Question 2011 Honda Odyssey: Five carseats?

AuDmom2four

We are contemplating adding another child to our family. I currently drive a 2010 Honda Odyssey. I LOVE my Odyssey. That's what I've been driving since 2005. I'd like to stick with it. I hear you can put a car seat on that "plus one" seat now (we would upgrade to that model when our lease is up next year). So, we presently have 2 Graco Nautiluses for my 6 year old twins, and two marathons for my 3.5 year old (FF) and 20 month old (RF). What arrangments of seat would you use with an added infant carrier that would still allow access for the 3rd row?

Would you try to put three across the 3rd row bench seat? Do you put three across the 2nd row? Is accessing the 3rd row difficult with three across the 2nd row?

Thanks for any thoughts. Just curious about the set up as we're contemplating things. We can't afford a Suburban and I really don't prefer SUVs anyway. Any other car choices work?

ADS

bnsnyde

Yes, you can do 5. We have this van.
Access to third row? Not so sure about that...

But 5 will work. We had 5 in the van but no access to third row. Now we have 4. 3 across middle and one in back. Folded down half of seat in back so 5-year-old easily goes in through hatch with no climbing over sear back.

If we had 5 the kids would climb. :)

You could even do 6 if you really were careful about seat selection in the third row, people tell me. I did not try this yet. (I have seen on this board 3 radians in back RF but that's perhaps not a longterm solution).

I did just have 8 people in the van, including 4 kids in seats. Worked great!

AuDmom2four

Which 3 carseats do you have across the middle? I just wish there were some way to access the back seat without having to climb through the trunk. If a FF seat or a booster seat were in the passenger side outboard seat do you think that seat pulls forward enough to allow access to the 3rd row?

bnsnyde

Middle we have RF Radian behind driver for 3.5-year-old.
Toddler, 2, is in the 8th seat RF Advocate.
Baby is behind passenger in a Chaperone.

and 5-year-old outboard 3rd row in a Radian FF with Superlatch.

I just tried moving a captain's chair forward (with the baby base on it). So keep in mind it's purely latched in and we've not used that seatbelt. There is "access." Not a lot. Probably enough for a small child though. But not enough for an adult to get back and buckle in that manner.

The trunk really is a lifesaver. :)

ElfJewel

We have a 2011 Odyssey and we used to have a 2007. In your situation I would probably put the 2 oldest in the 3rd row and have them climb in from the trunk. My kids do this and no one minds (actually they think it is kind of fun- even my 8yo). You can remove the center headrest to make it easier. The 2 younger ones on the captains chairs and the baby in the middle. I think there are some infant seats that fit there.
We usually have 3 across the 3rd row but it requires at least 2 rear facing and it might be hard to load a newborn through the back.

Marvin711

Are your 6 year olds in harness or booster mode? Do you anticipate your youngest to still be RFing when you need to have 5 seats? If I read your post correctly you aren't expecting yet, just thinking you will be adding another baby. Are you willing/able to buy new seats if needed, and is the baby "bucket" a must or would you consider a convertible for the newborn?

We have a 2011 Ody and find it much more carseat friendly than our 2009 was! :) I think it is very doable to find an arrangement that fits 5 seats and still allows easy 3rd row access without climbing through the trunk!

We've had a RF Marathon, FF Radian, and RF/FF CCO in the "plus one" seat, it is quite a bit wider and more substantial than in previous years plus has LATCH. Our favorite seat in that position is the FF Radian. A slim backless booster also fit nicely and allowed and older child to help with baby, but was a bit of a pain to buckle. All allowed rear seat access by leaving the driver side captain's chair unoccupied.

My suggestion would be to put baby behind passenger. Next to one of the seats I mentioned above. The 3rd row seems a smidge wider than our 2009, but I don't actually have measurements. We've had a couple different 3 across back there, I keep my 3 year old who is in FF harness on the driver side in the 3rd row because I can easily access her to buckle/load because of that captains chair being empty!

So all that to say it could totally be done! Might require a few different seats though!

AuDmom2four

Are your 6 year olds in harness or booster mode? Do you anticipate your youngest to still be RFing when you need to have 5 seats? If I read your post correctly you aren't expecting yet, just thinking you will be adding another baby. Are you willing/able to buy new seats if needed, and is the baby "bucket" a must or would you consider a convertible for the newborn?

We have a 2011 Ody and find it much more carseat friendly than our 2009 was! :) I think it is very doable to find an arrangement that fits 5 seats and still allows easy 3rd row access without climbing through the trunk!

We've had a RF Marathon, FF Radian, and RF/FF CCO in the "plus one" seat, it is quite a bit wider and more substantial than in previous years plus has LATCH. Our favorite seat in that position is the FF Radian. A slim backless booster also fit nicely and allowed and older child to help with baby, but was a bit of a pain to buckle. All allowed rear seat access by leaving the driver side captain's chair unoccupied.

My suggestion would be to put baby behind passenger. Next to one of the seats I mentioned above. The 3rd row seems a smidge wider than our 2009, but I don't actually have measurements. We've had a couple different 3 across back there, I keep my 3 year old who is in FF harness on the driver side in the 3rd row because I can easily access her to buckle/load because of that captains chair being empty!

So all that to say it could totally be done! Might require a few different seats though!

The 6 year olds are currently in harnessed mode but at the rate they are growing may out grow that and be in booster mode by then which I suppose would be easier because they could be on one of the outboard seats which would allow me to slide that seat upward and get access to the 3rd row. DD is FF and DS3 I'm not sure if he'll be RF or FF. I guess it depends on how he grows. A bucket seat is also a must for an infant. I'm not opposed to new seats if I absolutely have to but money doesn't exactly grow on trees these days ;) I guess we'll figure it out. I just wanted to see if it was possible.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC