KF30 Question

Spam

Another ? in post #9

How wide is the kf30 base, at the front where it goes into the seatback? How about the Aton? I played with my 3across today and t35 is giving me a little trouble. The flared out sides are causing some conflict, I think maybe the blocky kf base would work better?

Last edited:
ADS

3acorns4Christy

Wish I was closer for you to try mine. My KF proved more trouble then the SS1, way more trouble. Because its so blocky it likes to shift to the middle of my seat actually close to the belt stalk. Which for 3across doesn't even come close to working in my car.

Anyway you could go to BRU and try it out?

Spam

bru is an hour away so I don't go often. When I have blvd70,fr85, t35, the t35 wants to interfere with the clip on the fr85 that holds the cover on, it's just hitting at the wrong spot, and it takes up a lot of space front to back when it's reclined enough for a newb. I tried t35, blvd70, fr85, but then the t35 base wants to slide over and under the blvd70 edge and it won't stay put because of the shape of the car seats. It was a no-go in the center, but I didn't try really hard either.

andre149

I never had to use it in a 3 across, but I found that in my car the kf base really had to be in "just the right spot" or when you tightened it the base would pull itself into the spot on the seat it wanted lol (L-R in relation to the belt stalk). Definitely hugged the belt stalk in my car, but I could get it a bit further away from that using latch (I realize, not ideal in your 3 across). That's a horrible description, and sorry for that... but it's kind of a finicky base as far as where it wants to sit in relation to the belt stalk. I would definitely want to try it before buying just to make sure it would work.

3acorns4Christy

Thats what it does in my car too. Really drives me batty as I LOVE the seat.

What about the t35 next to a RF MR? That has been the only combo thats wanting to work in my vehicle. I will try again, but the base goes in fine just the seat does not.

Do you still have your Combi that you did have, I know I'm not imagining you had that...maybe I am though. But if you still have that, it might work better as it looks like the seat slides on the base almost even with the base instead of the huge handled knob things.

cryswilkins

The Aton base is skinnier than the KF30. I am not sure by how much though. I can look when I go to work next, but thats not until later this week.

Spam

No, no i don't have the combi anymore. I had a kf before too, but I didn't need 3 across then so I don't remember much :( With blvd70 in middle, the t35 base pulls to the belt stalk and under the edge of the blvd. Dh's car is an 07 Milan (fusion twin), the outer seats are sorta shaped and have a like an edge, the center has a hump, a small one, but a hump. I only tried the MR outboard w/ the fr85 in the center and it was a no go. It might work if I put the mr center. I measured the distance from the edge hump to the buckle and it's a little more than 14" outboard, center is a little narrower. It was muggy today so I didn't play too long. Dh's gpa bought us this car last fall, and I really appreciate it, but also wish he would have asked for our input a little on it. Here's an interior pic, ours isn't leather, but the shape is the same. http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop/200611/2007-mercury-milan-4_460x0w.jpg

Crystal that would be great, thanks!

eta With the t35 outboard I have to push hard on the door to close it and it shoves the seat, is that an issue?

Spam

Okay.. another question. I played again today, and I can get it to work blvd70, fr85, t35. Only problem is, dh is eating the steering wheel with the t35 behind the driver, and well I don't want to eat the dash either ;) He says it's doable, but not comfortable. So... how much less space does the kf30 take up front to back? I'm guessing if I can get the t35 to work, the kf would too? I know the aton takes up much less space but I'm just not sure about it yet. Plus price wise, the kf30 is much easier to swallow especially with the trade-in event coming up.

Chely7425

The KF takes up significantly less space than the 35 IME :) And yes, if you can fit the 35 it is pretty for sure you can fit the KF.

Spam

As long as you can get the door shut, it's not a problem.

Thanks! I didn't think so, but wanted to check, today I didn't have that problem. I guess I centered the fr85 a little more or moved it over an 1" or so towards the blvd70 so the t35 didn't touch the door.

I used seatbelt installs on all three, the t35 base was tight, no movement at the beltpath, and I know that's where you're supposed to check at, but I could so easily swing the back end around. Is that normal? I can't believe I never tried that before. It doesn't flip up much, like coccooning, but I can move it almost sideways while it's tight.

Pixels

Yup, that's pretty normal. It can vary some depending on base shape and vehicle seat contour, but most seats will do it some.

3acorns4Christy

Definitly inch over the Frontier and you sound like you should be good.

My car has a bit bit of a hump as well. What works well for our three across is the Nauti passenger side, MR RF center then the SR30.

I need to retry the KF in that position but I've been lazy. I like the SR30 better so I am lazy with reason. BUT my babies are small, Henry seems like he'll be hovering right at 6lbs. So the KF would work better in the begining.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC