Do you have a spare car seat?

mom22boys

CPS Technician
I'm just curious if a lot of people (who read this forum, so I imagine the percentage is a bit higher than the general public) out there have a spare car seat in case of 'emergencies'. We have the 2 that are in my car (which the kiddos ride in daily and about 98% of the time), and one in DH's car for once a week use for the toddler. I don't move them around. Just curious... (and I'm itching for a myride to play with...)

Thanks!

ADS

Kobain's Mommy

I have 4 installed right now(my, dh, my dad, my mom's vehicles), 2 backups, and 1 my friend is going to buy. I also have 3 infant bucket seats. I need to get rid of at least one of those.

Holly

I have 3 kids, they each have a radian. Then we have one highback turbo booster that dd1 uses sometimes, and a fisher price safe voyage deluxe in dh's truck that any of the kids can use, he takes them one at a time on errands.

SAHDADDY

i currently have 8seats
4 are installed in mine and DPs cars, each of my kids have 1 backup/for nana's car seat
and i have 2 boosters one old parkway and one TB for my nephew and my ODDs best friend

bbartlettnfld

Nope! I have a Radian and a Monteray and that is it. We have 1 car and the grandparents don't drive the kids around.

I used to have spares but sold them when we moved.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Uh... A lot of them. I tell my husband as long as I keep it to under a 5/child average, I'm not that bad. Shh, don't tell him otherwise!

Aurezalia

Well let's see... I have 0 kids. :p
I nanny for 1 though, at the moment, and I have:
2 Radians (as well as a friend's that needs to get passed to her)
1 Monterey
1 Keyfit30
2 Turboboosters

And um.... I'm using a Frontier at the moment. It isn't even mine. :eek:

StillThankful

I laughed when I read the post:)

Of course we have spares!:p

Spares could mean differently to some people though. I have 2 kids and 5 car seats. I could say that I have 1 spare (b/c it's not installed). But, I really feel that I have 3 spares b/c the kids mostly ride with me. They rarely ride with DH, so I really don't NEED those seats for the car. But who could resist getting the new 45# rf Radian and new 40# rf MR back in 2009?;)

Sometimes I get the itch to sell all but two seats, but then I get an anxiety feeling. No kidding.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I have gotten rid of several, so I am down to two boosters, one combination seat, one convertible, and one infant seat.

All of my seats are technically "extra" because I only use them for my nieces and nephews (two seatbelt riders, one booster rider, two combination riders, and one convertible rider).

gsdguenter

:p a spare!

I have two kids and currently have 4 RNs, 1 MT, 1 Scenera, 1 Monterey, 1 TB, and 1 Safeseat.

I just sold a bunch :eek:

In all fairness though, the boosters and safeseat are never used. Just sitting in the closet until they are able to be used.

KaiLing

I have one kid and no friends. There's a Radian in the basement that we pulled out of car 2 when he got too close to the RF limit. There's a Snugride in the basement that I'd love to give away. Graco bought the MyRide back when it lost a screw. I had a Scenera 40RF that I bought because it was $35 but I gave it to the first person I could convince to re-RF her toddler.

I really really want to go to Target and try to buy half off seats I don't need. I mostly won't, because money should be spent elsewhere, but I might get a scenera just to show people and maybe give away to some other person who wouldn't ERF otherwise.

Long story short: I don't seem to be a spare seat-keeper, but I do exhibit spare seat-gatherer tendencies. Is there a drug for this?

Ninetales

We have one installed in the car and a spare in the house in case I need a ride somewhere and my husband is at work.

Pixels

Yes, and no.

We have two convertibles in my car, one convertible and a bucket in DH's car. Since we have an extra base and DS fits the bucket, I guess that makes the convertible DS is using in my car an extra. But it's currently in use, so it's not spare. Then we have two convertibles in SIL's car. She takes the kids infrequently enough that she doesn't really need seats for her car, but I'm not always available to install and DH and SIL are both okay, but I'd much rather check their work. SIL doesn't strictly need seats at all, she could stay home with the kids, but since she regularly watches my kids for free, I am happy to provide seats to make it more convenient for her.

So depending on how you look at it, we have no spares, or one spare, or two spares, or three spares. I'm hitting up Targets today, trying to score something on clearance other than a PINK seat, because I'm looking ahead a few months to when DS outgrows the bucket and we don't have a seat for DH's car.

Angela

Depends on what you mean by spares. :)
I have a Frontier in my car, a Monterey in DH's, a parkway and Turbo as 'spares'. Those are the only ones that fit DS. These are usually used for DS's friends if they come with us though.
As for seats that DS can't actually use - My Ride, Snugride 35, Radian 80SL (DS can technically still fit in it), Coccoro, and soon an Orbit G2 infant seat.
To my defense, I do take daycare/friends' kids every once in a while and use several for car seat presentations I do. :)

MorgieBear'sMama

No spares right now. I got rid of convertables as DD outgrew them.

We have 2 KF30's one for each of the boys. A monterey for DD in my car and a nb tb in DH's.

I forsee lots of ''spares'' when the boys move out of the infant seats but right now I'm loving the convience of them.

EmmaGrace'sMom

I have 2 kids...

In my car: 2 RN's and a booster for the sitters daughter when she wants to come play with DD

Sitters car : 1RN and 1BV

SIL keeps a scenera and a TB

My G-ma keeps a Gen65

In the garage there is a TB, MA, Avenue, and Chase. (The chase is almost outgrown by DD1, she's 38-39lbs so it doesn't get used much)

My MA and BV will expire next year, I'll have to do a little rearranging then.

Um...listing it all makes me feel a little :eek: I probably wouldn't have 2 of the RN's if my MA and BV weren't close to expiring though, I justified it by getting good deals on the RN's :rolleyes:

ginny4

we use the newer van about 99% of the time with kids in tow. the 2 seats in there almost never come out. the older van is rarely used has 2 boosters in it. those boosters get moved around. liek right now i left my DD booster in my moms van. i'll go get it when i need it. i have a true spare NBB that has been left unused for a couple years. i guess i'd use it in an emergency.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC