Would BMW X5 fit 3 carseats?

moonsky

Now that I'm not on my phone--

I have the baby behind the passenger (he's two, but still the baby :cool:). I didn't like the Radian RF behind the driver as the driver's seat moves when you unlock the door and it would push on the seat. I did have the Radian RF behind the passenger seat but it's tight, and I really dislike the Radian RF.

Current setup is ProSport behind the driver, Radian in the middle and CCO behind the passenger. The ProSport is in harnessed mode, this picture was when we got it and were trying it out ;)
IMG_8762.jpg

220f064a.jpg

You could also very easily do a FF Marathon/Boulevard outboard with a Radian FF in the center and a RF seat next do it.

We had this setup for awhile (FF Marathon, RF Coccoro, FF Safety 1st Complete Air)
bodhi279.jpg

And this one (Britax Parkway booster, RF Coccoro, RF Radian)
Jan174.jpg

And this one, although I didn't like the Radian RF in the center (and DD's seatbelt isn't in the belt guide of her booster yet)
001.jpg

This was our setup for ages (RF Radian, RF Coccoro, RF Complete Air)
radian041.jpg

Then we turned the Complete Air FF when the oldest outgrew it RF
radian053.jpg

And when she outgrew it FF, we got a Graco Turbo booster for her
radian034.jpg

The Britax Parkway also fit with that arrangement.

Thanks so much for all pictures. It may sound strange but I got to ask. Are other brands as safe as Britax?

ADS

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
There is no one seat that is any safer than the next. They all pass the same minimum tests and every seat out there, be it a $45 Cosco Scenera or a $300 Britax, is presumed to be equally safe.

There are features that are theoretically safer, like extra side-impact wings or a steel reinforced frame, but nothing definite that let's us say yeah that's safer.

Posted by a robot and susceptible to unrelated and potentially inappropriate AutoCorrects.

P1ally

There is no one seat that is any safer than the next. They all pass the same minimum tests and every seat out there, be it a $45 Cosco Scenera or a $300 Britax, is presumed to be equally safe.

There are features that are theoretically safer, like extra side-impact wings or a steel reinforced frame, but nothing definite that let's us say yeah that's safer.

Posted by a robot and susceptible to unrelated and potentially inappropriate AutoCorrects.

Yeah, this. Britax has amazing advertising, but nothing makes them safer than any other brand.

On a PERSONAL note, I like seats with steel reinforced frames such as the radian, nautilus, etc.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Right, they don't want harnessed seats back there. Not sure why. We are moving up to a 3rd row soon and I plan on putting my two oldest back there, in boosters.

P1ally

moonsky said:
Went to the dealership to test drive the X5 today. Per car manual, you can't put the car seats on the third row.

That's.... Peculiar... Anyone care to call BMW to find out why? :) I'm not arguing, just super curious now..

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
It's odd, but not unique to BMW. Several other cars, including the Volvo XC90 and (older) Acura MDX for example, have the same rule.

E

eklein

I just test drove an older model X5 either 05 or 06 and was able to put in my 3 seats (Britax Boulevard FF, Cobmi Kobuk with back and peg perigo infant seat) it was tight but fit. would be better to get a seat belt extender for the booster since that could be a challenge. We ended up going with an LR3 since it fit the seats even better and the cargo area was much more conducive for travel. My husband is 6' 4" and I am 5' 10" and we were both able to sit comfortably in both vehicles as well. Good luck...I have also been told that the 5 series BMW is wider and will fit 3 seats across more comfortably than the X5, I have not tried it but that's what I was told from our dealership!

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Hi and welcome :)

It certainly can be a tight squeeze to buckle the booster in a tight three-across, but seatbelt extenders aren't recommended.

I'm not sure why the dealer would tell you the 5-series is wider? It's several inches narrower than the X5 and it has the same side bolster issue. I will say that my brother-in-law's Ford Focus had a smidge more room than my X5 as it doesn't have the bolsters. So even though it's narrower, it has more room since the bolsters cut down the usable space in the X by about 8".

The Mercedes ML350 is having an all new model coming out in a few months. I'd wait if you're gonna consider it. It's supposed to be about the same size tho.

The R series... just buy a minivan. Or get the MDX. There's a reason they're heavily discounted. Dorkier than a minivan but more expensive.

Oh, and while you're at it, you may as well consider the Audi Q7. People shopping btw BMW and Mercedes often forget about Audi, altho that's becoming less of a problem now.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC