Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Would BMW X5 fit 3 carseats?

Quote Originally Posted by An Aurora View Post
    Now that I'm not on my phone--

I have the baby behind the passenger (he's two, but still the baby ). I didn't like the Radian RF behind the driver as the driver's seat moves when you unlock the door and it would push on the seat. I did have the Radian RF behind the passenger seat but it's tight, and I really dislike the Radian RF.

Current setup is ProSport behind the driver, Radian in the middle and CCO behind the passenger. The ProSport is in harnessed mode, this picture was when we got it and were trying it out

You could also very easily do a FF Marathon/Boulevard outboard with a Radian FF in the center and a RF seat next do it.

We had this setup for awhile (FF Marathon, RF Coccoro, FF Safety 1st Complete Air)

And this one (Britax Parkway booster, RF Coccoro, RF Radian)

And this one, although I didn't like the Radian RF in the center (and DD's seatbelt isn't in the belt guide of her booster yet)

This was our setup for ages (RF Radian, RF Coccoro, RF Complete Air)

Then we turned the Complete Air FF when the oldest outgrew it RF

And when she outgrew it FF, we got a Graco Turbo booster for her

The Britax Parkway also fit with that arrangement.

Thanks so much for all pictures. It may sound strange but I got to ask. Are other brands as safe as Britax?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

There is no one seat that is any safer than the next. They all pass the same minimum tests and every seat out there, be it a $45 Cosco Scenera or a $300 Britax, is presumed to be equally safe.

There are features that are theoretically safer, like extra side-impact wings or a steel reinforced frame, but nothing definite that let's us say yeah that's safer.

Posted by a robot and susceptible to unrelated and potentially inappropriate AutoCorrects.
    Anna~ RN and expired CPST (hoping to recert soon!)

Quote Originally Posted by An Aurora View Post
    There is no one seat that is any safer than the next. They all pass the same minimum tests and every seat out there, be it a $45 Cosco Scenera or a $300 Britax, is presumed to be equally safe.

There are features that are theoretically safer, like extra side-impact wings or a steel reinforced frame, but nothing definite that let's us say yeah that's safer.

Posted by a robot and susceptible to unrelated and potentially inappropriate AutoCorrects.
    Yeah, this. Britax has amazing advertising, but nothing makes them safer than any other brand.

On a PERSONAL note, I like seats with steel reinforced frames such as the radian, nautilus, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by P1ally View Post
    Ooh, have you considered getting a third row in the x5?
    Went to the dealership to test drive the X5 today. Per car manual, you can't put the car seats on the third row.

Right, they don't want harnessed seats back there. Not sure why. We are moving up to a 3rd row soon and I plan on putting my two oldest back there, in boosters.

Quote Originally Posted by moonsky

Went to the dealership to test drive the X5 today. Per car manual, you can't put the car seats on the third row.
    That's.... Peculiar... Anyone care to call BMW to find out why? I'm not arguing, just super curious now..

It's odd, but not unique to BMW. Several other cars, including the Volvo XC90 and (older) Acura MDX for example, have the same rule.

eklein

I just test drove an older model X5 either 05 or 06 and was able to put in my 3 seats (Britax Boulevard FF, Cobmi Kobuk with back and peg perigo infant seat) it was tight but fit. would be better to get a seat belt extender for the booster since that could be a challenge. We ended up going with an LR3 since it fit the seats even better and the cargo area was much more conducive for travel. My husband is 6' 4" and I am 5' 10" and we were both able to sit comfortably in both vehicles as well. Good luck...I have also been told that the 5 series BMW is wider and will fit 3 seats across more comfortably than the X5, I have not tried it but that's what I was told from our dealership!

Hi and welcome

It certainly can be a tight squeeze to buckle the booster in a tight three-across, but seatbelt extenders aren't recommended.

I'm not sure why the dealer would tell you the 5-series is wider? It's several inches narrower than the X5 and it has the same side bolster issue. I will say that my brother-in-law's Ford Focus had a smidge more room than my X5 as it doesn't have the bolsters. So even though it's narrower, it has more room since the bolsters cut down the usable space in the X by about 8".

The Mercedes ML350 is having an all new model coming out in a few months. I'd wait if you're gonna consider it. It's supposed to be about the same size tho.

The R series... just buy a minivan. Or get the MDX. There's a reason they're heavily discounted. Dorkier than a minivan but more expensive.

Oh, and while you're at it, you may as well consider the Audi Q7. People shopping btw BMW and Mercedes often forget about Audi, altho that's becoming less of a problem now.