MA child safety laws...

musicmaj

Is this right? Children are not required to be in a booster seat after 40lbs and 5 years old?

I work in a preschool/kindergarten in MA. I live in CT - so I wasn't aware of MA laws until I just looked them up. I have see some really, really bad misuse of seats lately and I can't stand it. The worst was a little 3 year old being buckled into just a seatbelt. I have also seen lots of small 3 year olds - they were not over 30lbs in backless boosters or in harnessed seats with very loose straps. To top it all off, I have seen a lot of babies that are too big for their infant seats (head over the top) but the parents are still using them. I want to hang some child safety fliers in the halls and maybe even hand some out.

ADS

skaterbabs

I'm not familiar with the specific laws, but I can assure you that legal or not, under about age 8 ALL kids should be in an appropriate seat, and for kids 4 to 8 that means a booster at minimum.

cmm7

Yeah, the laws are terrible here. I usually just lie to the people who ask... my lies vary depends on the age/size of the kid that is in question...

For example, family friend with a 5 year old, 50 pound kid. They were told that the law was 6 and 60. I would have went for a higher number, but I knew that if they even went to 6 OR 60 it would be a miracle...

Yeah, MA laws suck. Who wants to change them with me?

cmm7

Me! Me!

Now...uh...how do we do that? :confused:
Yay, finally someone to help me!

I don't really know how to do it though. Let's research that and then we can work together to actually get it changed!

Actually, I don't even have any clue as to how to research that...

NHCPSTECH

Senior Community Member
MA has been trying to update their CPS law for quite some time now. Last I knew there was a house bill or senate bill, "in committee" forever. I want to say they've been working on this bill off and on since about 2000. I can't seem to find out anything on it...I'm not sure how it all works but I think it keeps getting stuck somewhere. Last year it was closer than ever before and then I never heard anything more....I've searched mass.gov now and again and don't usually come up with much. I think it's time to search again....my brother is an attorney in ma, I'll ask him how to research the history.

musicmaj

Wow, so the law really is that bad. At least it is better in CT. What do you think I should do to educate the parents a bit on harnessing and booster use?

NHCPSTECH

Senior Community Member
From my brother : "This bill will have a public hearing on Jun 21 at 11:00 a.m. at the State House Room A-2. They sometimes lump all sorts of stuff together to consider it and it eventually will either be combined with some other bill or it will be reported to the floor with a recommendation of either ought to pass or ought not to pass."

I believe it's written to raise child restraint requirement to age to 8 and/or (?) 57 inches. I'll start a new thread in case anyone from Ma is interested in attending.

ThreeBeans

From my brother : "This bill will have a public hearing on Jun 21 at 11:00 a.m. at the State House Room A-2. They sometimes lump all sorts of stuff together to consider it and it eventually will either be combined with some other bill or it will be reported to the floor with a recommendation of either ought to pass or ought not to pass."

I believe it's written to raise child restraint requirement to age to 8 and/or (?) 57 inches. I'll start a new thread in case anyone from Ma is interested in attending.

Ok, I'm definitely interested :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC