Grandparent Misuse Gone Wild!!!

morninglori

Today it seemed like every direction I looked there was misuse by a grandparent...It was like every kid I saw in a car was with their grandparent today. I really try not to look, especially at swimming lessons because that's where it is usually the worst.

Swimming lessons - 5&6yo in the back of Mercedes, 5yo in NBB, shoulder strap routed under the armrest, 6yo in nothing with lap belt on belly

Baskin Robins - 1. 6yo in front seat
2. 4yo in convertible with bottom of ears about an inch above shell (I actually almost said something then DS dumped his cone.

Martial Arts - 4yo in nothing hopping around the back of Grandpa's truck.

ADS

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Welcome to my world. Well, not MINE....because I AM a grandparent, and I definitely would never do any of the above.

Kat_Momof3

yeah, but Kay... you just ROCK!

OP - I know what you mean. I see such horrid use during the summer with everyone out and about... and it's not just the grandparents.... I swear, it makes me want to just stay home and hide.

creideamh

My mom keeps trying to loosen DD's harness. "But it seems too tight!!!" ARG. Talk about not trusting your baby with your own mother.

We stopped in Coffeyville, KS on the way back up from Tulsa today. At McD's, two different cars pulled up next to us. One had 3 kids in a pretty new car (2000ish) with ~7 year old in front seat and ~4 and 5 year olds in the backseat. Not only did they not have car seats, THEY ALSO WEREN'T USING SEATBELTS!!!!! THEN! I saw a grandpa with his 2 grandchildren in a SUPER beat up pickup with only a front bench seat. Again, no car seats, AND NO SEATBELTS (like, the car didn't even have them.) AAAAGHHHH. The worst part is, there was a policeman right by all of us and he didn't do anything. :(

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Are you sure they were all grandparents? :p You never know! I took care of a little boy about ten years ago whose biological father was around 60 when the baby was born. Around that same time, I had a little girl whose grandmother was 28. You never know! :p

BTW, my parents do an awesome job with their grandkids' seats. :)

Pixels

safeinthecar said:
Wait until she is in the process of loosening the harness, then walk up behind her and start unhooking her bra. When she asks what your doing say "but it seems too tight!!"

I love you.

bnsnyde

Grandma drove the kids today (two of them). But you didn't see them. :)

The 5-year-old is nearly ready for the top slot on the Maestro. He grew since I installed for Nana!
And the 3.5-year-old is FF in her car and RF in mine. (Radian). Space issues.

But good installs and everybody was happy and safe.

robbertbobbert

Around that same time, I had a little girl whose grandmother was 28. You never know! :p

Dayummm. We did have a patient, though, who's parents were 12 and 13 when he was born, so I can see how it happens. That's just mind-boggling though.

I have hope for when I have kids someday. My mom is a safety-freak. I remember her making us sit in boosters when we were fifth graders or so (in the mid-90s). We hated it, but I appreciate it now.

Snorris2

turtlemama said:
MIL thinks a nbb is safe enough for a 1 year old. SIL is afraid to say something about it :(

My mom said that when I was little people routinely put children in boosters around that age-maybe 2 years old. I don't know how I made it out alive. Wait, yes I do. We didn't have a wreck. I'm so glad I know better for my children.

My kid's grandparents don't have much room for error. I install the seats. They just put them in there. This is exactly why I'm getting secondary seats so that I can always have seats in our spare car and that are appropriate for my children.

The other day, I went to get lab work at 6:45 am, and there were 2, perfectly installed (well, they appeared to be from the outside of the car), RF onside airs in a grandfathers car. I was impressed!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC