Would you force an 11 yo into a booster?

OhioM

I'm just getting tuned in to the recommendations for car seat safety (beyond what is the law) and y'all just helped me pick out some new seats for my younger kids which should be arriving tomorrow! My just turning 11yo has been riding with just a lap/shoulder belt for a few years. I think a lot of 11yos would be fine, but he is only 62lbs, and 53 inches, AND, our 12-pass Chevy Express has no headrests, just bench seating. After reading a lot on this board, I'm guessing that he should technically be in a high back booster! I sort of hinted around that he may be getting a new seat for the van, too, and he just about laughed me out of the house! I don't have a problem forcing this if I decide it is truly a lot safer for him, but what would y'all do? Looking for opinions!

ADS

Baylor

He definitely needs a head rest so yes. In my car he would be in a booster to give him that headrest protection.

christineka

How does the seatbelt fit him? If he fits the seatbelt alright, then I wouldn't push it. If not, then go booster shopping (online or at a fancy baby store) and pick out what he will consent to sit in. (Buy online, though.) Then when it's time to drive, refuse to take him anywhere if he's not in his seat. I'm sure there are some places he likes to go.

Baylor

And I feel your pain. I had the issue this year with my 7 yr old and keeping him in a seat. He is in a Probooster and was upset until he saw it and learned that RECARO makes race car seats. Now it is cool. But whether he liked it or not he is in a booster til he can 5 step safely and the car has all the right safety measures for him.

mkmama

With no headrests, he'd be in a high back booster in my vehicle unless I couldn't find one that fit him (and I'd be trying long and hard)...my 6 year old sometimes doesnt like that he's the only one his age harnessed, and I have a feeling it will be getting worse when we hit first grade and he starts having friends over, etc.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Yep - not only is my own 11yo still in a booster, I've made my nieces ride in one in my car, too, even though they didn't in their own car. My kids don't grumble much because they've never known anything else, but other kids? Oy. I just ignore it and explain that it's my car, and it's what my car needs to make the seat belt fit correctly, and it's my responsibility to keep them safe in my car, not anyone else's... lather, rinse, repeat repeat repeat. If they're worked up about the "baby seat" I'll show them the sticker on the side of the seat that says it's for kids "under 80lbs" or whatever it says.

SignCuer

Yep... and have done so... man was she flaming mad...at the end of the trip, she actually liked it :rollseyes: since she felt much more comfortable in it.

babyherder

I have forced an 11 y/o into a booster. She was very cooperative and it was backless (had head rests) but it wasn't a choice.

luckyclov

If you can't be restrained/ride properly in my vehicle (emergencies aside), you don't ride in my vehicle. I have no problem carting around my friend's 11-year old DS without a booster, but he's 5-stepped for the last year and rides properly in a lap/shoulder belt with an adequate headrest in my vehicle. A seating position which lacks a headrest is not riding properly, so, yeah, I'd force an 11-year into a booster.

Kat_Momof3

force is not what I would call it.

I would sit him down, explain why he's not safe, that a booster would make him safe, and then let him choose the color and even the booster itself (after I figured out what ones would work).

And if he decided to whine and act up about it... that's fine... he won't need to ride in the van...

again... I wouldn't call it force... insist... yes... force... that word puts the image of someone physically putting a child in something against his will.

tam_shops

I'm 5ft tall, I'd sit in a booster if there was one available in a car w/ no head rest. I've had whiplash & don't care to repeat that experience!

tam

babyherder

I would sit him down, explain why he's not safe, that a booster would make him safe, and then let him choose the color and even the booster itself (after I figured out what ones would work).

And if he decided to whine and act up about it... that's fine... he won't need to ride in the van...

again... I wouldn't call it force... insist... yes... force... that word puts the image of someone physically putting a child in something against his will.

True. I don't want to give the idea that I physically forced an 11 y/o to sit in a booster. I just showed her how the belt fit her better and told her she must use it in my car to keep her safer.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member

And we know that won't work- part of using a booster is using it correctly.

solmama

My dd is nearly the same height as your 11 year old. Yes, she's quite tall for her age.

A booster would definitely not be an option, especially since your vehicle lacks headrests. I think the Sunshine Kids Monterey would fit him well, and it comes in lots of colors. It's also very sturdy and supportive of kids with longer legs.

bnsnyde

I would use my booster to the maximum requirements.
Whatever age. 11, 12, 13.
Though my kids are very tall so I don't know they'll make it that far when the time comes. Probably they will not.

They could only ride with headrests, though, in any vehicle.

smileybrea

CPS Technician
Yep without hesitation because of the lack of head support. B is turning 8 and just under 60# and 50". He was in a harness all through 1st grade..gave me gripe about it a couple times but he wouldn't sit in a booster properly. He's doing better in a booster but I presume I'll get gripe about it since other kids were doing good to be in a booster in 1st grade..doubt they'll be any in 2nd grade but ultimately, he knows it's for his safety and I chalk it up to being a kid when he wants to do something else.

ElfJewel

My brother uses a booster with me. I only make him use a no back, but if I didn't have headrests he would definitely use a high back. He rides in nothing with my dad (and has since he was 4, my dad will not listen) and after the first ride in one he didn't argue again.
ETA: He is 11

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC