GUESS what I just saw!?!?!

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I just got back from running some errands (grocery store, book store, Starbucks...) and saw something pretty amazing. Well, it was at least amazing to me. :p

When I pulled into my spot at the grocery store, I saw something that somewhat upset me. Parked next to me was a Ford Five Hundred with a RF Roundabout in the driver's outboard rear position and a FF Radian in the center rear position. Then, in the FRONT SEAT (passenger seat) was a booster seat (Britax Roadster or Star Riser Comfy? I'm not sure). I was a bit upset, thinking "you have another position in the back seat. Why not put the booster in the back seat?"

After I had done my shopping, I was loading groceries into the trunk. The family who owned the Five Hundred came out and got in the car. As the father loaded groceries, the mother loaded the two children into the carseats that were in the backseat. The mother then got into the front seat and sat in the booster!!!!! I was *shocked*. The mother was tiny (maybe 4'10" and about 85-90 pounds????), but she was too big for the booster. Maybe a backless would have been better?

Anyway, it was an amazing sight!!!! I wish I had had a camera!!!! It reminded me of some of the conversations we have had on here lately (about US sitting in boosters).

ADS

Loves2sing

Now if some parents could only see that and realize, that just maybe boosters aren't just for LITTLE KIDS!! I wish I could have seen that!

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
It was so great!!! I was SO pleased! I REALLY wish I had had a camera, though!

This also taught me a lesson--- DO NOT JUMP TO CONCLUSIONS. When I first saw the booster in the front seat, I assumed it was for a child. I still think the mom would be safer in the backseat (she was really tiny), but maybe that doesn't work well for the family.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
That's cool! What I have read is that a backless is much safer in the front than a highback because a highback moves you farther forward in the seat. A low back seat allows you to sit flush against the vehicle seat... although it's MUCH safer to be in the backseat if at all possible.

ThreeBeans

Someone who had a bit of marketing genius would design a low-profile, low-back booster with a higher weight limit (say, 150 lbs), for adults and adolescents under, say, 5'2". Then that person would sell these boosters for big money and become rich. Just sayin' :whistle:

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Someone who had a bit of marketing genius would design a low-profile, low-back booster with a higher weight limit (say, 150 lbs), for adults and adolescents under, say, 5'2". Then that person would sell these boosters for big money and become rich. Just sayin' :whistle:

Very true!!! There are plenty of adults who could benefit from such a seat! :)

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I would LOVE to have a booster......I'm barely 5 foot, and always getting neck burns from seat belts! (course, I'm a LOT heavier then 100 pounds...or even 150...ahem...)

j4m4d8

Have you read this paper?

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/nrd-01/esv/esv19/05-0212-O.pdf

Small adults may be just as well off in the front seat of a car with air bags, because of the better design of seat belts in the front. The article's a bit long and tedious, but it suggests the need for dynamic testing of rear-seat belts, which is not currently required. I would certainly support that.

Also, it has made extended harnessing a better option in my mind as well.

But, adult boosters that would be great! I unfortunately do not fit in a Parkway since I have a long torso. I'm small framed, so often the lap belt doesn't fit across my hips properly, although I don't have too much trouble with shoulder belts.

Julie D.

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
I was just thinking that I need a booster. I'm 5'2, and had to sit in the backseat over the weekend when we went to Idlewild (amusement park)... By the end of the hour-long drive, I had a nice red seatbelt burn on my neck (the front seats have the up and down adjusters, but the back seats do not...WOW was it uncomfortable...)

mommycat

I keep thinking this as well. Ha! Someone really should do this. Wonder if any of the car-seat companies would be interested in branching out...

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I've often wondered there isn't an adult-sized Recaro Start for special needs grown ups.... My friend who works in that field says her "people" are constantly pulling out of the belts, etc. & it freaks her out -- she pulls over, but says it then takes over an hour for trip that should be just 20 minutes (her car doesn't have Switchable/ALR, but the RYStart would help if it fit them!)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC