Do you trust DH to install?

Phineasmama

I was just thinking about this today...we were doing the car seat shuffle again and I had the true fit ready to go in DH's car. He was going to take DS for a ride somewhere this morning so I made sure to install it myself since it's the first time I've ever put that seat in his car. He's all like "what you don't think I can do it myself?"

And sure enough I had to twist the buckle stalk like 3x in order to get a tight install, which he would not have known to do :rolleyes:

Plus I checked the seats in his car one time and they were SO loose I was kind of horrified, since then I have always installed all the seats in our vehicles :eek:

ADS

3acorns4Christy

I do trust my DH on certain seats. And with LATCH.

Luckily he's good at the seats we use primarily so thats good. I need to teach him our backup seats so that when I go into labor he can bring them and install them in whoevers vehicle they go to.

monica-m

CPST Instructor
Yes I trust DH to install because he's not going to do something he's not going to try to go beyond his ability to install. He does an awesome job of installing the Recaro Como that lives in his car. He has 3 sets of LATCH and has no problem getting a great install in the center with LATCH. I don't know that he would even try to install the Radian in my car but he could probably figure it out if he had to. He knows to read the manuals but will usually leave seat installs in my car to me.

tiggercat

Andrew's installed seats in "emergencies" a few times, like when he got a loaner because our van was in the shop, and he did a pretty good job. He did FF her at 2 and 30) because he couldn't figure out the RF lockoffs and there was no UAS in the vehicle, but he moved the harness and took it out if recline mode, and installed correctly.
Mostly he leaves it to me cuz it's my "thing".

christineka

Nope. There have been occasions where dh has insisted that he knows how to install a car seat. Later, i found out he did some thing wrong- locking clip on the wrong side of the seat, seat moves more than an inch, rear-facing in ffing mode or the opposite. The only seat I trusted him to install was the keyfit with base, but there was never a need. Dh is no longer allowed to install car seats. He has no desire to learn, so I can't make him.

Phineasmama

That reminds me I need to make sure the babysitter knows how to install since she will be watching the kids when I go into labor! Thankfully we have 2 Marathons as backup seats and those are pretty foolproof!

djma

For the most part. Especially with FF seats. RF he would probably do it correctly - but he would doubt himself.

gsdguenter

Certain seats, yes. Others no. It's not that I don't "trust" him, it's just that he doesn't have experience with RNs or the MT so I won't let him install those.

He does well with Britax seats :p

Kobain's Mommy

Yep I do. I took him to the parents/caregivers car seat (almost a mini CPST) class. We each had to install a seat with latch and seat belt. DH did fine. He's also put seats in other cars. The seats were tight and in correctly. In fact he got a better angle with the CA in his truck than I did.

KaiLing

I trust him not to do it if he doesn't know how. Now that we're only in the MT he really doesn't know how... I think a family seminar's in order! He'll love that...

Emi's Mommy

With LATCH yes I do, with the seat belts(at least the ones in his car) no. The belts in his car lock at the latch plate and he can never get it locked. With LATCH, he's installed the MR and the Keyfit base in seconds.

MarathonMama

Absolutely! In fact, he's the only one who can install our 3 across as I'm not strong enough ;)

Otherwise, I generally check the installs and I've NEVER come across anything that would make me trust him less :) We've done so much shuffling over the years that I'm certain he could do it in his sleep.

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
Yes and no. He can do a radian in his car without batting an eye, but its a really easy install. Anything else? Not really. And do I still check? Yep. Really pisses him off too.

I'm also a total control freak though.

spinningfans

Nope, but he isn't interested to learn. He doesn't really understand what the big deal is. He could probably do it decently well in the event of an emergency as he's heard me talk about it plenty but if I'm there, I'm going to be the one doing it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC