RSTV Questions (and a Tether Retrofit question)

Brigala

CPST Instructor
So I picked up an old style RSTV (LG) from another member here and I have some questions. The instructions aren't completely clear.

1) The pillow thing: Since it doesn't show it in any of the pictures or the instructions online, it must be optional. Right? It doesn't actually say. The instructions tell you how to attach it, but not whether it's necessary. I can see using it for long trips but not for every-day use.

2) The crotch strap: This is going to get awkward for use with a dress. Is it optional? What does it actually do? I can't quite see how it adds any additional safety. This may make the difference between whether I only use this RSTV for the vehicle in which I have no other choice, but use the Monterey for the vehicle in which I have space for a booster.

3) The top tether: Can it be used in a seating position where there is a 3-point vehicle belt? It's probably a moot point for my intended use, which is as a booster replacement, but for a child who isn't mature enough for a booster it seems like you'd need the top tether to keep the child in position. Without it, I think a child would still be able to wiggle out of place, if the child were so inclined.

4) While we're on the subject of a top tether, what about the optional higher-weight tether? Has anybody ever ordered this? How much did it cost? I'm thinking of retrofitting an EZ-On tether anchor for use in my Suburban in the lap-belt only position. My main purpose would be to install a car seat there, but it would be nice if I could put a kid in the RSTV there as well, if the child isn't too tall for the vehicle seat (no head rest).

5) And, speaking of the EZ-On tether, but in a subject totally unrelated to the RSTV: My step-daughter's car ('99 Honda Accord) needs to have a top tether retrofitted to use with the Frontier. But Honda's tether weight limits are 40 lbs; would it make more sense to put an EZ-On tether in there instead, which has an 80 lb limit? Can it be put in the same location as the Honda retrofit?

ADS

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Bump and a question?

I tried the vest on the child I got it for today. I can't get it very snug around her. That's probably not a big deal in the long run; by the time she outgrows the Radian I think it will fit her better. But today I was hoping to use the Radian for another (somewhat smaller) child and use the RSTV for her. Can I use it today even if it's not really snug? Or do I have to drive my Suburban around so I can use a booster seat instead?

I have to say I'm not incredibly impressed so far. I can't quite see how this set-up is as good (let alone better) than a booster for young children. I am glad I'm using it for an older, booster-ready child. I think I've decided to keep my Pink Monterey for her to use in the big car. I sure wish I could fit a real booster in the Civic, but I'm glad I have the option of the RSTV because I've tried everything else and nothing fits between the RF Radian and the door except a FF Radian.

AustinMusic

While we're on the subject of a top tether, what about the optional higher-weight tether? Has anybody ever ordered this? How much did it cost?

Unfortunately, I am unable to help with regard to the RSTV questions, however I can answer some questions about the E-Z-On heavy duty tether anchor. I purchased two for our family car from Midwest Bus Parts. They cost about $26 dollars and with a few basic tools, they are easy to install. I posted a kind of guide to installing them which you can read here.

We use them with the 103Z and 203 model E-Z-On Vests and the only difference from a standard vehicle OEM tether anchor is that they are much more substantial as they are rated to 168lbs.

I hope that provides some help and if you have any questions, just ask.

Gary.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Thank you! That's very helpful. That price is not much different from the Honda part, so maybe that would make much more sense for the Honda that needs a retrofit anyway.

There's a bus company only a couple of miles from my house which is listed as a distributer on the EZ-On website. I thought I'd stop in there and order at least one kit. Maybe several. I could really use at least one more tether point in my Suburban; and I have two friends with Suburbans & kids that don't have any useable tether points at all (in both cases, the official tether retrofit options are, well, not options, for various reasons).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC