't know.

Morganthe

If I hadn't called to see if they were coming, they would gave shown up tonight, with out clean beds to sleep in. Does this sound rude to anyone else?

Ummm, it doesn't just 'sound rude', it is RUDE of the highest order! Not annoying, not peeving, RUDE and INCONSIDERATE. Miss Manners would be absolutely horrified.

I don't have to worry about any relations showing up on our doorstep. Last year, my brother became insulted with my unease of his possible visit. So I'm off his Christmas list. We're sooo far away from any other relations or popular attractions, there's no way they even want to come visit. So we're off the hook :shrug-shoulders: :p

solmama

Oh, my! I don't even know what I'd say to that if it were my in-laws. Mine aren't welcome in my home either...ugh! Could you have them help you do a bit of preparation? Make beds? Clean? Cook? Would they consider that rude? In light of their abrupt arrival, maybe they need to help. Maybe then they would learn to call first, or await an invitation (that may not be coming).

Starlight

Senior Community Member
Ummm, it doesn't just 'sound rude', it is RUDE of the highest order! Not annoying, not peeving, RUDE and INCONSIDERATE. Miss Manners would be absolutely horrified.

I don't have to worry about any relations showing up on our doorstep. Last year, my brother became insulted with my unease of his possible visit. So I'm off his Christmas list. We're sooo far away from any other relations or popular attractions, there's no way they even want to come visit. So we're off the hook :shrug-shoulders: :p
What? Why wouldn't they want to come out to the middle of freakin' nowhere? There is SOOOOOOO much to do here! I mean there's the Super Walmart, the umm.... ummm.... crap, what else is there?

Starlight

Senior Community Member
A couple of weeks ago, my husband's aunt had made a remark about how Dh's mother and sister were planning on coming to Calgary this week. So last night, I was thinking, hmm, I should make sure. Mil hasn't mentioned anything about it, and we have spoke a few times this week. Sure enough, she is coming, so I assumed, well they must be staying with dh's aunt. Well, mil is, but sil + 2 kids, are staying at my house. Um, okay! What? I couldn't believe that they just assumed that I would be all prepared for them. If I hadn't called to see if they were coming, they would gave shown up tonight, with out clean beds to sleep in. Does this sound rude to anyone else?
Wow, that is totally rude.

Last edited:

CDNTech

Senior Community Member

:ROTFLMAO: It sounds like them! Sorry they didn't call to let you know ahead of time... thank goodness you were on the ball!

Loves2sing

I am coming to expect this type of behaviour from them. I know they would be horrified if they knew how I felt, because they are honestly really awesome people. My sil is one of my closest friends. I did invite her when I last saw her, I told her to come with Mom. But I at least expected a phone call to let me know WHEN. I was freaking out a bit to dh this morning about it, talking about how I need to clean the floors, vacuum, wash the bathrooms ect. Then I came to the conclusion, forget it. My house is tidy, and I am not doing more than the bare necessities to get ready cause I didn't have the time. I look forward to the visit, I am just annoyed of the lack of respect. Thankfully I won't have to deal with this type of behavior for long. The only thing about dh's family that annoyes the crap out of me is their style of "weekend visits". In a few short months we will be living about 5 minutes away from them, and this will not be an issue anymore. Then we'll have to deal with my family visiting.

Thank you all for justifying my annoyance. I didn't know if I was just people over sensitive or what. opps! They're here, gotta go!

elle7715

Whew, have fun! That does sound really rude. I have a hard enough time when DHs family calls to say they're 'stopping by' when they're already in our DRIVEWAY. They start out by saying, "What are you up to?" and let me explain before they tell me they're already there. I now lie and say I'm about to get in the shower, I walked over to my mom's, or we're extremely late for something. Gosh I wish we had a garage!

Loves2sing

Just a small update. When my sil walked into the house the *first* thing she did was apologize! :eek: She said she thought Mom had told me she was coming because she knew we had talked so often this week. And Mom thought Aimee had called because, why wouldn't she? She is the one staying here! So I am feeling a whole lot less "slightled" KWIM?

Here I am off to a fun day of watching Aidensmom's 2 boys, and having Aimee's 2, and my own! It's gonna be a zoo!! The oldest kid will be 5, then 3 2 year olds, and 1 10 month old. This is going to be nuts!!:dizzy:

Morganthe

What? Why wouldn't they want to come out to the middle of freakin' nowhere? There is SOOOOOOO much to do here! I mean there's the Super Walmart, the umm.... ummm.... crap, what else is there?

Actually, MiL & her husband visited for a week last Thanksgiving. I think she was actually relieved there was 'nothing much' to see.
I've dragged her all over the countryside whenever she visited us in Germany. It didn't even matter that I was 6 weeks postpartum after a C-section, I still took them on a three day road trip to Neuschwanstein & Rothenburg oT. :p I'd use any excuse for a trip :D

We just sat around and sat some more... and talked about people I've never even met. Yay :rolleyes: At least I got a movie date with dh out of it :p It was nice, just not my idea of a proper vacation :whistle:

Amanda, I'm so happy that it was just a huge misunderstanding and not you being taken for granted :thumbsup: Just goes to show, you should ALWAYS personally confirm plans before you leave... family or hotels :whistle:
Have a great time :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC