Would BMW X5 fit 3 carseats?

moonsky

We already have 2011 odyssey and need to buy a second car. This new one will be mainly used by my husband to commute to work. We also plan to use it to go to Lake Tahoe for skiing but it will be probably 2 or 3 times a year.

We were thinking about Acura MDX but Dh is not really excited about it and kept asking about the X5. My concern is that we won't be able to fit all three carseats in there. We have 3 kids(5, 3 and 1 yrs old). Any thoughts? TIA!

ADS

Aurezalia

There's a member on here, P1Ally, who drives one. Her current set up is forward-facing Radian, Ride Safer Travel Vest, and forward facing Radian. The backseat is reeeaaaally tiny, but I dunno, perhaps with FF RN, RF RN, and FF RN it would fit? I'll send Ally here, she'll have more input. :)

P1ally

Don't do it. It REALLY sucks. The back seat looks large, but it's VERY small. I can fit 3 radians BARELY. I would trade it for an MDX in a heartbeat. Not to mention the build quality of BMWs is seriously lacking these days.

moonsky

Don't do it. It REALLY sucks. The back seat looks large, but it's VERY small. I can fit 3 radians BARELY. I would trade it for an MDX in a heartbeat. Not to mention the build quality of BMWs is seriously lacking these days.

Thanks. We wouldn't consider it as our main car with kids. it will be only used for our trips for skiing which will be only 2-3 times a year. The MDX is nice but it doesn't look cool(I am with Dh on this). We hope to have a nice car and a daily use with kid car.

we will by new car seats if we need to. Will the combination of FF Radian, FF Frontier, and RF Radian work? Could you please show me the pic of your current set-up?

BTW, did you also consider Mercedes ML350 at that time? That is another car on our list.

Thanks!

P1ally

moonsky said:
Thanks. We wouldn't consider it as our main car with kids. it will be only used for our trips for skiing which will be only 2-3 times a year. The MDX is nice but it doesn't look cool(I am with Dh on this). We hope to have a nice car and a daily use with kid car.

we will by new car seats if we need to. Will the combination of FF Radian, FF Frontier, and RF Radian work? Could you please show me the pic of your current set-up?

BTW, did you also consider Mercedes ML350 at that time? That is another car on our list.

Thanks!

There's no chance a frontier would fit. Zero. I'll take pictures later today.

moonsky

:eek::eek::eek: My avatar is now very, very sad. ;)

Have you driven both the MDX and the X5? We dropped the X5 like a hot potato after driving the MDX.

Sorry, it is just my opinion and personal preference. It is the way it look not the drive. Did you also consider Mercedez ML350 or R class? The GL is above our price range as we hope not to pay more than$60K for this car.

Also, it will be Dh's main car, not mine.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Ooh, have you considered getting a third row in the x5?
Did you have the 3rd row? Have they changed it since 08/09? I know it was one of the main reasons we passed on the X5. The 3rd row felt like an afterthought, just thrown in because they needed to for that class of vehicle. It sat super low on the floor of the vehicle, so yours knees were way up and it was hard to even see over the 2nd row in front of you. Not saying the MDX one would be stellar for a cross country drive, but the seating position in the 3rd row was superior to the X5.

That being said, I did actually like the X5. It just seemed that the vehicle was designed for the man who couldn't give up his BMWs, but had to drive his family around. So, it seemed like they forgot to consider the family. The driver's seat and features were super awesome! And I loved the small flip up portion on the tailgate.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Sorry, it is just my opinion and personal preference. It is the way it look not the drive. Did you also consider Mercedez ML350 or R class? The GL is above our price range as we hope not to pay more than$60K for this car.

Well I'd give the MDX another drive if you can, you may find the way it drives sways you towards it. It has a sports tuned suspension and feels like a sports sedan around corners. Quite amazing how they made it feel NOT like an SUV.

The R-class we didn't consider as at the time it only sat 2 in the centre row, not sure if they've changed that. And uh ya, if you want to talk about an uncool look....:ROTFLMAO:

We ruled out the ML350 based on price as at the time the Canadian dollar and U.S. dollar had met in value, yet most Canadian vehicles were still overpriced as manufacturer's were scared to change their prices and have the dollar change on them. Acura was offering a large rebate to compete with the U.S. pricing, BMW was as well, Mercedes-Benz didn't feel they need to, so they lost our sale. The vehicle would have cost us well over 5 digits more with the features we wanted. And since we liked how the MDX drove better anyway, we took the ML350 off our list. If pricing on it is similar for you, totally keep it on your list. Just make sure drive each one several times so you really get a feel for it.

P1ally

moonsky said:
Whatever it works with three carseats, we are open to it. Did you use your third row?

We don't have a third row. I know that having a 3rd row would cut down on some cargo space, but I haven't seen one in person.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I have three seats in my X5. I have done a variety of seats and my current setup is a Recaro ProSport, FF Radian, and RF Combi Coccoro. You absolutely can put three seats in it, despite P1ally's rabid hatred of her car.

Posted by a robot and susceptible to unrelated and potentially inappropriate AutoCorrects.

moonsky

I have three seats in my X5. I have done a variety of seats and my current setup is a Recaro ProSport, FF Radian, and RF Combi Coccoro. You absolutely can put three seats in it, despite P1ally's rabid hatred of her car.

Posted by a robot and susceptible to unrelated and potentially inappropriate AutoCorrects.

Would FF Frontier, FF Radian, and RF Radian work in X5? Where do you put your youngest one? Love to see the pic if it is not too much trouble. Thanks so much.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
No, the Frontier does not fit. I tried it with two Radians and with a Radian and a Coccoro.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Now that I'm not on my phone--

I have the baby behind the passenger (he's two, but still the baby :cool:). I didn't like the Radian RF behind the driver as the driver's seat moves when you unlock the door and it would push on the seat. I did have the Radian RF behind the passenger seat but it's tight, and I really dislike the Radian RF.

Current setup is ProSport behind the driver, Radian in the middle and CCO behind the passenger. The ProSport is in harnessed mode, this picture was when we got it and were trying it out ;)
IMG_8762.jpg

220f064a.jpg

You could also very easily do a FF Marathon/Boulevard outboard with a Radian FF in the center and a RF seat next do it.

We had this setup for awhile (FF Marathon, RF Coccoro, FF Safety 1st Complete Air)
bodhi279.jpg

And this one (Britax Parkway booster, RF Coccoro, RF Radian)
Jan174.jpg

And this one, although I didn't like the Radian RF in the center (and DD's seatbelt isn't in the belt guide of her booster yet)
001.jpg

This was our setup for ages (RF Radian, RF Coccoro, RF Complete Air)
radian041.jpg

Then we turned the Complete Air FF when the oldest outgrew it RF
radian053.jpg

And when she outgrew it FF, we got a Graco Turbo booster for her
radian034.jpg

The Britax Parkway also fit with that arrangement.

tl01

We've had a ML350, R350 and GL 450. We also now have a 2011 odyssey Touring Elite which is working out great for us. With the right seats you could put three seats in an ML. I'd rather do it in an R Class though but you wouldn't have much space for cargo it you used the third row for seats. We LOVED our GL but love the space of our Touring Elite. We take a lot of road trips and it makes those so much easier. Of your choices, I'd try the R350. Ours didn't have the third seat in the middle of the 2nd row but the outboard seats are pretty big so it might work with something like a radian in the middle.

P1ally

despite P1ally's rabid hatred of her car.

:ROTFLMAO: It's SO true.

And I didn't say you COULDN'T get a 3 across, I just said it sucks, and I'm doing everything I can to get away from this car.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
I know the current bodystyle X5 is larger than the posters here who have one (AnAurora and Pally). Do any of y'all know if the back seat is wider than yours? I can't find hip room dimensions online.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
The E70 is not any wider than the E53, it's just 7 inches longer, to accommodate the third row. I test drove a 2012 a couple weeks ago and put all three of my current seats in it. The third row is not practical for adults, but I have absolutely no intentions of sitting back there. That's what kids in boosters are for :p

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC