Car seat class for in home daycares, suggestions?

Angela

I really want to do something for CPS week this year. We'll have a check on Saturday, but I wanted to do something else. I've been thinking about doing this for a while, so that week might be a good time to actually do it. I've talked to our local library and I can reserve a room for free, so I have a place. I'm just wondering how many days I should do it. Do you think in home daycare providers/parents would be willing to take 2 nights out in one week, or should I just plan on 1 night? I'm thinking time wise about 6-8PM or if I do 2 days, I'd do 7-8 both nights and maybe do a Mon & Wed night? I don't know, I'm still getting this all down. Just checking to see what other's thoughts are. If you are an in home daycare provider, would this be something that would sound interesting. I'll have them invite their parent's also. So, thoughts, ideas, anything? :)

ADS

Cryssy Jane

I've done one here for my association and I'll do another one late fall. I do one night 2 hours and even after two hours some people have glazed eyes. I get permission to give it during our normal meetings or I honestly don't think many people would actually show up. A lot of the in home daycare providers around me are of an older generation and aren't really concerned, but mostly I think there's maybe 5 of us out of my association of 250 that take field trips in a vehicle. Most stay within walking distance if they go anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
One night. Most dcp spend so much time working (as you know, it's longer-than-normal hours) that giving up several evenings is a lot to ask. I think it's easier, too, to just be gone one night, even if it's for a longer time.

If you do two hours, I might aim to do a "lesson" for the first hour and then "troubleshoot" the second hour -- cover problems many dcp face (three across, shared seat) and allow people to ask their questions.

Angela

One night. Most dcp spend so much time working (as you know, it's longer-than-normal hours) that giving up several evenings is a lot to ask. I think it's easier, too, to just be gone one night, even if it's for a longer time.

If you do two hours, I might aim to do a "lesson" for the first hour and then "troubleshoot" the second hour -- cover problems many dcp face (three across, shared seat) and allow people to ask their questions.

Yep, that's exactly what I was planning. Do the informative part first, then spend the 2nd hour with a Q&A session and/or playing with installations.

bnsnyde

That's a great idea. I wonder if running an in-home daycare has any requirements about required carseat classes? It really should. Maybe it does, for all I know.

I heard about one where the provider would yell at the kids to duck every time a cop was around b/c there were too many kids in the car, sitting on laps. That probably makes everyone's skin crawl, but it was a very popular daycare in the middle of the suburbs that was impressive in all other aspects. Scary.

Another one I know of, the provider asks on Facebook for things like winter booties for baby seats (not shower-cap style), etc, or new seats b/c she said the babies now need to be RF again. The last point is good! So some information is getting around, at least!

I just don't think some (not all, of course) are informed or all that interested. So maybe that can change, somehow. :)

Angela

That's a great idea. I wonder if running an in-home daycare has any requirements about required carseat classes? It really should. Maybe it does, for all I know.

I heard about one where the provider would yell at the kids to duck every time a cop was around b/c there were too many kids in the car, sitting on laps. That probably makes everyone's skin crawl, but it was a very popular daycare in the middle of the suburbs that was impressive in all other aspects. Scary.

Another one I know of, the provider asks on Facebook for things like winter booties for baby seats (not shower-cap style), etc, or new seats b/c she said the babies now need to be RF again. The last point is good! So some information is getting around, at least!

I just don't think some (not all, of course) are informed or all that interested. So maybe that can change, somehow. :)

Yep, that's kind of my thought. Our ex daycare provider and her friend both have pretty awful car seat usage, so I'm hoping to at least get them to come and check it out. I'm really debating on giving at least a few seats away as an incentive. A friend of mine used to work for HACAP and mentored some in home dcp. I'm going to pick her brain a bit tomorrow to see what she thinks. :)

lourdes

I have a in home day care and if I was in your area I woud go to your classes, I am always installing car seats and I am not a tech, I just like to do it, like to know that my kids are safe, most of the parents don't install them correctly because they don't read then instruction manual, but here in PR I have no idea hoe can a get classes like this or how to get certificated as tech, but it is great what you are doing!

amelia222

That's a great idea! Here to have a home daycare registered in the childcare referral list the DCP has to attend I think it is 20 hours a year of related training. So I bet I could get at least a few in on that here.

emtb79

Here in Maryland we arent required to have training on it but they do give outdated material in our daycare manuals saying to keep them in carseats till 4 and 40 and says nothing about boosters I dont think anyways. The new manuals dont even have the appendix with that page in it anymore. Our resource center here in southern MD holds a class each year. Most of the daycare providers take it just for training hours required each year. They arent really there to learn just to get easy hours.

I think it is a great idea to do.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC